1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 19:201 edit
    It seems that a couple posters here in the spiritual forum have a belief that certain religions such as the newer JW's, Mormons, etc, cannot be accepted as a so called Christain religion because they have not meet some pre determend quota of time on this planet. And just because some bright and shinning light did not appear above their founders heads for all to see, they cannot be used by God.
    They also believe that only the older and commonly established religions such as the pristine Catholic Church and the teachings they have invented and promoted for hundreds of years is the only way to go or at least to be part of some off set sect of that church.
    So are the status quo religions in this world the only ones God will accept? Are they doing the work that is stated for them to be doing at:

Matthew 24:45-47
    Good News Translation (GNT)

The Faithful or the Unfaithful Servant()
    45 Who, then, is a faithful and wise servant? It is the one that his master has placed in charge of the other servants to give them their food at the proper time.46 How happy that servant is if his master finds him doing this when he comes home!47 Indeed, I tell you, the master will put that servant in charge of all his property.

I think this scripture indicates that some long time existing religion cannot claim to be the ONE true religion and in charge. It indicates that when Jesus would return is when he decides who would have lived up to their assignments fully and then would be rewarded. If a certian religion had been doing fully what he asked in the past to do, there would be no need for him to see at a latter time who had been doing his work. There are no time limits here or the age of a certain church mentioned to qualify. All would have to be judged on their accomplisments, not their age.
    Any thoughts?
  2. Illinois
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 21:01
    Originally posted by galveston75
    It seems that a couple posters here in the spiritual forum have a belief that certain religions such as the newer JW's, Mormons, etc, cannot be accepted as a so called Christain religion because they have not meet some pre determend quota of time on this planet. And just because some bright and shinning light did not appear above their founders heads for ...[text shortened]... to qualify. All would have to be judged on their accomplisments, not their age.
    Any thoughts?
    Why do you care what non-JW's think?
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 21:15
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    Why do you care what non-JW's think?
    Maybe I don't personally, but there are a few here that say there is no way God would have anything to do with a "new religion" and I'm wanting to know what they base that thought on? Is it scripturally based or just a closed mind set they have?
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 21:27
    It seems that a couple posters here in the spiritual forum have a belief that certain religions such as the newer JW's, Mormons, etc, cannot be accepted as a so called Christain religion because they have not meet some pre determend quota of time on this planet. And just because some bright and shinning light did not appear above their founders heads for ...[text shortened]... to qualify. All would have to be judged on their accomplisments, not their age.
    Any thoughts?
    I think you should consider religions to have a life cycle just like people or companies or nations do. That is, the ones that last long enough. I imagine that God would just say, here comes another one, I wonder how they will make themselves seem different from the one they call the whore on the hill. I wonder when they will give up on the end being near. I wonder when they will start demanding to be treated like a grownup. I wonder when they will declare their scripture to be complete. I wonder when they will establish a clerical hierarchy. I wonder when they will start trying to stamp out competitors. I wonder when they will have their own unruly children. I wonder when they will be called the whore on the hill. Actually, I don't wonder, I'm God. I know when.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 21:33
    Originally posted by JS357
    I think you should consider religions to have a life cycle just like people or companies or nations do. That is, the ones that last long enough. I imagine that God would just say, here comes another one, I wonder how they will make themselves seem different from the one they call the whore on the hill. I wonder when they will give up on the end being near. I w ...[text shortened]... hen they will be called the whore on the hill. Actually, I don't wonder, I'm God. I know when.
    Exactly. God knows. But the Bible gives clues, guidelines and principles as well as describing what they would be like by their actions, fruits and results of what they do with this assignment that Jesus gave.
    So if God does not send down some huge beaming light to show who they are for all to see then one would have these guidelimes in the Bible to see and not some status quo rules.
  6. Illinois
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 21:351 edit
    Maybe I don't personally, but there are a few here that say there is no way God would have anything to do with a "new religion" and I'm wanting to know what they base that thought on? Is it scripturally based or just a closed mind set they have?
    Out of curiosity, do you think there is any reason to think God might prefer Jehovah's Witnesses to Catholics or Protestants?
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 21:43
    Exactly. God knows. But the Bible gives clues, guidelines and principles as well as describing what they would be like by their actions, fruits and results of what they do with this assignment that Jesus gave.
    So if God does not send down some huge beaming light to show who they are for all to see then one would have these guidelimes in the Bible to see and not some status quo rules.
    For that to be right, we must assume the Bible itself does not get tarred and feathered by say, the grandchild of Scientology, that introduces its own beaming light.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 22:09
    Out of curiosity, do you think there is any reason to think God might prefer Jehovah's Witnesses to Catholics or Protestants?
    that fact that we are awesome might have something to do with it, just saying, you
    know its true.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 23:321 edit
    Ok lets just pick one thing of many issues. The Bible makes it extremely clear we are to love our neighbors as ourselves and we are not to kill anyone ever under most all circumstances. We are to remain neutral in the worlds politics and issues. So would a true Christian follow the command of ones governments to go and kill another human, possible another Christian?
    So if we go with that one point and start crossing off the list the religions that are willing to let their members go off and fight and even go to the point of blessing that member to do this and even going to the point of welcoming them home with honors if they survived, how many religions that say the are Christian would fall into this catagory and support their countries military ventures? 1 or 2 or most of them?
    So there are many other issues also that would make a so called Christian religion either qualify or not qualify in meeting up to the Bibles written requirements and standards to be approved of by God.
    Just saying a religion is Christian does not mean it is truly being Christian in actions or in it's teachings.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 23:491 edit
    Ok lets just pick one thing of many issues. The Bible makes it extremely clear we are to love our neighbors as ourselves and we are not to kill anyone ever under most all circumstances. We are to remain neutral in the worlds politics and issues. So would a true Christian follow the command of ones governments to go and kill another human, possible anoth ...[text shortened]... eligion is Christian does not mean it is truly being Christian in actions or in it's teachings.
    ...we are not to kill anyone ever under most all circumstances. We are to remain neutral in the worlds politics and issues... So if we go with that one point and start crossing off the list the religions that are willing to let their members go off and fight and even go to the point of blessing that member to do this and even going to the point of welcoming them home with honors if they survived, how many religions that say the are Christian would fall into this catagory and support their countries military ventures? 1 or 2 or most of them?

The reason that you find few people of that religious persuasion (which means few religions like that having many members) may be that countries that are full of them might not last very long. They would lose too many wars. But it would be a worthy goal, to live in a world peaceful enough to have lots of religions like that. So keep at it.
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 00:03
    Originally posted by JS357
    [quote]...we are not to kill anyone ever under most all circumstances. We are to remain neutral in the worlds politics and issues... So if we go with that one point and start crossing off the list the religions that are willing to let their members go off and fight and even go to the point of blessing that member to do this and even going to the point of welco ...[text shortened]... thy goal, to live in a world peaceful enough to have lots of religions like that. So keep at it.
    Thanks. We do keep it up as it is a way of life and one should not forfiet it for man made wars. It is sad that most in religious circles can't stand up to the governments of the world and say no more killing but it just hasn't been that way.
    But going back to the thought here is what religions does God approve of on even just this one issue?
    There are maybe a couple but the JW's are out in full view of the world to see that we do not fight or kill and many have died standing up for this bible law.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 01:17
    Thanks. We do keep it up as it is a way of life and one should not forfiet it for man made wars. It is sad that most in religious circles can't stand up to the governments of the world and say no more killing but it just hasn't been that way.
    But going back to the thought here is what religions does God approve of on even just this one issue?
    There ...[text shortened]... world to see that we do not fight or kill and many have died standing up for this bible law.
    I think non-theistic references to those scriptures are unlikely to carry much weight. So I will defer to those who see in their own scriptures, God's license or even command to kill.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 03:05
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    that fact that we are awesome might have something to do with it, just saying, you
    know its true.
    Saving, "We are awesome" is not very convincing to me. I listened to your music.
    It's not awesome.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 03:23
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Saving, "We are awesome" is not very convincing to me. I listened to your music.
    It's not awesome.
    We wouldn't expect it to be to you....
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 03:36
    We wouldn't expect it to be to you....
    Well, at least me are clear on that point. HalleluYah !!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree