1. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 20:292 edits
    It seems to me, as an avid soccer spectator that footballers (soccer players to our American friends) are more religious than other sports persons. There is not a small amount of players that prior to coming on to the pitch , cross themselves in the catholic manner and utter an incantation, when a goal is scored many are equally fervent in their beliefs and readily attribute the success to God, by pointing at the sky. It got me to thinking , why are soccer players seemingly more religious than others and quick to attribute their success to God, whom they must presume is also interested in watching soccer.
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 20:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    It seems to me, as an avid soccer spectator that footballers (soccer players to our American friends) are more religious than other sports persons. There is not a small amount of players that prior to coming on to the pitch , cross themselves in the catholic manner and utter an incantation, when a goal is scored many are equally ferverount in their ...[text shortened]... k to attribute their success to God, whom they must think is also interested in watching soccer.
    I always wonder when both teams ask God to be on their side what happens? I mean one side has to lose and one win. Was the winning side God favorites?
    Or sad to say at times there are injuries but I still wonder did God not hear their prayers to protect them from getting hurt?
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 22:47
    It seems to me, as an avid soccer spectator that footballers (soccer players to our American friends) are more religious than other sports persons. There is not a small amount of players that prior to coming on to the pitch , cross themselves in the catholic manner and utter an incantation, when a goal is scored many are equally fervent in their bel ...[text shortened]... to attribute their success to God, whom they must presume is also interested in watching soccer.
    Just an example of the false humility that is so prevalent in Christianity. If they were truly humble they would follow the teachings / commandments of Jesus, i.e., stop committing sin.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 23:09
    It seems to me, as an avid soccer spectator that footballers (soccer players to our American friends) are more religious than other sports persons. There is not a small amount of players that prior to coming on to the pitch , cross themselves in the catholic manner and utter an incantation, when a goal is scored many are equally fervent in their bel ...[text shortened]... to attribute their success to God, whom they must presume is also interested in watching soccer.
    Sport only really matters when theres money bet on it😉
    It may be a difficult reality to accept but I still enjoy it in spite of this.
    (This comment also reflects on who I think they're really poitning to when they score-upto the corporate boxes🙂 )
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 23:17
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Just an example of the false humility that is so prevalent in Christianity. If they were truly humble they would follow the teachings / commandments of Jesus, i.e., stop committing sin.
    i personally think that it is simply a matter of superstition, but also attributing ones success to being blessed by God is not contrary to scripture , is it, for indeed the scriptures state that those who put their trust in God will be blessed, do they not?
  6. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 23:53
    I agree with you, TOO, in the fact that if one were strongly growing in abidance to the Father their interests in winning is the other team winning.
  7. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 23:54
    However, while I was a child at play, I played a many sports and LOVED playing fullback in soccer, and played for 4 years, but if I were to play now it would be more helping the other team lol seriously I would see this the case. =p
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 00:17
    Originally posted by tacoandlettuce
    However, while I was a child at play, I played a many sports and LOVED playing fullback in soccer, and played for 4 years, but if I were to play now it would be more helping the other team lol seriously I would see this the case. =p
    fullback is probably one of the most important positions in a soccer team, if not the most important!
  9. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 00:26
    Yeah, I loved action filled games, football (we Americans call the egg shaped brown one this =p), soccer, wrestling, baseball, running, swimming, they all were plenty of joy in my Life as a child, then female came into the picture, and I met "kryptonite" (=p), my pet name for the dandelines. huhuh =p
  10. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 00:31
    God follows, only, North American football or what the rest of the world calls....not soccer.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 00:35
    Did you stop committing sin ToO?
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 00:47
    I don't read anything in it. I don't think soccer plays seriously believe God is responsible for their sporting prowess. Making the sign of the cross on the sports field is just part of the flamboyant Catholicism of Hispanics who are fanatic over soccer.
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 00:53
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I don't read anything in it. I don't think soccer plays seriously believe God is responsible for their sporting prowess. Making the sign of the cross on the sports field is just part of the flamboyant Catholicism of Hispanics who are fanatic over soccer.
    I see that done in all sports.....
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 02:01
    i personally think that it is simply a matter of superstition, but also attributing ones success to being blessed by God is not contrary to scripture , is it, for indeed the scriptures state that those who put their trust in God will be blessed, do they not?
    If it's "superstition", then it's Christian superstition. Though you didn't explicitly say it, there's also no end to athletes who give all praise/glory/etc. to God after they have triumphed. I see all that stuff as coming from the same place which is false humility.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 02:03
    Originally posted by josephw
    Did you stop committing sin ToO?
    lol. You just can't give that up can you? Jesus taught what He taught and as always whether or not any given individual sins doesn't change that one iota.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree