1. Joined
    04 Aug '04
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 03:58
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    This is hardly an accurate depiction of my epistemology. Further, you don't give me any reason to believe that it would be worth my time expounding upon it. One thing that I do believe without seeing is that my time is short and ought not be wasted.

Proverbs 14:7 is one verse that I believe in.
    "Escape quickly from the company of fools; they're a waste of your time, a waste of your words."
    Alright, buddy. If that's the way you feel about it. Maybe I was pushing too hard for a response. I admit what I wrote was a little over the top, but there is much that can be taken from it. Maybe you just don't wanna rethink your position. You're content with what you believe. That's fine. Plenty of Christians and atheists who are comfortable believing that they "know" the "truth". Just didn't think you were one of them. Peace out, fool.
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 03:591 edit
    Please, let us in on the joke, Saint Ivanhoe.
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 04:03
    This is hardly an accurate depiction of my epistemology. Further, you don't give me any reason to believe that it would be worth my time expounding upon it. One thing that I do believe without seeing is that my time is short and ought not be wasted.

Proverbs 14:7 is one verse that I believe in.
    "Escape quickly from the company of fools; they're a waste of your time, a waste of your words."
    ROTFLMSO 😀 😵 😀 ....... your epistemology .............. oh Doctor ....

Glass of water for Sir Ivanhoe, please.
  4. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 04:051 edit
    ........ noooo, I don't want to be a killjoy ...... 😀 😵 😀

Please, continue .......... 😀
  5. Forgotten
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 04:07
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    A) I think there are very few people who maintain that the wounds
    inflicted in the crucifixion actually were placed on the palms, as is
    often depicted. There has been sufficient study of the physiology of
    the human body to indicate that palm-wounds will not support the
    weight of the crucified. Archeologically, they have found parts of
    crucified rema ...[text shortened]... of Turin has wounds through the wrists and on the
    left side, if I recall correctly.

Nemesio
    i think that when looking at C
    remember almost all depictions of jesus transfigured have the wounds on the hands.and stigmata are manifestations of what the believer believes,not neccessaily the actual wounds of jesus.
    i think its from popular misconception of the crucifiction that causes the stigmata in the palms.the masses have passed down the belief long enough that it has become a reality of sorts

great answers everyone!
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 04:141 edit
    Proverbs 14:4

Where there are no oxen, the crib remains empty; but large crops come through the strength of the bull.

😲 😀
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 04:26
    So basically we've got this Padre dude indulging in a little self-harm to make himself feel more holy and get some promotion in the church. Nice.
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 04:281 edit
    Originally posted by aspviper666
    stigmata are manifestations of what the believer believes,not neccessaily the actual wounds of jesus.
    i think its from popular misconception of the crucifiction that causes the stigmata in the palms.the masses have passed down the belief long enough that it has become a reality of sorts
    I think this is the most likely explanation.

It also explains why only Catholics and not Protestants get stigmata. Only Catholics are routinely exposed to the crucifix, while Protestants are typically exposed to an empty cross. Protestants are thus much less likely to have a psychological compulsion to emulate or fake the wounds of the crucifix.
  9. Forgotten
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 04:411 edit
    can i get a witness brothas??
    (rec the danged post then lmao)

edit:thank you😀
  10. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 04:50
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    So basically we've got this Padre dude indulging in a little self-harm to make himself feel more holy and get some promotion in the church. Nice.
    The Padre dude is dead ...
  11. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 04:531 edit
    I think this is the most likely explanation.

It also explains why only Catholics and not Protestants get stigmata. Only Catholics are routinely exposed to the crucifix, while Protestants are typically exposed to an empty cross. Protestants are thus much less likely to have a psychological compulsion to emulate or fake the wounds of the crucifix.
    Don't Anglicans have crucifixes with corpses on them .... and what about the Orthodox ?
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 04:53
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Oddly enough, there were no wounds on his body at the time of his death. According to the show I'm watching, his stigmata was not considered one of the miracles necessary for his canonization by the RCC.
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 04:53
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Indeed, and made into a saint. Sorry, I didn't use past-tense. Feeling very 'present moment' today.
  14. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 05:00
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Indeed, and made into a saint. Sorry, I didn't use past-tense. Feeling very 'present moment' today.
    Scot: "Feeling very 'present moment' today"

Enjoy it .... 😉
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    20 Dec '05 05:06
    OK, based on what was presented during the show, I have to conlcude that stigmata are most likely intentional frauds, or possibly unintentional frauds that result from psychological delusion.

Does anybody else find differently based on the show?

One thing that I learned was that crucifiction with nails in the palms is in fact possible according to the latest experiments.

The most interesting observation is that stigmata were originally observed in the palms. Then, about 100 years ago, the first experiments regarding the physics of crucifiction were done, the results of which were that Christ must have been nailed through the wrist. Subsequent stigmata cases then exhibited bleeding from the wrists! It will be interesting to see what effect the latest experimental results have on future stigmata.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree