1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 14:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    There are different doctrines amongst the followers of Christ. There is disagreement between different denominations and groups. You use the words "sound" and "qualified" but, in the context of differing perceptions and faiths, they are just subjective terms, regardless of how repeatedly you use them.
    Of course, it would be best if all Christians agreed on every point and I admit
    that there are errors in the beliefs of every group that I have examined and I
    doubt that any are perfect in their belief. However, to me and other Christians,
    it is the differences in the beliefs as to who God is and our response to Him that
    determines the false form the true. It is those type of unsound doctrines that
    makes us unable to fellowship together. I can easily fellowship with most
    protestant groups and less easily with catholics because of these differences.
    But all Christians must recognize the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit as
    being one God and not three gods and yet three distinct persons in unity of purpose.
  2. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 15:11
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Even though I can recognize sound doctrine,...

I doubt this very much. The thread on Wheat and Tares demonstrated that clearly.

I would not consider myself qualified to pastor a group of Christians.

AMEN, at last here is something that we both can agree on perfectly!
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 16:061 edit
    Originally posted by CalJust
    [b]Even though I can recognize sound doctrine,...

I doubt this very much. The thread on Wheat and Tares demonstrated that clearly.

I would not consider myself qualified to pastor a group of Christians.

AMEN, at last here is something that we both can agree on perfectly![/b]
    Are you saying I still do not understand the parable of the wheat and tares?
    If so, do you understand it enough to demonstate it to the rest of us?

P.S. What do you think the parable of the wheat and tares have to do with
    sound Christian doctrine?
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 16:09
    Are you saying I still do not understand the parable of the wheat and tares?
    If so, do you understand it enough to demonstate it to the rest of us?

P.S. What do you think the parable of the wheat and tares have to do with
    sound Christian doctrine?
    Lol. I can promise that you don't understand it.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 19:56
    doubt that any are perfect in their belief. However, to me and other Christians,
    it is the differences in the beliefs as to who God is and our response to Him that
    determines the false form the tr ...[text shortened]... Spirit as
    being one God and not three gods and yet three distinct persons in unity of purpose.
    Unfortunately for you, you cannot lay out your mind map and behave as you choose to do here, and then expect to be able to lecture others credibly on what is "false" and "unsound". You can't have it both ways: you can't amuse yourself by being imbecilic and malignant day in day out on one hand, and then expect to be taken seriously with regard to spiritual and intellectual matters on the other.
  6. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 22:00
    Response to O.P.

I feel that it's easy to slam "Christendom" in the name of wars, crusades , R.C.C. or modern western evangelic churches ect.........I however believe there are true believers that God knows through out time and there is a true Christianity that transcends dominations and even some doctrines and time itself. I however struggle with the JW's just based on their founder and honestly **(I don't want to turn this in to a slamming JW's post)** don't even believe the modern version of the JW's is what the founder had in mind. However the biggest point is time is irrelevant for or from any group it's if they adhere to truth and if they make real and true corrections if they have produced falsehoods. There are some basic tenets of Christianity that make it Christianity. Example: take away Christ or make Him less that what he is probably not Christianity. I honestly allow that the early Church had issues with doctrine and books ect.......But the real has been preserved.

Manny
  7. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 22:15
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Ok lets just pick one thing of many issues. The Bible makes it extremely clear we are to love our neighbors as ourselves and we are not to kill anyone ever under most all circumstances. We are to remain neutral in the worlds politics and issues. So would a true Christian follow the command of ones governments to go and kill another human, possible anoth ...[text shortened]... eligion is Christian does not mean it is truly being Christian in actions or in it's teachings.
    I want to give you a hypothetical. let's say Government X wants to invade it's neighboring nation? Nation Z. The leader of Government X says once he takes over nation Z he is going to murder and kill all women and children oh and religious folks too. Nation Z can defend it's self with military force. Should it allow this evil to happen by Government X ?

It's like in the OT the sabbath was meant to be holy what does this mean? Later Jesus says is it lawful for you to see your neighbors donkey fall in a well and NOT help your neighbor get the donkey out of the well because it's the sabbath? NO you help your neighbor because it's never lawful to do wrong. Help your neighbor!!!!

Or you see a situation on the street a man getting mugged? You can aid in someway or turn the other way?

Manny
  8. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 23:54
    determines the false form the tr ...[text shortened]... Spirit as
    no they don't. the earliest christians definitely did not recognize this. it had to be voted upon and enacted as dogma and enforced by a pagan emperor, centuries after christ's alleged time on earth.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 00:37
    This could actually become quite an interesting thread.

Why are there new religions or denominations? How do they get formed and what relevance do they have?

Looking at church history, there have been some major milestones, when "new revelation of Truth" appeared. The Reformation would probably count as one of these.

Then divisions appeared a ...[text shortened]... tighter and tighter together, until we at last each sit on our own tiny little molehill!
    In my opinion there are a lot of reasons why denominations occur and form,
    for one we are always trying to justify ourselves, if we are a part of the new
    "X" whatever "X" is we are something special. Look at a lot of the chatter here
    it isn't about anything more than justifing ourselves before each other and
    God, it is a need we have. I think the devil uses that against us to keep us
    apart and at odds with one another.

The only thing required is Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit was sent to teach us
    and guide us. So a denomination is only something we create, but it is not
    necessary and being a part of any denomination does not make one right with
    God that is something that is personal between each of us and God.

When ever God does something new, the devil does something new, or we
    create something new this creates fractures as people form up and then start
    asking others to join up.
    Kelly
  10. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 07:30
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    In my opinion there are a lot of reasons why denominations occur and form,
    for one we are always trying to justify ourselves, if we are a part of the new
    "X" whatever "X" is we are something special.

So a denomination is only something we create, but it is not
    necessary and being a part of any denomination does not make one right with God.

Kelly
    Hi KJ,

We haven't really conversed before, but I am generally in agreement with most of your posts, including this one.

For the reasons that you state, many Christians are becoming disillusioned about Denominations in general, as I am. We have "opted out" of organised denominations and are meeting with likeminded believers that come from across the entire spectrum.

Someone else has pointed out that the letters of John were the last letters written in Scripture, and these contain very little, if any, doctrines, and rather major on loving one another.

I understand that there is a fast growing movement in the US along similar lines.
  11. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 08:30
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Don't forget Mohammed!
    Of course!

And Buddha, et al.

If you study other religions, you will find that there is a spark of truth everywhere, to a greater or lesser extent.

Specifically, there is much that is true and good and valid in Islam, no matter what dasa says.

Actually, whether you like it or not, there is even a spark of God in YOU!

The Bible tells us that God is Love.

Hence, by simple logic, whenever somebody (e.g. you) shows love to a child, a partner or a pet, that is not possible without God!
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 08:41
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    no they don't. the earliest christians definitely did not recognize this. it had to be voted upon and enacted as dogma and enforced by a pagan emperor, centuries after christ's alleged time on earth.
    Yes they do.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 08:461 edit
    Hi KJ,

We haven't really conversed before, but I am generally in agreement with most of your posts, including this one.

For the reasons that you state, many Christians are becoming disillusioned about Denominations in general, as I am. We have "opted out" of organised denominations and are meeting with likeminded believers that come from across the ent ...[text shortened]... another.

I understand that there is a fast growing movement in the US along similar lines.
    Then, why don't you agree with me? I have opted out too. I just did not tell them. HalleluYah !!! 😏
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 08:47
    Of course!

And Buddha, et al.

If you study other religions, you will find that there is a spark of truth everywhere, to a greater or lesser extent.

Specifically, there is much that is true and good and valid in Islam, no matter what dasa says.

Actually, whether you like it or not, there is even a spark of God in YOU!

The Bible tells us that [i ...[text shortened]... somebody (e.g. you) shows love to a child, a partner or a pet, that is not possible without God!
    Islam is a Satanic counterfeit religion. You need to understand this.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 09:17
    Hi KJ,

For the reasons that you state, many Christians are becoming disillusioned about Denominations in general, as I am. We have "opted out" of organised denominations and are meeting with likeminded believers that come from across the ent ...[text shortened]... another.

Thank you.

I've been part of Bible studies that were filled with people from several
    different denominations, the only thing we really cared about was that did
    each of us love God in Jesus Christ and others. The rest of it was something
    that we talked about but felt wasn't that important.

We can divide ourselves over the littlest things.

I had a friend once who had a dream she shared.

She was standing in front of a church building with a bunch of people and the
    sky started to part, Jesus was coming back.
    She and others could see this, while others could not, because the building was
    in the way, then she woke up.

I thought that was a powerful dream.

People get divided over a lot of things!
    Do you get sprinkled or dunked when baptized?
    Do you say in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, or just Jesus?
    Do you forgive those that sin against you or trespass?

Bottom line is still do you love the Lord and others, if you do you will be
    walking right and if you stumble you get back up and help others as they walk
    out their lives too. If your doing that the rest will work itself out.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree