Striking Teachers

Striking Teachers

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 May 18

Originally posted by @eladar
Now I see where your attitude is coming from. Your state dors pay well.

Get outside of your bubble and you see a different picture.

Your state is one of the richest states in the Union. Nice to live in a rich area.
You obviously know nothing about Connecticut and how economically diverse it is.

But you dodged my question. Name a job in the private sector with all the benefits of a teacher’s job - guaranteed annual pay and step increases by contract, job security, pension, three months off per year.

Teachers have it pretty darn good compared to a lot of jobs in the private sector.

E

Moves
19 May 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
You obviously know nothing about Connecticut and how economically diverse it is.

But you dodged my question. Name a job in the private sector with all the benefits of a teacher’s job - guaranteed annual pay and step increases by contract, job security, pension, three months off per year.

Teachers have it pretty darn good compared to a lot of jobs in the private sector.
So you are saying I had it good when I had a taxable income of 17000 dollars?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 May 18

So you are saying I had it good when I had a taxable income of 17000 dollars?
That seems pretty low. How long ago was that and what’s the cost of living in the area where that was your taxable income? And how many years of teaching experience did you have?

Context please.

F

Moves
19 May 18

Eladar, be careful about sharing personal information in public.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 May 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @fmf
Eladar, be careful about sharing personal information in public.
Coming from you, that’s hilarious - you’re the biggest abuser of personal information on this forum. But that’s what trolls do, and nobody trolls like you - your trolling is world class!

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
19 May 18

Average teacher salary is about 60k. My sister-in-law teaches college English and clears 80k plus health insurance and a pension. Not bad.

E

Moves
19 May 18

That seems pretty low. How long ago was that and what’s the cost of living in the area where that was your taxable income? And how many years of teaching experience did you have?

Context please.
It s 15 years ago, but my wife brings gets paid about the same today. Cost of living depends on your lifestyle.

E

Moves
19 May 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
Average teacher salary is about 60k. My sister-in-law teaches college English and clears 80k plus health insurance and a pension. Not bad.
Depends on the state and lvl. K12 teachers make much less than 60k in Oklahoma.

In Oklahoma they add in 6k for your health insurance to come up with average 41k...but starting is more like 25 then if you cover spouse and kids for health care you can deduct at least 10k.

E

Moves
19 May 18

Context please.
I take that as a no.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 May 18

I take that as a no.
You take what as a no?

When I asked about cost of living, I was referring to the typical or average price of a single-family home or monthly rent on a one-bedroom apartment. Since you’re talking about 17 years ago, I’d have to have a ballpark idea of those stats back in 2000.

E

Moves
19 May 18

Funny hing about standard of living. I would say that is just how many rich or poor people live around you.

In Oklahoma we have a high number of poor people so the standard of living is lower. I suppose that validates paying teachers little.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 May 18
1 edit

Funny hing about standard of living. I would say that is just how many rich or poor people live around you.

In Oklahoma we have a high number of poor people so the standard of living is lower. I suppose that validates paying teachers little.
As far as I know, public school teacher salaries mostly come from property taxes in the area where they work. If they teach in an area where people don’t have a lot of money, it stands to reason the salaries won’t be as high as public school teachers who work in wealthier areas. Not saying that’s right, but that seems to be the way it is.

The reason I asked about the typical cost of a single-family home or monthly rent on a one-bedroom apartment is guidelines from the federal government say the cost of someone's housing ideally should not exceed 30 percent of their gross income, though that rarely works in reality.

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
19 May 18

Depends on the state and lvl. K12 teachers make much less than 60k in Oklahoma.

In Oklahoma they add in 6k for your health insurance to come up with average 41k...but starting is more like 25 then if you cover spouse and kids for health care you can deduct at least 10k.
If I lived in Oklahoma and salary and lifestyle were important to me, I would not have pursued a career in teaching unless either teaching was a strong passion, or I was prepared to relocate to another state.

E

Moves
20 May 18
1 edit

You take what as a no?

When I asked about cost of living, I was referring to the typical or average price of a single-family home or monthly rent on a one-bedroom apartment. Since you’re talking about 17 years ago, I’d have to have a ballpark idea of those stats back in 2000.
I already told you the pay is comparable today. My wife's pay nets better because I cover my own insurance. If a man were to get a job teaching in Oklahoma this year and covered two kids and wife his taxable income would be right around 17k.

When you say rent you mean comparable areas and facilities not just rent price.

After more than 20 years of teaching I am bringing home 2500 each month now that my wife is working and has kids on her insurance and working after school two nights a week.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 May 18
1 edit

I already told you the pay is comparable today. My wife's pay nets better because I cover my own insurance. If a man were to get a job teaching in Oklahoma this year and covered two kids and wife his taxable income would be right around 17k.

When you say rent you mean comparable areas and facilities not just rent price.

After more than 20 years of tea ...[text shortened]... hat my wife is working and has kids on her insurance and working after school two nights a week.
From the New York Times:

“Teachers in Oklahoma earn $45,000 a year on average, the third-lowest in the country; only those in Mississippi and South Dakota earn less, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. They are doing better, though, than many workers in Oklahoma, which has the third-lowest cost of living and where the average teacher salary is about equal to the median household income.”

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/us/oklahoma-teachers-strike.html