Spirituality FAQ

Spirituality FAQ

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
15 Jan 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
Ditto the suggestions maligning the theist viewpoint as a 'fantasy world'.
Hence its prompt removal.

Infidel

Moves
15 Jan 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
Ditto the suggestions maligning the theist viewpoint as a 'fantasy world'.
Well, it's the truth. But I accept that it shouldn't be in the FAQ.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Jan 14

Originally posted by Great King Rat
Well, it's the truth. But I accept that it shouldn't be in the FAQ.
Right, I think both sides need to understand that the FAQ is not the place to "make points" or to "push agendas".

Infidel

Moves
15 Jan 14

I think it's time for you to add a Q/A, Suzianne. Certainly you've been here long enough. You should be able to think of something?

Moves
15 Jan 14

Originally posted by SwissGambit
The answer changes from one atheist to another, so this is not a good FAQ question.
To my question for the FAQ, does being an atheist mean you believe there is no god or does it mean simply lacking belief that there is one (or more)?

LOL you just provided the answer. I think the question is essential to the FAQ.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
15 Jan 14

Originally posted by JS357
To my question for the FAQ, does being an atheist mean you believe there is no god or does it mean simply lacking belief that there is one (or more)?

LOL you just provided the answer. I think the question is essential to the FAQ.
I don't want to get bogged down explaining strong/weak atheism, much as I would not want to explain baptist/methodist/lutheran/catholic/protestant or sunni/shiite.

Moves
15 Jan 14

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
[b]Q Where does morality come from if there is no God?

Through reason and debate. Some developed societies are becoming predominantly atheist and this does not suspend discussion about what is morally right and wrong.

A great follow up to this would be something along the lines of:
Q: If there is no God, how is it that morality is needed at all?
A: ...[/b]
A: For some people, belief in deity is essential to their being moral. For others, it is not essential. Some atheists see morality as an internalized means of social control that is available to humans as an intelligent species. Some degree of social control is essential to a stable, secure society, which people tend to seek as part of their pursuit of happiness. Happiness, as Aristotle said, is that one thing we seek as its own reward. So morality exists because we want to be happy and it can help us achieve happiness.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Jan 14

Originally posted by googlefudge
Sigh. The idea of the FAQ is to come up with a standard response resource that answers
basic questions TO WHICH YOU ACTUALLY KNOW THE ANSWER.

Which means that atheists come up with responses to questions WE get asked,
and theists of various stripes come up with answers to questions THEY get asked.

It doesn't mean coming up with you manspalining ...[text shortened]... t atheists motivations are.

Your answer is wrong in every aspect, and is insulting to boot.
"Sigh. The idea of the FAQ is to come up with a standard response resource that answers

Which means that atheists come up with responses to questions WE get asked,
and theists of various stripes come up with answers to questions THEY get asked.

It doesn't mean coming up with you manspalining... or should that be 'theistplaining'
guess at what atheists motivations are.

Your answer is wrong in every aspect, and is insulting to boot."

Ok. Since Christopher Hitchens isn't here due to his physical death at the age of 62 would you please answer one from me?

Q: Why do some self proclaimed atheists on this forum appear to be in a constant state of agitation (rather than relaxed)?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Jan 14

Originally posted by JS357
A: For some people, belief in deity is essential to their being moral. For others, it is not essential. Some atheists see morality as an internalized means of social control that is available to humans as an intelligent species. Some degree of social control is essential to a stable, secure society, which people tend to seek as part of their pursuit of happine ...[text shortened]... own reward. So morality exists because we want to be happy and it can help us achieve happiness.
Best explanation of this so far, by far.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Jan 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Great King Rat
I think it's time for you to add a Q/A, Suzianne. Certainly you've been here long enough. You should be able to think of something?
One major problem for theists is that our questions are sometimes best answered not by those who "live the faith", but by those who are very well-versed in scripture to give a scriptural basis for the answers. Not all theists know all they should know about their holy book. Another problem is that I am a Christian and therefore not as well-versed on any other religion as a participant in that religion would be. It would be sort of a one-sided answer.

Plus our questions seem to be somewhat harder to answer. You know, questions like "Why, if He is such a loving God, has God either killed so many people Himself or condoned the killing of so many people?" Now granted, that sort of question, loaded as it may be, might be beyond a simple FAQ to try to answer, but you get my meaning.

I'll try to think of something more conducive to a FAQ answer. Something more fitting the venue.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Jan 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"Sigh. The idea of the FAQ is to come up with a standard response resource that answers

[b]Which means that atheists come up with responses to questions WE get asked,

and theists of various stripes come up with answers to questions THEY get asked. ...[text shortened]... imed atheists on this forum appear to be in a constant state of agitation (rather than relaxed)?[/b]
I call "loaded question" on this. As should be obvious by now, there are also some theists in this thread with a chip on their shoulder. I can think of 2 or 3 off the top of my head. It's not just an "atheist" problem.

Moves
15 Jan 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby

[b]Which means that atheists come up with responses to questions WE get asked,

and theists of various stripes come up with answers to questions THEY get asked. ...[text shortened]... imed atheists on this forum appear to be in a constant state of agitation (rather than relaxed)?[/b]
I don't accept your premise.

I don't know that anyone here is, or appears to be, in a constant state of agitation.
And I don't see the atheists here being any more 'agitated' than the theists here [in general].

I also have no mind reading ability and thus can't tell what other people are thinking.

However, this forum is given over to discussions on topics that people hold wildly differing
views that are really important to their identity.

It's utterly unsurprising that there would be, and is, friction.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Jan 14

I don't accept your premise.

I don't know that anyone here is, or appears to be, in a constant state of agitation.
And I don't see the atheists here being any more 'agitated' than the theists here [in general].

I also have no mind reading ability and thus can't tell what other people are thinking.

However, this forum is given over to discussi ...[text shortened]... important to their identity.

It's utterly unsurprising that there would be, and is, friction.
Q: Why do some self proclaimed atheists on this forum appear to be in a constant state of agitation (rather than relaxed)?

A: Newbie, "I don't see the atheists here being any more 'agitated' than the theists here [in general]." -googlefudge

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
16 Jan 14

Originally posted by Rank outsider
[b]Q: If there is no God, how is it that morality is needed at all?

A: Most human beings, whether theist or not, recognise the benefits that come from maximising human happiness and minimising human suffering. This might be as a result of a natural empathy towards our fellow beings or out of mutual self-interest. Establishing agreed standards ...[text shortened]... od and necessary for the smooth operation of society. This is true whether or not a God exists.[/b]
Sorry, but I can't let you off that easy.
You didn't answer the question.
Instead, you compounded the issue.

If "most human beings recognize the benefits" why is there a need to establish standards of behavior?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
16 Jan 14

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Sorry, but I can't let you off that easy.
You didn't answer the question.
Instead, you compounded the issue.

If "most human beings recognize the benefits" why is there a need to establish standards of behavior?
I suppose a case could be made for the general goodness of man...

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/never-before-seen-alfred-hitchcocks-holocaust-document-1497155364

DISCLAIMER: This is extremely graphic.