1. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 21:51
    Originally posted by darvlay
    While I understand where you're coming from, Liam, I have to disagree. In my household, if I crossed my Father, he wouldn't think twice about giving me a good rap on the ass. That being said, I don't resent him (for that), I haven't grown up violent and I do not at all advocate physical discipline as an acceptable standard.

That being said, I do, howeve ...[text shortened]... ildren, as they do all too often, all it does is teach them to be selfish and irresponsible.
    Since when did you get let out to take part in debates? You wanna feel the back of my hand boy?
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 21:53
    Originally posted by DragonFriend
    Generation upon generation in this country has been raised with spanking and we turned out OK.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting#Notable_school_massacres

I guess the guy from 1927 didn't get spanked hard enough...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 22:31
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Since when did you get let out to take part in debates? You wanna feel the back of my hand boy?
    Daddy, is that you? I hate you.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 22:38
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    From what I can tell, if a parent has children who are wild-ass routinely, the parent has already erred.
    Even if that were true, how would you recommend a parent deal with that child if it no longer responds to "loving discipline"? Medication?
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 23:16
    Even if that were true, how would you recommend a parent deal with that child if it no longer responds to "loving discipline"? Medication?
    A trip to see the priest.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 23:20
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    A trip to see the priest.
    That's some tough love, Doctor S.
  7. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 23:483 edits
    I know of one couple who could ask their tenant to beat their kid for them. It would keep their consciences clear, and he'd never behave like a [WORD TOO LONG] or anything else aga...

Hang on, this is a public forum.

I'm not presenting an alternative, or a logical thesis really. I'm objecting to the establishment of any kind of carrot/stick environment, except where it's a practical necessity. I don't think the idea of a 'time-out' or any of its equivalents is much better than violence, in principle; nor do I condone the giving of rewards for good behaviour. Small children are about as prone to sensible persuasion as adults are, if it's expressed properly, and this should be taken advantage of.

I can't remember ever being explicitly rewarded or punished for anything I ever did to cause my parents grief. I was yelled at a fair amount, but that's a case of bad-tempered people (both of my parents are quite high-strung) making a commendable attempt at communicating with someone difficult to communicate with (a small child) rather than premeditated Pavlovian rubbish.

That's not to say that parents, to a certain point, should be faulted for emotional reactions to their children doing stupid, dangerous things, and one can't be too upset with someone, say, impulsively smacking their kid when it runs into oncoming traffic or something. However, I don't think it's in a child's interest to have a consistent set of punishments/rewards or even clearly defined rules for behaviour, because to an overwhelming extent society does not have those things, and I don't think it does society any good to be peopled by rule-conscious, punishment-fearing, reward-seeking mice when it should be peopled by men.

If the child is being wild-ass, and it's a one-off, then simply deal with it, I'd say. He or she is probably learning something, and tolerating the resulting annoyance is what you agreed to by failing to wear a condom.

I think a necessary condition for a child to have an actual wild-ass disposition, barring mental illness or similar circumstances, is that the parents, for whatever reason, cannot interact with the child in a meaningful way. These reasons may be legitimate; particularly the stress imposed by having to support the child's material needs. They may also be bad reasons. For example, as far as I can tell, the parents of the kid I'd like to hit with a cricket bat expect too much from their personal lives to have a three-year-old child (these people are psychos -- when he misbehaves, they lock him in his room for 5 seconds for each month in his age; this isn't 'abusive', but I think it's stupid and counterproductive).

(If you get anything at all out of that, it's my current answer to the 'What are you listening to?' thread. Hint: I'm not normally sexist in my writing.)

EDIT I'd probably be a terrible parent and never, ever want to have children.

EDIT the SECOND I'm also 18, and therefore almost certainly talking from within my ass in most of this post.
  8. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 00:53
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    I know of one couple who could ask their tenant to beat their kid for them. It would keep their consciences clear, and he'd never behave like a [WORD TOO LONG] or anything else aga...

Hang on, this is a public forum.

I'm not presenting an alternative, or a logical thesis really. I'm objecting to the establishment of any kind of carrot/stick envi ...[text shortened]... almost certainly talking from within my ass in most of this post.
    For an 18 year old you make a lot of sense.
    The trouble with having kids is, anyone can do it. You don't need to have reached a certain age - as you do with voting or drinking. You don't need a licence - say for driving a car. And as I'm sure many can attest to - you don't need the slightest bit of brain power at all.
    Which of course means that the unfortunate result of a sexual incident has no way of knowing whether their parents are going to be the best parents in the world, or complete idiots. And of the latter type there are plenty.
    I find that actually talking with my kids helps. That is, if they're doing something that they shouldn't be, I sit down and try to explain why they shouldn't be doing that thing. Also having something else for them to do helps.
    Now my kids are only 2 and 5 so you might think that they're not really in a position to reason much - but kids'll surprise you. Treat them with respect and gentleness and fairness and they'll give it all back.

Of course, they're only 2 and 5 - so sometimes they're just little brats ...
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 00:58
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I've always thought there's a link between open spaces and suicide.
    Stirling Uni and Lancaster Uni have the highest student suicide rates in Scotland and England respectively. Both are campus based universities based in the country.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 01:00
    That's some tough love, Doctor S.
    It's the "power of Christ compelling him".

[vomit pea soup from rotating head right about now]
  11. Joined
    31 Dec '02
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 01:02
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    It's the "power of Christ compelling him".

[vomit pea soup from rotating head right about now]
    running in circles doesn't help you know.. 😛
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 01:301 edit
    i don't believe it would be right to put out the 'acceptability' for smacking children. this reason being that the big majority of people in life would lack the ability to lovingly smack their kids. it could have dire consequences?

this was once legal to physically punish children in the schools here in N.Z. the only time it happened to me was from my racist primary school teacher. lol. i was 'cheating' during sports. four kids would lie on the ground in each team and we would have to jump over each kid to the end and back. i jumped over the whole lot. i guess he may have felt justified in the fact that it was dangerous... till i won the high jump and went into the interschools. it was already bad enough for him as my older brother was the top gymnast in NZ for his age,but he may have even cried and pulled some hair out when he saw me in the paper shaking prince edwards hand later in my school years.

no... the answer to this at present is not through punishment. it is through living and making the societies we live in acceptable. if people have the interlect to understand and care that the way we behave 'here' is going to filter down through to those children then change will happen. it's not alright to bully or play games with people as the results with this 12-year old girl clearly show.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 05:16
    Originally posted by DragonFriend
    Never before in the history of this nation has this happened and I suppose its only a coincidence that its happening during this change in child discipline. Pleeeeeeze.

DF
    advances in technology have brought around the changes we see. it has brought the world closer to being one big unhappy family.

i think the answer to 'why' is held in God/god.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 08:12
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Other that a mentally insane person, I'm quite positive the thought of God does flash accross the mind of a person contemplating killing himself; be it only momentarily. Even if not; if it is a conscious decision to take life, which as a Christian I believe God is the only giver of, then yes, one would be answerable to God.
    at the time people are suicidal they are in hell... as such. it may just come and go, yet at those times there is nothing left that their heart desires on this earth. maybe during those moments some just wanted to go home where they would have more to hope for... this is kind of how i feel about my friend.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 23:39

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree