1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 01:52
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I could never understand the need for people to believe and convince others about God's attributes which are vauge or not clear in the Bible. Or even those which are stated but somehow the facts of the Bible need to be re-interpreted for us to understand it. Eg .. God is love, is clearly not a statement that people can appreciate given the bloody /violent na ...[text shortened]... was some suffering caused before all were dead. Hence God caused the suffering of those people.
    (((( There is no statement in the Bible about whether or not God causes suffering. ))))

James 1:13..
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 01:54
    Is there some part of the Bible that says Adam and Eve were perfect?
    So.... he would create something imperfect?
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 01:57
    Originally posted by galveston75
    (((( There is no statement in the Bible about whether or not God causes suffering. ))))

James 1:13..
    James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man.

So my original comment stands :
    There is no statement in the Bible about whether or not God causes suffering.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 01:581 edit
    Is there some part of the Bible that says Adam and Eve were perfect?

ATFQ !
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 02:24
    James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man.

So my original comment stands :
    [b]There is no statement in the Bible about whether or not God causes suffering.
    [/b]
    Are you serious? You really don't understand that??? Wow!!!!
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 02:34
    Are you serious? You really don't understand that??? Wow!!!!
    Actually I have to thank you for teaching me many things in the last few days. You seem to take these very complicated Bible passages and give it such an obviously clear meaning. You are brilliant ... 🙂

Eg the Revelation passage about God choosing 144,000 virgin male descencents of the sons of Jacob. The only obvious explanation (which totally escaped me) is that it applies to the Jehovah Witnesses!!!! Silly me.
    Im such a dummy to think it could have meant anything else.

So explain how James passage means God causes /or does not cause suffering. Oh by the way .. remember the children and babes killed by Joshua under Gods command, was not tempted by any evil.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 02:56
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    ...or to paraphrase the story another way, an omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent god, despite foreseeing every move of his feeble, weak-willed, ignorant and covetous creature called man, went ahead and created him in a universe such that an immense amount of suffering would ensue. For what? I challenge any theist to meaningfully state god's purpose ...[text shortened]... I don't buy the idea that moral autonomy and free will are worth exchanging eternal bliss for.
    You want to over eat, smoke, beat someone, call someone names,
    lie, cheat, steal, feed the hungry, heal the hurt, smooth over wounds,
    tell the truth, give wanting nothing in return, and live with your choices?
    Kelly
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 03:31
    ((((So explain how James passage means God causes /or does not cause suffering. Oh by the way .. remember the children and babes killed by Joshua under Gods command, was not tempted by any evil.))))

It's really funny how you don't respond back when you've been proven wrong about some comment you think the Bible does or doesn't say...
    Probably a dozen times or so???

Anyway did not countless children die in the flood also? Just think about all that for awhile.

And my comments to you are done.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 03:371 edit
    ((((So explain how James passage means God causes /or does not cause suffering. Oh by the way .. remember the children and babes killed by Joshua under Gods command, was not tempted by any evil.))))

It's really funny how you don't respond back when you've been proven wrong about some comment you think the Bible does or doesn't say...
    Probably a doz ...[text shortened]... in the flood also? Just think about all that for awhile.

And my comments to you are done.
    SO God does in fact cause suffering.

Where did you prove me wrong. The only thing JWs have proven is that they are missing a few brain cells ... 😀

Its you that cannot answer questions. You claimed that Adam and Eve were perfect. I asked for proof and you could not answer.
  10. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 03:39
    If God created the universe than indirectly at least He is responsible for suffering. Man's greed causes a lot of suffering. Why do some live that should be dead while others die that should live?? Why are some kids born retarded? Why are some kids born to crackhead parents?? I don't think there is a simple answer for these questions. Some would say suffering makes us stronger but does it?

Manny
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 03:44
    Originally posted by menace71
    If God created the universe than indirectly at least He is responsible for suffering. Man's greed causes a lot of suffering. Why do some live that should be dead while others die that should live?? Why are some kids born retarded? Why are some kids born to crackhead parents?? I don't think there is a simple answer for these questions. Some would say suffering makes us stronger but does it?

Manny
    But .... James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man.

What do you think of this verse quoted by Galveston?
    Is this verse talking about suffering and whether or not God is responsible for it ?
  12. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 03:45
    My problem with JW's is the whole blood transfusion thing. They equate it with God's command in the Old testament not to eat blood. Pretty stupid!! While there my be a very small chance of getting a disease or something I'm sure it's very rare. Transfusions can save and prolong life as was the case with my dad.

Manny
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 03:54
    My problem with JW's is the whole blood transfusion thing. They equate it with God's command in the Old testament not to eat blood. Pretty stupid!! While there my be a very small chance of getting a disease or something I'm sure it's very rare. Transfusions can save and prolong life as was the case with my dad.

Manny
    The also believe that Jesus Christ is the rebirth of Michael the archangel. What do you think of that ?
  14. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 04:29
    anything created by God would logically be lesser than He is... a.k.a. imperfect. most Christians agree on that.
  15. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 04:32

Manny
    Indeed, Manny!

God is at least indirectly responsible for everything. The good and the bad... the whole shabang.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree