1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 18:16
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    When you ask, "Does God cause suffering", do you mean specific instances of suffering, suffering in general, or something else?
    Thanks. Yes just the suffering we all do in our life's. Sicknesses, deformaties, etc.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 18:311 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Thanks. Yes just the suffering we all do in our life's. Sicknesses, deformaties, etc.
    Of course. The answer remains YES for much of it.

John 9:1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
    2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
    3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

Mans deformities are the works of God.
    Is that clear enough?
    Lets hear you spin that one .... 😀
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 19:02
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Of course. The answer remains YES for much of it.

John 9:1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
    2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
    3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest ...[text shortened]... ns deformities are the works of God.
    Is that clear enough?
    Lets hear you spin that one .... 😀
    Rom 5:12 says all men sin. So Jesus must have ment something else. But no matter what answer I give you'll just argue about it so figure it our yourself..
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 19:06
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    ...or to paraphrase the story another way, an omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent god, despite foreseeing every move of his feeble, weak-willed, ignorant and covetous creature called man, went ahead and created him in a universe such that an immense amount of suffering would ensue. For what? I challenge any theist to meaningfully state god's purpose ...[text shortened]... I don't buy the idea that moral autonomy and free will are worth exchanging eternal bliss for.
    ATYSOA
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 19:231 edit
    Rom 5:12 says all men sin. So Jesus must have ment something else. But no matter what answer I give you'll just argue about it so figure it our yourself..
    I understand that you are just a little brainwashed JW kid. So I will try to explain.

In the John 9:1-3 passage, Christ explains that the blindness is not the result of the sin of the parents. Many people like to say that even today. That parents have deforemed babies etc because they are sinners. Christ says NO.... that is not so. The sin did not cause the deformity. Its the WORK OF GOD, that caused the deformity.

So God does in fact cause suffering. So your passage in Romans bears no relevance to what we are discussing. Why do you keep quoting irrelevant passages ?
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 19:27
    I would still think the answer must be "yes" if this world and everything in it is God's design - viruses, tidal waves, volcanoes, diseases, birth/genetic defects, pests, etc.
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 19:56
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I would still think the answer must be "yes" if this world and everything in it is God's design - viruses, tidal waves, volcanoes, diseases, birth/genetic defects, pests, etc.
    Would you have created or made those things for your offspring to have to endure if you were God? How could God have promised life without death if that's the way the world was originally meant to be? There must be more answers to that.
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 19:57
    If the Bible says that God "allows" us to be tested..Who's doing the testing?
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 20:13
    If the Bible says that God "allows" us to be tested..Who's doing the testing?
    "...God "allows" us to be tested.."

Here we go again.
    The Bible does not say that.
    Quote the verse.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 22:06
    Would you have created or made those things for your offspring to have to endure if you were God? How could God have promised life without death if that's the way the world was originally meant to be? There must be more answers to that.
    If I was in God's place, I'd eliminate many of the items on the list.

The funny thing is that the Christian God is allegedly going to create this kind of 'perfect world' eventually, i.e., heaven. I would have started with heaven and never created this current world with all its gratuitous suffering.

As for your 2nd question, it depends on who "God" is. Many claim God is omnipotent. I take that to mean that he can do anything logically possible. That should include creating a world that is permanently without death.
  11. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 22:30
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    ATYSOA
    What does that mean?
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 23:04
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    "...God "allows" us to be tested.."

Here we go again.
    The Bible does not say that.
    Quote the verse.
    1 Cor 10:13. Not that you'll read it or acknowledge it but others will and understand it.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 00:04
    1 Cor 10:13. Not that you'll read it or acknowledge it but others will and understand it.
    You say : ".. God "allows" us to be tested.."

1 Cor 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

This says God does not allow certain people to be tempted more than they are able to resist.
  14. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 01:02
    Isn't one of the Christian doctrines that the world was created good(Perfect) but when Adam & Eve committed their sin the whole creation was affected? Hence suffering ect. ?

Manny
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 01:26
    Originally posted by menace71
    Isn't one of the Christian doctrines that the world was created good(Perfect) but when Adam & Eve committed their sin the whole creation was affected? Hence suffering ect. ?

Manny
    Yes that is correct. Why would he create something imperfect?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree