1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    15 Jan '16 17:081 edit
    Spirituality Quotations - Part 3

    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby Thread 162554 (Page 21)
    "The room at Guinea Station where Lt. General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson died. Sunday, May 10, 1863.
    Click here to see a brief video of this room (large file).

    "On Sunday May 10, 1863, in the bed pictured above, Confederate Lieutenant General Thomas Jonathan Jackson passed from this earth. A devoutly religious man, when notified that he had not long to live, Jackson replied, "It is the Lord's Day. My wish is fulfilled. I have always desired to die on Sunday." His personal physician, Dr. Hunter McGuire, noted his final words. "A few moments before he died he cried out in his delirium, 'Order A.P. Hill to prepare for action! Pass the infantry to the front rapidly! Tell Major Hawks' -- then stopped, leaving the sentence unfinished. Presently a smile of ineffable sweetness spread itself over his pale face, and he said quietly, and with an expression, as if of relief, 'Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees." Captain James Power Smith who "all night long" kept his General "warmly wrapped and undisturbed in his sleep" would also later write: "And here, against our hopes, notwithstanding the skill and care of wise and watchful surgeons, attended day and night by wife and friends, amid the prayers and tears of all the Southern land, thinking not of himself, but of the cause he loved, and for the troops who had followed him so well and given him so great a name, our chief sank, day by day, with symptoms of pneumonia and some pains of pleurisy, until, 3:15 P.M. on the quiet of the Sabbath afternoon, May 10th, 1863, he raised himself from his bed, saying, " No, no, let us pass over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"; and, falling again to his pillow, he passed away, over the river, where, in a land where warfare is not known or feared, he rests forever 'under the trees.'"

    Chancellorsville Jackson Monument Inscription: "He rests forever under the trees." http://brotherswar.com/Chancellorsville-7.htm

    "Notes: Included on the final page of my wife's eulogy. What had Jackson to fear? Nothing. He was going home to be with someone he loved." (3 of 3) Thread 163972
  2. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    320
    25 Jan '16 01:45
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Spirituality Quotations - Part 3

    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby Thread 162554 (Page 21)
    "The room at Guinea Station where Lt. General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson died. Sunday, May 10, 1863.
    Click here to see a brief video of this room (large file).

    "On Sunday May 10, 1863, in the bed pictured above, Confederate ...[text shortened]... r? Nothing. He was going home to be with someone he loved." (3 of 3) Thread 163972[/b]
    The qoute that comes to mind regarding this poignant picture is:
    (John 5:28, 29) Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, and those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.
    And so he will get a chance to sit under the trees in paradise.
  3. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    320
    26 Jan '16 20:41
    Perhaps you do not believe in the resurrection.
    If so, maybe John 11:14, 43,44 could be considered.
    (John 11:14) Then Jesus said to them plainly: “Lazʹa·rus has died,
    (John 11:43, 44) When he had said these things, he cried out with a loud voice: “Lazʹa·rus, come out!” 44 The man who had been dead came out with his feet and hands bound with wrappings, and his face was wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them: “Free him and let him go.”

    It seems like Lazarus was a good disciple of Jesus.
    Why didn't Jesus leave him in Heaven?

    Or perhaps you are not a debating type.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    02 Feb '16 19:13
    "Religion is the fashionable substitute for belief." -Oscar Wilde
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12692
    02 Feb '16 21:59
    Originally posted by roigam
    Perhaps you do not believe in the resurrection.
    If so, maybe John 11:14, 43,44 could be considered.
    (John 11:14) Then Jesus said to them plainly: “Lazʹa·rus has died,
    (John 11:43, 44) When he had said these things, he cried out with a loud voice: “Lazʹa·rus, come out!” 44 The man who had been dead came out with his feet and hands bound with wrappings, and ...[text shortened]... iple of Jesus.
    Why didn't Jesus leave him in Heaven?

    Or perhaps you are not a debating type.
    Obviously, Jesus wanted to show the power of God as He did with all the other miracles He performed. 😏
  6. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    320
    04 Feb '16 00:38
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Obviously, Jesus wanted to show the power of God as He did with all the other miracles He performed. 😏
    True and Jesus will use that same power of His Father, Jehovah God, in the general resurrection after this system is ended.
    Lazarus was a preview of good things to come!
    The same could be said of all the miracles Jesus performed.

    That general resurrection means we don't have to waste time on charting our family tree.
    We can meet each of our family members in person.
    We can find out what kind of life they had.
    Even better, we can help them to gain the everlasting life that Jehovah has in store for those who want it.
  7. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    04 Feb '16 07:53
    Originally posted by roigam
    True and Jesus will use that same power of His Father, Jehovah God, in the general resurrection after this system is ended.
    Lazarus was a preview of good things to come!
    The same could be said of all the miracles Jesus performed.

    That general resurrection means we don't have to waste time on charting our family tree.
    We can meet each of our family membe ...[text shortened]... , we can help them to gain the everlasting life that Jehovah has in store for those who want it.
    Everlasting life is for those who deserve it, rather than for those who want it, as you claim.
  8. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    320
    09 Feb '16 02:21
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Everlasting life is for those who deserve it, rather than for those who want it, as you claim.
    (Romans 3:23) For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
    (1 John 1:8) If we make the statement, “We have no sin,” we are misleading ourselves and the truth is not in us.
    It's obvious that no one deserves everlasting life.
    (Romans 6:23) For the wages sin pays is death, but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord.
    Continued life depends on God's gracious gift through Christ Jesus!
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    06 Mar '16 01:58
    "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved." (Acts 16:31)
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    06 Mar '16 03:351 edit
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    06 Mar '16 17:14
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Everlasting life is for those who deserve it, rather than for those who want it, as you claim.
    Please have the courtesy to provide the specific book, chapter and verse within the Word of God which support your personal opinion that
    "Everlasting life is for those who deserve it, rather than for those who want it, as you claim." ~Rajik999 | Thank you. -GB
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86285
    06 Mar '16 18:23
    Originally posted by roigam
    ?..Or perhaps you are not a debating type.
    This is a bit cheeky of you, consider you are repeateldy refusing to address my posts about you believing an angel died for your sins.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    07 Mar '16 01:09
    Originally posted by divegeester
    This is a bit cheeky of you, consider you are repeateldy refusing to address my posts about you believing an angel died for your sins.
    Please ask your own pastor for clarification regarding your salvation and eternal life.
  14. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    07 Mar '16 01:22
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Please ask your own pastor for clarification regarding your salvation and eternal life.
    If you had your own blog you could, if you chose to, suspend all debate and discussion about spirituality, and post the message "Please ask your own pastor for clarification regarding your salvation and eternal life" instead. 😉

    What would you say if someone followed your advice and asked their own pastor, and that pastor then said that Jesus is, in fact, the Archangel Michael, would that resolve the debate to your way of thinking?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86285
    07 Mar '16 07:551 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Please ask your own pastor for clarification regarding your salvation and eternal life.
    Do you have a pastor who you ask clarification from Grampy Bobby?
Back to Top