1. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 15:36
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I think the point is resolved by the notion that just because I can do something doesn't mean I must do it - I don't think this changes when the subject is omnipotent.
    No, it is not resolved because the argument also has as a premise that God is good, and that being good requires certain actions ie it must.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 15:39
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Most Christians believe God is omnipotent.

If there really was 'no other morally possible way' to achieve the greater good in EVERY case of suffering, then aren't you saying that we live in the best of all possible worlds? Do you really believe that? I certainly don't.

When dealing with a god who forsees the future, why are we content that every ...[text shortened]... mean the argument from evil is 'piss poor', but only that it doesn't apply to your type of god.
    With respect, what "most Christians believe" or what I believe are also irrelevant. What is relevant is whether or not my complaints, as I've listed against the weak argument that "bad things happen therefore a good god does not exist" are valid. They are valid.

Let's take the first one: god may not be omnipotent. Wether or not god is omnipotent, or wether or not most Christians believe god is omnipotent is obviously irrelevant. All that is relative is the distinct possibility that god may not be omnipotent. Clearly this is a possibility and therefore the argument falls at it's first hurdle. It is as I said, a piss poor argument against the non existence of a god.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 15:421 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The argument takes as a premise that God is omnipotent. If you say 'God is not omnipotent' then you are not contradicting the argument, but discussing a totally different scenario - the possible existence of a non-omnipotent God.
    Well then it's not an argument, it's a fabricated self serving premise isn't it. How can a premise which is trying to show that a good god cannot exist, stand on its own restrictions on the variables around which such a god may or may exist. It's weak. Ridiculously so.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 15:43
    You misunderstood me. I said that I believe the argument takes as a premise that God is omnipotent.
    I accept that it does, and content that for that reason primarily it is flawed.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 15:44
    Originally posted by divegeester
    It is as I said, a piss poor argument against the non existence of a god.
    And as I said, as you state it, it is a piss poor argument. However, as you state it, it is a strawman and that it is a piss poor argument in no way reflects badly on the argument put forward by LemonJello, or any self respecting logician who has made the argument from evil in the past.
  6. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 15:45
    You're one of the weakest debaters here, in fact you never actually debate anything, you just rock up with these occasional "sonhouseisms".
    you don't debate you argue gainsaying each other.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 15:48
    For reference: Thread 158939
    LemonJello clearly states:
    16. If God exists, then he is, by definition, an omnipotent, omniscient, and morally perfect being.

He is talking about a God as defined above. If you are talking about a different God, then it will look like a piss poor argument to you, but that is only your failure to realise what the argument is about, not some fault with the argument itself.
    Then lemon jello should have stated that the god he was talking about existed within a limiting constrict which insists that such a god must be omnipotent, and that in doing so he should acknowledge that making that restriction ensures that the dilemma is fullfilled. In doing this of course he undermines the argument because he is not permitting that god the freedom to exist as either omnipotent OR not omnipotent. Then from that I claim that it is self serving and that it is a flawed and week argument/premise.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 15:48
    I notice Joe has ducked out by the way.

PS that's not an ad hominem either Joe.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 15:50
    No, it is not resolved because the argument also has as a premise that God is good, and that being good requires certain actions ie it must.
    The point I was resolving was the one about God being in control. God can be omnipotent, but choose to take a laissez faire approach to the universe. I wasn't commenting on the God is Good premise.

Besides, you have yet to demonstrate that the greater good comes from intervention.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 15:57
    I accept that it does, and content that for that reason primarily it is flawed.
    It is only flawed if you incorrectly assume that its conclusion applies to your conception of God. Your claim that it is flawed is equivalent to saying: LemonJellos argument from evil fails to prove the non-existence of elephants. What a piss poor argument for the non-existence of elephants it is. The argument is flawed because it doesn't take into account the possibility that elephants have tusks.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 15:59
    With respect, what "most Christians believe" or what I believe are also irrelevant. What is relevant is whether or not my complaints, as I've listed against the weak argument that "bad things happen therefore a good god does not exist" are valid. They are valid.

Let's take the first one: god may not be omnipotent. Wether or not god is omnipotent, or w ...[text shortened]... at it's first hurdle. It is as I said, a piss poor argument against the non existence of a god.
    But it IS relevant what god people actually believe in. It's central to the whole issue!

No productive debate about an argument involving 'god' can occur unless both sides use the same meaning for 'god'.

Do you really think that one argument can be made to work against many different god-concepts? If so, of course you'll be disappointed.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 16:001 edit
    Then lemon jello should have stated that the god he was talking about existed within a limiting constrict which insists that such a god must be omnipotent, and that in doing so he should acknowledge that making that restriction ensures that the dilemma is fullfilled.
    He stated it right there in point 16 in clear English, which I have for your convenience quoted for you. What more can you ask for?
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 16:36
    But it IS relevant what god people actually believe in. It's central to the whole issue!

No productive debate about an argument involving 'god' can occur unless both sides use the same meaning for 'god'.

Do you really think that one argument can be made to work against many different god-concepts? If so, of course you'll be disappointed.
    It is irrational to believe in any proposition for which there is insufficient evidence.

There is insufficient evidence to justify belief in any reasonable god concept**.

It is thus irrational to believe in god/s.

There, I just made an argument against believing in any god. 😉 😛

**By 'reasonable god concept' I am not accepting 'the Sun' as a big ball of burning
    plasma [as opposed to an anthropomorphised being] as a 'god'. Similarly I am not
    accepting 'The Universe' as it is described by physics as being a 'god'. Also all attempts to
    label my toothbrush to be a deity will also be rejected. In short I am accepting only god
    concepts which propose something other [and sentient] from the ordinary everyday universe
    around us. It should be noted that I have not yet met an actual believer whose god would
    fail this test.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 17:31
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    It is irrational to believe in any proposition for which there is insufficient evidence.

There is insufficient evidence to justify belief in any reasonable god concept**.

It is thus irrational to believe in god/s.

There, I just made an argument against believing in any god. 😉 😛

**By 'reasonable god concept' I am not accepting 'the ...[text shortened]... should be noted that I have not yet met an actual believer whose god would
    fail this test.
    You've already identified the problem with your own position. No matter what universal no-god argument you may make, they can get out of it if they change the definition of 'god'.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 17:49
    You've already identified the problem with your own position. No matter what universal no-god argument you may make, they can get out of it if they change the definition of 'god'.
    Yes, you are correct that it is fundamentally impossible to prove the non-existence of an undefined entity.
    But I think he has met your challenge in finding a single argument that works against many different god-concept - just not every possible god concept.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree