Striking Teachers

Striking Teachers

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
12 May 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
That’s not what I said. I said they’re not required to do that and it’s not part of their job description.

But be more specific in your use of the word “protect.” Do you mean barricading the door by pushing desks and chairs in front of it? Trying to escape from a classroom with students if gunshots sound far away? Removing a gun from a desk and protec ...[text shortened]... students so if the shooter enters the classroom he has no choice but to kill the teacher first?
So you admit that being a teacher means you should protect children from a shooter but you do not believe teachers should get paid as if they should.

Just like most people, you believe that teachers should do their job out of compassion and not compensation.

The families of these teachers get to suffer accordingly.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 May 18

Originally posted by @eladar
So you admit that being a teacher means you should protect children from a shooter but you do not believe teachers should get paid as if they should.

Just like most people, you believe that teachers should do their job out of compassion and not compensation.

The families of these teachers get to suffer accordingly.
You’re putting words in my mouth because I’m not saying what you want me to say.

But your example is ludicrous anyway as the likelihood of a teacher being in that position is so low as to be practically negligible while the chance of a police officer having to put his or her life in danger is obviously much, much higher.

E

Moves
12 May 18
1 edit

You’re putting words in my mouth because I’m not saying what you want me to say.

But your example is ludicrous anyway as the likelihood of a teacher being in that position is so low as to be practically negligible while the chance of a police officer having to put his or her life in danger is obviously much, much higher.
Should teachers protect children from a shooter or not?

If yes because their job puts them there then they should be paid to protect children.

If no then fine.

If yes but should not get paid to do it then you have you.

How many state troopers in Oklahoma have been shot and killed in the line of duty since 1900?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 May 18

If yes because their job puts them there then they should be paid to protect children.

If no then fine.

How many state troopers in Oklahoma have been shot and killed in the line of duty since 1900?
Tell me what you mean by protect. If you continue to decline to do that, I really see no point in continuing the conversation.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 May 18

If no then fine.

<<How many state troopers in Oklahoma have been shot and killed in the line of duty since 1900?>>

No idea, but you’re conflating someone getting killed with someone being willing to put his or her life in danger every day.

If you think a teacher’s job is as dangerous as a police officer’s job, you’re obviously entitled to that opinion. I think it’s ridiculous - and I think all reasonable people would agree it’s ridiculous.

E

Moves
12 May 18

<<How many state troopers in Oklahoma have been shot and killed in the line of duty since 1900?>>

No idea, but you’re conflating someone getting killed with someone being willing to put his or her life in danger every day.

If you think a teacher’s job is as dangerous as a police officer’s job, you’re obviously entitled to that opinion. I think it’s ridiculous - and I think all reasonable people would agree it’s ridiculous.
The number is in the single digits. Police officers do not have a dangerous job. A vast majority of police officers do not get killed or put into the hospital on duty.

If you want to see a dangerous job try fishing in the extreme cold off Alaska.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 May 18

The number is in the single digits. Police officers do not have a dangerous job. A vast majority of police officers do not get killed or put into the hospital on duty.

If you want to see a dangerous job try fishing in the extreme cold off Alaska.
To say a police officer doesn’t have a dangerous job - and to conflate the hazards of a police officer’s job with that of a teacher’s - is so absurd as to render responding to your posts on this subject a complete and utter waste of time.

Good day, sir!

E

Moves
12 May 18

Tell me what you mean by protect. If you continue to decline to do that, I really see no point in continuing the conversation.
Protect would mean take out the intruder should the shooter get near students. You know, the same way the waffle house guy did.

E

Moves
12 May 18
1 edit

To say a police officer doesn’t have a dangerous job - and to conflate the hazards of a police officer’s job with that of a teacher’s - is so absurd as to render responding to your posts on this subject a complete and utter waste of time.

Good day, sir!
You say police officers have dangerous jobs without a single bit of evidence.

Do dispatchers have dangerous jobs? Do people behind a desk have a dangerous job? Do spokes persons for the police force have a dangerous job?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 May 18

Do dispatchers have dangerous jobs? Do people behind a desk have a dangerous job? Do spokes persons for the police force have a dangerous job?
<<You say police officers have dangerous jobs without a single bit of evidence.>>

I feel under no compulsion to prove the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 May 18

<<Do dispatchers have dangerous jobs? Do people behind a desk have a dangerous job? Do spokes persons for the police force have a dangerous job?>>

Stressful, yes. Dangerous, no.

No.

No.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 May 18

Protect would mean take out the intruder should the shooter get near students. You know, the same way the waffle house guy did.
And how many teachers do you suppose would be willing to do that?

E

Moves
13 May 18

<<Do dispatchers have dangerous jobs? Do people behind a desk have a dangerous job? Do spokes persons for the police force have a dangerous job?>>

Stressful, yes. Dangerous, no.

No.

No.
So why should they get better pay than teachers?

E

Moves
13 May 18

And how many teachers do you suppose would be willing to do that?
If their students are being threatened? Many..just like the teacher/coach who was shot and killed in Florida.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 May 18

So why should they get better pay than teachers?
I already went over that on page 1 of this thread.