1. Maryland
    Moves
    21 Jun '14 05:19
    What would Christ do about syphilis? Well, what should he do? Christ, being possessed of miraculous powers, why does he not obliterate syphilis from the face of the earth? Does Spirochaeta pallida, the organism causing syphilis, perform any useful function in the economy of nature? If not, why not obliterate it? Who is better equipped to do this than Jesus Christ?”

—Ira Cardiff in “What Would Christ Do About Syphilis?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jun '14 05:26
    Originally posted by 667joe
    What would Christ do about syphilis? Well, what should he do? Christ, being possessed of miraculous powers, why does he not obliterate syphilis from the face of the earth? Does Spirochaeta pallida, the organism causing syphilis, perform any useful function in the economy of nature? If not, why not obliterate it? Who is better equipped to do this than Jesus Christ?”

Wow what an imaginative sexual spin you have put on the "no true god would allow diseases?" standoff.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Jun '14 07:00
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Wow what an imaginative sexual spin you have put on the "no true god would allow diseases?" standoff.
    I wouldn't call it a standoff.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Jun '14 07:50

It is sin that has caused syphilis. But Christ will put an end to the results of sin in His own good time. Just be patient.
  5. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Moves
    21 Jun '14 12:002 edits

What about the spreading infection of rebellion against God growing and festering in the hearts of unbelievers ?

The outward diseases in the flesh are ever present reminders of the inward filthy uncleanness of being alienated from God.

You seem only concerned with the outward infirmity in the physical body. You should have an even more urgent concern for that is eating away at a normal spiritual and moral health of the inward man.
  6. Maryland
    Moves
    21 Jun '14 22:06
    So god approves of a man with a STD raping an innocent woman, infecting her with a STD, and causing an innocent baby to come into this world with an STD as well? Forgive me, but your thinking(?) does not add up!
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 00:15
    Originally posted by sonship
    What about the spreading infection of rebellion against God growing and festering in the hearts of unbelievers ?

The outward diseases in the flesh are ever present reminders of the inward filthy uncleanness of being alienated from God.

You seem only concerned with the outward infirmity in the physical body. You should have an even more urgent concern for that is eating away at a normal spiritual and moral health of the inward man.
    You should have an even more urgent concern for that is eating away at a normal spiritual and moral health of the inward man.
    Third stage syphilis does do that to people.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 15:48
    So god approves of a man with a STD raping an innocent woman, infecting her with a STD, and causing an innocent baby to come into this world with an STD as well? Forgive me, but your thinking(?) does not add up!
    Bad things happen, therefore god does not exist. Good things happen but god still does not exist because there are also bad things happening to babies.

Good thinking.
  9. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 15:55

",..why does he not obliterate syphilis from the face of the earth?"

He will. Just not when or on the terms you or I or anyone else decrees.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 16:03
    Bad things happen, therefore god does not exist. Good things happen but god still does not exist because there are also bad things happening to babies.

Good thinking.
    It is good thinking and I notice you have no actual counter argument.
    Obviously the thinking should be cleaned up and set out in a nice logical argument which I recall was done in a thread not too long ago.
    The first step would be to specify that it is only a 'good' God that has the best interests of humans in mind that is being discussed.
  11. Maryland
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 16:05
    I am not holding my breath!
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 16:11
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It is good thinking and I notice you have no actual counter argument.
    Obviously the thinking should be cleaned up and set out in a nice logical argument which I recall was done in a thread not too long ago.
    The first step would be to specify that it is only a 'good' God that has the best interests of humans in mind that is being discussed.
    That lemonjello managed showed off his education for several thread pages still makes the argument: "bad things happen therefore god, at least a good god, does not exist" a piss poor argument.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 16:14
    I am not holding my breath!
    You're one of the weakest debaters here, in fact you never actually debate anything, you just rock up with these occasional "sonhouseisms".
  14. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 16:36
    That lemonjello managed showed off his education for several thread pages still makes the argument: "bad things happen therefore god, at least a good god, does not exist" a piss poor argument.
    I suppose we should just take your word for it. 😴
  15. Maryland
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 04:33
    You're one of the weakest debaters here, in fact you never actually debate anything, you just rock up with these occasional "sonhouseisms".
    Weak debaters resort to ad hominem attacks!