1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Sep '13 04:40
    Spirituality Forum Question for The Day

Paths of Least Resistance: To what extent do human beings seek paths of least resistance
    physically, emotionally, socially, intellectually and spiritually?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '13 05:411 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Spirituality Forum Question for The Day

Paths of Least Resistance: To what extent do human beings seek paths of least resistance
    physically, emotionally, socially, intellectually and spiritually?[/b]
    I watched some of the Red Bull Youth America's Cup regatta today.

http://www.americascup.com/

People seek challenges, and within them, seek the path of least resistance. Excellence is awarded to those who find that path, and the greater the challenge, the greater is the excellence.

So it's a paradox. We seek a challenge, only to defeat it.
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 Sep '13 19:531 edit

A lot, man. And sometimes I do think it’s warranted—as respite from the engagement. The error is to assume that our philosophical opponents are the only ones who are guilty, or that they always are guilty.

EDIT: As JS357 notes, yes, sometimes the path of least resistance is, in fact, the right path.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    03 Sep '13 20:03

I have to pysically now as I'm gettting older with health issues. I hate it because I've always loved challenges.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Sep '13 01:143 edits

The desire to pursue the path of least resistance is a human weakness that should be avoided. It is learned behaviour in my opinion from a child and reinforced even encouraged by society, governments and religious institutions.

Kids copy homework from other kids
    College students cheat in their exams
    Employees steal ideas from fellow workers
    Senior staff and business exe infringe copyrights and patents
    Citizens make the govt pay for unjust and illegal personal expenses
    Christians look for 'eternal life' [through the empty promises of a pastor] by just engaging in 'mouth worship'

All the above are distasteful and there are always consequences to face when the truth comes out.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Sep '13 01:32

There is no guarantee that the path of greater resistance is morally superior. In fact, the habitual pursuit of such a path may indicate an individual who is a sociopath. Greater results are often obtained by aligning oneself with the rhythms of nature than by battling to alter and control its course, although this may seem a heretical notion to those who are addicted to the mythology of progress.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Sep '13 01:54
    Originally posted by rwingett
    There is no guarantee that the path of greater resistance is morally superior. In fact, the habitual pursuit of such a path may indicate an individual who is a sociopath. Greater results are often obtained by aligning oneself with the rhythms of nature than by battling to alter and control its course, although this may seem a heretical notion to those who are addicted to the mythology of progress.
    When [like in the examples I gave above] the path of least resistance is morally inferior to other courses of action, and an individual still pursues this path, then that individual is morally inferior. It is not about progress but about doing what is just and right and fair and in the best interest of all concerned.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Sep '13 02:19
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    When [like in the examples I gave above] the path of least resistance is morally inferior to other courses of action, and an individual still pursues this path, then that individual is morally inferior. It is not about progress but about doing what is just and right and fair and in the best interest of all concerned.
    True. But imbibing the values of a competitive culture serves to heighten the value placed upon the struggle and strife associated with the path of greatest resistance. A cooperative culture, as with, say, the Amish may espouse a very different set of values without any necessary detriment to that culture.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Sep '13 02:261 edit
    2. Events at Death: Our material being begins the 'slow, smokeless burning of decay' and decomposition at physical death; what happens to our immaterial being (the capacity to receive, process, learn, build banks of knowledge, utilize memory storage, develop norms and standards, recall, apply principles in deciding between alternative options) at that moment?
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Sep '13 02:29
    2. Events at Death: Our material being begins the slow, smokeless burning of decay and decomposition at physical death; what happens to our immaterial being (the capacity to receive, process, learn, build banks of knowledge, utilize memory storage, develop norms and standards, recall, apply principles in deciding between alternative options) at that moment?
    It ceases. Or so I suspect.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Sep '13 02:50
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It ceases. Or so I suspect.
    You and I (our immaterial selfhood, the essential center of our beings) will 'cease' to be gradually or instantly at death?
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Sep '13 11:19
    You and I (our immaterial selfhood, the essential center of our beings) will 'cease' to be gradually or instantly at death?
    It could be either one. Although if it's gradual, it will be a gradual decline leading up to death. Once death is definitively ascertained, then your immaterial self is no more. Or so I suspect.
  13. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Sep '13 11:47

They do not do this.

However humans beings seek the path of sense gratification.

And this is the path of most resistance.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Sep '13 02:39
    3. Have you ever considered the premise that imbedded hatred of another person is the equivalent of mental murder
    (lacking only the convenient circumstantial opportunity, passionate rage of the moment and alibi to committed it)?
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 03:01

3. Have you ever considered the premise that imbedded hatred of another person is the equivalent of mental murder
    (lacking only the convenient circumstantial opportunity, passionate rage of the moment and alibi to committed it)?
    4. Why has this simple question been avoided by theists and atheists and in-betweeners alike?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree