Spirituality without religious belief

Spirituality without religious belief

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
10 Aug 09

I'm well over the endless back and forward posts of creation, evolution, evil, life after death, my belief is better than yours, and on and on and on it goes.
If you also fall into this category of wanting to discuss things without returning to the dogma of your religious or scientific or other position, then maybe you might like to discuss with me the notion of spirituality as it might exist without the foundation of belief in the supernatural.
I'm aware the calling it spirituality calls up the 'spirit', but let's just accept that we'll use it as a simple word to describe something. What does it describe? What do you think it is? In the absence of gods what does it mean to you?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
10 Aug 09

Originally posted by amannion
I'm well over the endless back and forward posts of creation, evolution, evil, life after death, my belief is better than yours, and on and on and on it goes.
If you also fall into this category of wanting to discuss things without returning to the dogma of your religious or scientific or other position, then maybe you might like to discuss with me the not ...[text shortened]... oes it describe? What do you think it is? In the absence of gods what does it mean to you?
I try to avoid the word because of its overtly religious connotations. But one can certainly be spiritual without being religious. In fact, I might recommend it.

jb

Moves
10 Aug 09

If you also fall into this category of wanting to discuss things without returning to the dogma of your religious or scientific or other position, then maybe you might like to discuss with me the not ...[text shortened]... oes it describe? What do you think it is? In the absence of gods what does it mean to you?
Spirituality to me describes the awareness of our existance outside of our physical being. If there is no god, then I think there is still spirituality. Things like love dont weigh anything and has no physical dimensions but it sure exists. In the same kind of way we also exist.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
10 Aug 09

DH Lawrence.

Moves
10 Aug 09

Compassion is the foundation of the religious. It cannot be captured by a belief. It can only be demonstrated thru your life. It needs no justification. Everyone can recognize it but it so hard to see. Once you do get a grip on it you realize it was within your grasp the whole time. You drop it the first chance you get. If you know it then you know that everything else doesn't really matter.

F

Moves
10 Aug 09

Originally posted by TerrierJack
Compassion is the foundation of the religious.
There are a lot of exceptions there...

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
10 Aug 09

Your post is definately a step in the right direction. Lets move beyond dogma and start really getting into the nitty-gritty of this most troubelsome subject.

To me spirituality should mean nothing else than living life in accordance with our dharma. To live in the moment does not allow for future fearing or past lamenting. It is a matter of creating and re-creating a viable present that makes way for a more productive and harmonious future.

In this sense our opinions a paramount to forging a decent way forward for ourselves and for our children. In other societies the shamans were (are) considered the most important people because they were in direct contact with 'higher forces' . Their direction was sought by many in the absence of their own (spiritual) connections.

It is my contention that it is time to all become shamans of the modern world, to re-connect with our past , to understand the real history of this planet, to finally live up to the grand design of our destinies.

You are all special, every one of you (even you Seitse) . Please stop putting up a barrier between you and God . We have been separated for long enough!

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
10 Aug 09

In philosophy "spiritualism" is the doctrine according to which the spirit exists as distinct from matter, or that "spirit is the sole reality" (check the Oxford Pocket Dictionary of Current English/ 2009, originally published by Oxford University Press/ 2009). Therefore the basic philosophical understanding is "the power of the spirit", "the quality or state of being spiritual" (Webster 1913).

This definition was used as the stepping stone in my thread "Spiritualism" of Feb. 18, 2009 at this forum, and I have the feeling that this is the case too at this very thread;
😵

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
10 Aug 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
DH Lawrence.
Cool!

And what happened to that good ole French you love a lot, BdN? 😵

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
10 Aug 09

Originally posted by FabianFnas
There are a lot of exceptions there...
Hey Gota!

What about the idea that, spiritualism is a powerful agent that permits the Human to establish her/ his inner mental framework? This agent enables the Human to avoid disorientation, confusion, laxity of discipline, indolence and inner decomposition. In fact, spiritualism as I pose it, is a prerequisite for the holistic progress of the Human, thus for the progress of the Science too;

BTW,
No religion😵

F

Moves
10 Aug 09

Originally posted by black beetle
Hey Gota!

What about the idea that, spiritualism is a powerful agent that permits the Human to establish her/ his inner mental framework? This agent enables the Human to avoid disorientation, confusion, laxity of discipline, indolence and inner decomposition. In fact, spiritualism as I pose it, is a prerequisite for the holistic progress of the Human, thus for the progress of the Science too;

BTW,
No religion😵
I don't know what's the defference between religion and spiritualism.

I have a good definition about religion, but not any about spiritualism. In my definition spiritualism can be interpreted as a part of religion, and therefore cannot be separated from religion.

Furthermore I don't have any thoughts specifically about spiritualism.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
10 Aug 09

I don't know what's the defference between religion and spiritualism.

I have a good definition about religion, but not any about spiritualism. In my definition spiritualism can be interpreted as a part of religion, and therefore cannot be separated from religion.

Furthermore I don't have any thoughts specifically about spiritualism.
Oh I just offered above the philosophic definition of spiritualism and I explained that it is not a part of religion.

Spiritualism has primary to do with constant awareness and metaphysics; Philosophy has to do with both Science and awareness and metaphysics; and Science can occur solely through the evaluation of the mind along with scientific methods, finds and evidence.
Therefore, in my opinion the scientist cannot go far if s/he is a bad philosopher -and the good philosopher is always aware of the value of spiritualism;
😵

Hy-Brasil

Moves
10 Aug 09

Religion is man made(therefore,flawed)Spirituality is not.

F

Moves
10 Aug 09

Originally posted by black beetle
Oh I just offered above the philosophic definition of spiritualism and I explained that it is not a part of religion.

Spiritualism has primary to do with constant awareness and metaphysics; Philosophy has to do with both Science and awareness and metaphysics; and Science can occur solely through the evaluation of the mind along with scientific method ...[text shortened]... is a bad philosopher -and the good philosopher is always aware of the value of spiritualism;
😵
It's the 'spiritual' part I'm not comfortable with.
It seems by your words that it has a broader significance than religion. I'm of the opposite opinion, that 'spiritual matters' is a subset of religion.

We can look at spiritual questions in a philosofical way, but I don't want to equate spiritualsm with philosophy. Perhaps that philosophy is a just a tool to understand spiritual things, as well as religious things.

I dont' think that the word 'spiritual' can be defined in any way that satisfy all of us anyway.

Hy-Brasil

Moves
10 Aug 09

It's the 'spiritual' part I'm not comfortable with.
It seems by your words that it has a broader significance than religion. I'm of the opposite opinion, that 'spiritual matters' is a subset of religion.

We can look at spiritual questions in a philosofical way, but I don't want to equate spiritualsm with philosophy. Perhaps that philosophy is a just a ...[text shortened]... nk that the word 'spiritual' can be defined in any way that satisfy all of us anyway.
I'm of the opposite opinion, that 'spiritual matters' is a subset of religion.

I disagree.One does not need religion in order to have a spiritual life.I have found often times religion can actually hinder or stifle spiritual growth with its rules, restrictions , judgemental attitudes,etc. I believe Jesus spoke out against religiosity as well.