1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 17:35
    Originally posted by Dasa
    From dust our material body comes....and to dust it shall return, and the eternal soul (you) shall continue on.
    What do you think of the idea that we are our experiences? After all, we say we stub our toe, but what we know is the experience we call stubbing our toe and the corresponding subsequent experiences. Maybe the world is better described as made of verbs, not nouns. Or at least, worth thinking of that way, once in a while.

What do you think of Alan Watts? Was he a reasonable transmitter of wisdom to the less spiritual-minded in the West? He said, "We do not "come into" this world; we come out of it, as leaves from a tree. As the ocean "waves," the universe "peoples." Every individual is an expression of the whole realm of nature, a unique action of the total universe.""

Maybe if he capitalized more words, would that help? 🙂

An aside:

"We are stardust, we are golden,
    We are caught in the Devil's bargain,
    And we got to get ourselves back to the garden."
    --Words and Music by Joni Mitchell
  2. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 18:57
    Originally posted by JS357
    What do you think of the idea that we are our experiences? After all, we say we stub our toe, but what we know is the experience we call stubbing our toe and the corresponding subsequent experiences. Maybe the world is better described as made of verbs, not nouns. Or at least, worth thinking of that way, once in a while.

What do you think of Alan Watts? Was ...[text shortened]... And we got to get ourselves back to the garden."
    The comment quote " we are our experiences"......is coming from the limited perception of the commentator.

What is the "we' he talks of?

The "we' he talks of is the false ego....or the person you think you are and have created.

When you take another birth you will create another "we"....with a whole bunch of different experiences.

So if "we" is constantly changing, what is it that never changes?

The real person is the eternal soul....the actual living force and the true "we"

All the experiences are temporal, and here today and gone tomorrow.......and the true person will remain.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 20:471 edit

What do you think of Alan Watts? Was And we got to get ourselves back to the garden."
    Unlike Dasa, I dont think our experiences are limited. Good post, JS357!
    I love Allan Watts. He's a real good introduction into the Perrenial Philosophy.

"Maybe the world is best described as made of verbs, not nouns"

This is an interesting statement. It is like not "who are we?" , but "what are we?"
    Following these types of assertions through to their logical conclusions leads one to some strange places.

Anyway, thnx for the post, I really resonated with it.
    Are you new here? Welcome, if you are, howdy if your not 🙂

edit: And Joni's lyrics often hit the nail on the head. She was not into music for the money alone.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 21:08
    Originally posted by Dasa
    The comment quote " we are our experiences"......is coming from the limited perception of the commentator.

What is the "we' he talks of?

The "we' he talks of is the false ego....or the person you think you are and have created.

When you take another birth you will create another "we"....with a whole bunch of different experiences.

So if "we" is cons ...[text shortened]... re temporal, and here today and gone tomorrow.......and the true person will remain.
    I raised Watts to get a sense of the limits of your tolerance for deviations of thought or wording.

Can you step into the same river, twice?

Can the same you, step into the same river, twice?

When Dasa dies, will Dasa permanently cease to have experiences? Or will Dasa never really die?
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 21:17
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Unlike Dasa, I dont think our experiences are limited. Good post, JS357!
    I love Allan Watts. He's a real good introduction into the Perrenial Philosophy.

"Maybe the world is best described as made of verbs, not nouns"

This is an interesting statement. It is like not "who are we?" , but "what are we?"
    Following these types of assertions through ...[text shortened]... oni's lyrics often hit the nail on the head. She was not into music for the money alone.
    There are recordings of Watts speaking, that I have enjoyed. I think he was the first person to give me a sense that I could "get" at least some aspects of Eastern philosophy. I'll have to look into perennial philosophy. I read Huxley so long ago that I might have read some of it and forgotten it.

I'm not new on earth by any means -- I'm retired -- but have just started looking at the RHP forums.

I like speculative thinking that leads to strange places.
  6. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 22:20
    There are recordings of Watts speaking, that I have enjoyed. I think he was the first person to give me a sense that I could "get" at least some aspects of Eastern philosophy. I'll have to look into perennial philosophy. I read Huxley so long ago that I might have read some of it and forgotten it.

I'm not new on earth by any means -- I'm retired -- but have ...[text shortened]... ed looking at the RHP forums.

I used to love Watts, but I did notice that I could read, and read for hours, and come away from it not having any idea what I have just read. Interesting stuff but hard to put into practice. Sort of like a dog chasing it's tail. I want to get rid of my ego, but by me wanting that it prevents it from happening so you try to not to want anything, and the trying not to is enough pressure to bring you back to square one again. I think you need to lose your sense of indentity before Zen will work and that is no small task.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 23:14
    Originally posted by buckky
    I used to love Watts, but I did notice that I could read, and read for hours, and come away from it not having any idea what I have just read. Interesting stuff but hard to put into practice. Sort of like a dog chasing it's tail. I want to get rid of my ego, but by me wanting that it prevents it from happening so you try to not to want anything, and the tryin ...[text shortened]... think you need to lose your sense of indentity before Zen will work and that is no small task.
    I don't claim anything about my Zen status. I like the saying, "Before Enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Feb '11 18:571 edit
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I think that is the funnist saying I have ever heard, lol. To say that humans are from star dust.
    You know that all the elements were cooking inside of a star somewhere.

We are actually materially made up of stuff that was originally in stars.

Am I right ?
  9. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 01:59
    I think that is the funnist saying I have ever heard, lol. To say that humans are from star dust.
    Scientifically we are my friend

Manny
  10. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 02:02
    atoms and the elements dude RB you really show your ignorance of things

Manny
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 03:03
    Originally posted by menace71
    atoms and the elements dude RB you really show your ignorance of things

Manny
    I have to disagree with that.
  12. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 04:323 edits
    Originally posted by jaywill
    You know that all the elements were cooking inside of a star somewhere.

We are actually [b]materially
    made up of stuff that was originally in stars.

Am I right ?[/b]
    This is why we are made of dust only and not stardust. In Genesis God created the heavens and the earth, all on day one. God made the stars on day four. Off the subject I am taking a study called the truth project. It talks about a christian point of view compared to a world point of view. It does talk about us being made in God's image not stardust. It does not give the verses I gave, Genesis 1:1,4d; 1:14-19; 1:16c. You could take a look at the truth project study, I recommend it for christians and even atheists so they could understand our point of view.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 06:04

I'm not new on earth by any means -- I'm retired -- but have ...[text shortened]... ed looking at the RHP forums.

Yeah "the Prennial Philosophy", by Huxley is a great imtroduction into eastern thought.
    I used to be a serious book worm when I was in my early twenties, now , 15 years on, I feel like a teenager , roaming the malls and checking out chicks 😉 I think I have the benjaman button syndrome, or a strain of it at least, lol 🙂

Doesn't matter what earthly age you are and the perrenial philosophy is like a living thing as well as a book. In a loose sense of the word "living" .
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 17:53
    This is why we are made of dust only and not stardust. In Genesis God created the heavens and the earth, all on day one. God made the stars on day four. Off the subject I am taking a study called the truth project. It talks about a christian point of view compared to a world point of view. It does talk about us being made in God's image not stardust. It ...[text shortened]... dy, I recommend it for christians and even atheists so they could understand our point of view.
    Christians, Do you believe that The earth was created before the stars?
    Because if you believe that you might want to take in consideration that it takes billions of years light to travel this far.

This was a question I took from another site. Well if God made everything, He would not need star light to take billions of years to get here, He could do if instantly.
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 23:123 edits
    This is why we are made of dust only and not stardust. In Genesis God created the heavens and the earth, all on day one. God made the stars on day four. Off the subject I am taking a study called the truth project. It talks about a christian point of view compared to a world point of view. It does talk about us being made in God's image not stardust. It ...[text shortened]... dy, I recommend it for christians and even atheists so they could understand our point of view.
    ===============================
    This is why we are made of dust only and not stardust.
    ===============================

I don't know what stardust really means. But I have heard that the elements of everything material was in the stars. All the iron, helium, calcium, hydrogen, etc. etc. was in the stars.

The stuff of rocks and planets all were elements in stars. That's what I heard.
    I am not speaking biblically at the moment. I know we were made of the dust of the earth according to Genesis.

===========================
    In Genesis God created the heavens and the earth, all on day one. God made the stars on day four. Off the subject I am taking a study called the truth project. It talks about a christian point of view compared to a world point of view. It does talk about us being made in God's image not stardust. It does not give the verses I gave, Genesis 1:1,4d; 1:14-19; 1:16c. You could take a look at the truth project study, I recommend it for christians and even atheists so they could understand our point of view.
    ============================

Okay. It is important to note, I think, that there are several verses in the Bible about God's creating of the world. Genesis 1,2 is one of those several. The others should be taken as equally authoritative.

Putting them all together we may get a fuller picture. For example Zechariah 12:1 says Jehovah stretched forth the heavens, laid the foundation of the earth, and formed the spirit of man within hi,.

Now stretching forth the heavens, to me, implies creating the stars before the laying of the foundation of the earth.

The ASAH "made" stars, may not have been created on the fourth day, but made to appear. I mean from the standpoint of the seer, he noticed the "light holders" sun, moon, stars as specific light holders on the fourth day.

The word for the English "light" on the fourth day is a different Hebrew word then the English "light" on the first day.

"Let there be light" may mean a diffuse light, the source of which could not be pinpointed by the seer. But the sun, moon and stars of the fourth day as "light holders" were more distinct.

This could mean that the general diffuse luminous glow was seen to clarify into specific light sources, light bearers on the fourth day.

I still follow G.H. Pember on the best exposition of Genesis 1,2. "Earth's Earliest Ages"

But if you really want to hear something thought provoking, even somewhat astounding, Dr. Gerald Schroeder, a Jewish physcist at MIT, has a explanation of Genesis 1 that will keep the scientific minded on the edge of their seats, if nothing else. See " YouTube Dr. Gerald Schroeder Big Bang"

I can't say I understand it all or subscribe to it. But I have to hand it to him, he did think it through and has some very interesting ancient Hebrew commentaries and modern science coordinating together in a thoughtful exposition.

It is very thought provoking. Here's a flavor:

YouTube&NR=1

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree