1. Arizona, USA
    Moves
    05 Mar '05 20:53
    I enjoyed the give-and-take type of discussions on theology with co-workers when there was a lull in work. It went on several years. Then a meeting for all employees was called. The upshot of the meeting was that religion is not a suitable topic for discussion during business hours. I suspect management was worried that a certain employee (a paralegal, she was) might sue them over harassment if they didn't issue the prohibition.

The funny thing is, the manager who spoke to us during that meeting will sometimes bring up religion with me when there are no other employees in the room. He knows me well enough to realize that I thoroughly enjoy debate and would never even consider sueing over it.
  2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    05 Mar '05 21:01
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Queer Theory is a growing academic field: one inhabited mostly by gays and lesbians, but also by some straight folks.

I don't know where you are getting your information, but it is bad information. Perhaps it is something you learned in church?

See http://www.colorado.edu/English/ENGL2012Klages/queertheory.html
    Information? It was my opinion. But thanks for being a jerk. Makes me look better by comparison.
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    05 Mar '05 21:05
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Information? It was my opinion. But thanks for being a jerk. Makes me look better by comparison.
    Darfius, only dj2becker and sometimes ivanhoe, make you look better by comparison.
  4. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    05 Mar '05 21:121 edit
    Right. So now anyone who is not a member of your cult will recognize that you've basically admitted to my claim.

What is your claim? I forgot.

Well, once you've really read the book you put so much faith in, you'll know what I'm referring to.

No I wouldn't, because it's an incomplete sentence. Check it out again and try to string together something intelligable, please.

I was thinking of these 2 defintions. Both fit the bill.

a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents

a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents

from Merriam - Webster

Then I suppose it fits the denotation, but surely not the connotation.

The accounts in the four gospels of the resurrection and the proceeding events are so riddled with what we may call for now surface anamolies that you must come up with a ridiculous story to account for all the claims while not adding anything superfluous. Of course, this should be expected from material written half a century after the event by people who weren't even there!

Or...you could look to other parts of the Bible to explain it. Or think of it in terms of 1st century Christians, since that's who it was written to. They would know things you didn't.

This is like that other crap about admitting that Jesus was a real person. Rash stupidity. Obviously, at the time I was quite convinced that I had a spirit that it had been redeemed by Christ through his precious blood on the cross and his mighty resurrection which took the keys of hell from Satan. Now I do not believe those things. That's what happens when you emerge from a cult. You realize that what you thought was real was a bunch of crap. It's really very easy to understand. If you made half the effort understanding others as you do upholding your narrow view of the bible, you'd have gotten it.

Again, you're assuming you know everything. Arrogant and stupid, to say the least. I just claim to know God.

Remember I was quite well-versed in your cult. You are clearly not well versed in reason or science. Try checking out the view from the other side.

Wow, degenerating to calling me stupid again? What's happening, tel? Anyway, I'm taking science, have studied it, and I find myself to be quite reasonable. I would need proof of irrationality before I consider that suggestion.

Study statistics sometime, then you'll care about polls. Walking up to some one and acting like a jackass is no way to get a decent observation. Better stick to literature. Actually, better step down to accounting.

How would declaring your faith to a "fellow Christian" be considered acting like a jackass? If they were truly a Christian, they would rejoice and agree. Polls mean squat. Polls said John Kerry would win the election. Oops.

Not your atheist family I hope?

I was referring to my Christian brothers and sisters. Though I do trust my atheist family, because they love me in spite of lacking Christ. It's not as deep a love, but it exists. I trust atheists, too, for the most part. I give people the benefit of the doubt.

Hey just keep wearing those rose-colored glasses.

Ok, keep wearing that blindfold.

Brilliant!

Oh and by the way.
    concise
    1 : marked by brevity of expression or statement : free from all elaboration and superfluous detail
    2 : cut short

Merriam-Webster

How is coherency superfluous? It's rather important to know that X means Christ, and not everyone has studied it.
  5. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    05 Mar '05 21:13
    Originally posted by telerion
    Darfius, only dj2becker and sometimes ivanhoe, make you look better by comparison.
    You went from being a gentlemen to a childish antagonist, tel. What happened?
  6. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    05 Mar '05 21:201 edit
    You went from being a gentlemen to a childish antagonist, tel. What happened?
    Darfius, your claims of humility are obviously false. Your actions since you came onto this site speak otherwise.

You are right though. Your repeated displays of ignorance have caused me to lose my patience. I don't like to be rude. Perhaps it would be better if I didn't respond to you anymore. Good luck with your studies. Work hard, and don't assume you've already got everything figured out. You'll only rob yourself.

You have a lot to learn Dar. So do I.

Ciao.
  7. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    05 Mar '05 21:24
    Originally posted by telerion
    Darfius, your claims of humility are obviously false. Your actions since you came onto this site speak otherwise.

You are right though. Your repeated displays of ignorance have caused me to lose my patience. I don't like to be rude. Perhaps it would be better if I didn't respond to you anymore. Good luck with your studies. Work hard, and don't ...[text shortened]... igured out. You'll only rob yourself.

You have a lot to learn Dar. So do I.

Ciao.
    I wish you wouldn't confuse my unwavering defense of my faith with pride.

Thanks for the well wishes. You take care, too.
  8. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    05 Mar '05 22:00

Seven Principles of Spirituality in the Workplace

http://www.itstime.com/rainbow.htm

..... tweet tweet tweet ..... tweeheet ......
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    07 Mar '05 02:00
    I recognized it as your opinion, and identified your pronouncement as one that could only appeal to someone who is misinformed.

If confronting ignorance with information makes one a jerk, then I'll happily embrace the label.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree