1. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 02:04
    Agreed, yet due to ignorance is why it is false humility, and conditioned to loving sports, TOO. You know that
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 02:32
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    lol. You just can't give that up can you? Jesus taught what He taught and as always whether or not any given individual sins doesn't change that one iota.
    Yes. Jesus taught what He taught.

But because you say Jesus taught that one must stop sinning in order to be saved, I would like to know if you are saved. That's why I keep asking whether or not you have stopped sinning.

The rest of us haven't. Have you? Man! You may well be the only living person that is saved.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 09:44
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I don't read anything in it. I don't think soccer plays seriously believe God is responsible for their sporting prowess. Making the sign of the cross on the sports field is just part of the flamboyant Catholicism of Hispanics who are fanatic over soccer.
    Its not quite accurate Conrau, i have seen it not only among Hispanics, but Africans and Europeans as well, nor do i think we are any less fervent about our soccer here than in the rest of the world. Kaka attributes his success to divine intervention, as do many others!
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 09:451 edit
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    God follows, only, North American football or what the rest of the world calls....not soccer.
    He had better be following the upcoming Ashes tour, already the pommies have landed on Australian soil, surely he will not let the Aussies down, but the bad Karma of Ammanion, Conrau and Karoly Poly just might swing it in the Pommies favour. I hold them personally responsible for any bad results rather than God. 😛
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 14:47
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Its not quite accurate Conrau, i have seen it not only among Hispanics, but Africans and Europeans as well, nor do i think we are any less fervent about our soccer here than in the rest of the world. Kaka attributes his success to divine intervention, as do many others!
    Yes probably a third of baseball and football players here do that.
    And on my second thought NASCAR racing here always has a prayer before each race to have God protect them. But I guess God isn't a race fan either as wrecks and injuries still happen all the time. You think they'd finally stop asking...
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 15:08
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Yes probably a third of baseball and football players here do that.
    And on my second thought NASCAR racing here always has a prayer before each race to have God protect them. But I guess God isn't a race fan either as wrecks and injuries still happen all the time. You think they'd finally stop asking...
    Baseball players point to the sky after getting a hit all the time. But you never see them shaking their fists at the sky in fury after striking out. It never ceases to amaze me how so many people are ready to give god all the credit for everything good that happens, but who never hold him accountable for all the bad.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 16:37
    Originally posted by josephw
    Yes. Jesus taught what He taught.

But because you say Jesus taught that one must stop sinning in order to be saved, I would like to know if you are saved. That's why I keep asking whether or not you have stopped sinning.

The rest of us haven't. Have you? Man! You may well be the only living person that is saved.
    How disingenuous. Your question is irrelevant as I've repeatedly pointed out to you. Not sure why you can't seem to be able to wrap your mind around this fact.

Also, according to the teachings of Jesus, the absolute minimum requirement for "eternal life" / "heaven" / "salvation" is that one must become righteous, i.e., one must become one with God, one must follow the will of God, one cannot continue to commit sin, etc. This is also a fact.
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 16:49
    How disingenuous. Your question is irrelevant as I've repeatedly pointed out to you. Not sure why you can't seem to be able to wrap your mind around this fact.

Also, according to the teachings of Jesus, the absolute minimum requirement for "eternal life" / "heaven" / "salvation" is that one must become righteous, i.e., one must become one with God, one ...[text shortened]... ust follow the will of God, one cannot continue to commit sin, etc. This is also a fact.
    How does one not continue to sin?
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 16:55
    How does one not continue to sin?
    John 8:32-36
    So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free." They answered Him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never yet been enslaved to anyone; how is it that You say, 'You will become free'?"
    Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever. So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed."
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 21:13
    So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free." They answered Him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never yet been enslaved to anyone; how is it that You say, 'You will become free'?"
    Jesus answe ...[text shortened]... r; the son does remain forever. So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed."
    have you ever tried putting this scripture in the context of the entire Bible, if not, why not, and if not, on what authority do you choose to negate all other teaching with the exception of the words of Christ.
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 21:281 edit
    Jesus answe r; the son does remain forever. So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed."
    So there has been and are today humans that don't sin?
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 21:38
    have you ever tried putting this scripture in the context of the entire Bible, if not, why not, and if not, on what authority do you choose to negate all other teaching with the exception of the words of Christ.
    You may not see this, but as I read your post it came to me that maybe the reason why ToO uses only the words of Jesus and never references the rest of scripture is because then he only has to "stop sinning" enough to satisfy that portion of scripture that doesn't expose the rest of his sins.

His pet sins are unaffected by what Jesus said.

If you see this ToO, forgive me for being mean.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 23:07
    I don't deny it. However, I think you have to admit that for the most part overt religious expression is not very common in English-speaking countries. I have not seen it ever in Australia, nor very often in Britain. As I said, I don't think there is any theological significance. It is just flamboyance.

And anyway, wouldn't you agree that God is in some way responsible for the outcome of a sporting match? God is after all the maker of each individual and certainly His will is in all things?
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 23:31
    Maybe you didn't understand this part:
    "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

Jesus clearly says that one must continue in HIS WORD.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 23:331 edit
    So there has been and are today humans that don't sin?
    Does this mean that you don't believe Jesus where He says, " So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed."?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree