Sum Total

Sum Total

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
06 Mar 13

Originally posted by Kepler
The great satisfaction that comes with solving some intellectual challenge, solving a problem, proving a theorem or something of that nature. Better than sex and much better than kissing a deity's arse.
I agree with your gist here. I find creating something that you are (intimately) involved with, or in your case solving, is more satisfying than anything else.

For me if I write a song and still like it in a month, it gives me more pleasure than any woman could. And it's the sort of pleasure that has no drawbacks.

And for some reason I can always sing my songs better than any of the music I cover. Even if I have been playing the cover for ten + years.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Mar 13

Originally posted by stellspalfie
you have seem to have listed the sum total of your happiness (without saying). im sure everybody has different lists. id put finding a parking space in a busy car park on mine.
Well, that is towards the top of my list! 🙂 Not joking either!!!
Kelly

Moves
06 Mar 13

Originally posted by karoly aczel
I agree with your gist here. I find creating something that you are (intimately) involved with, or in your case solving, is more satisfying than anything else.

For me if I write a song and still like it in a month, it gives me more pleasure than any woman could. And it's the sort of pleasure that has no drawbacks.

And for some reason I can always ...[text shortened]... gs better than any of the music I cover. Even if I have been playing the cover for ten + years.
keep making the music, i love that sweary song you did with the girl singing(cant find the link anymore).

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Mar 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]Sum Total

Memorable Meals; Exquisite Wines; Casual Inebriations; Sexual Intimacy and Rapport with a Spouse; Children, Grandchildren and Special Holidays; Career Fulfilment; Trusted Friends; Sports, Music, Games and Books = The Sum Total Happiness Any Individual Who has Rejected The Risen Christ Will Know in His/Her Brief Life on Planet Earth. What have I missed?[/b]
Sun sets, Sun rises, winning a good chess match, Cubs win *I have a good
feeling about this century! There is a lot of good in this life how be it short.
Kelly

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
07 Mar 13
2 edits

keep making the music, i love that sweary song you did with the girl singing(cant find the link anymore).
Yeah, she's great. I would've taken her to the top if she had the confidence ...

(that song and my other efforts are all on my youtube station . karoly aczel....which may have changed to charlie aczel... one of the two)

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
07 Mar 13

[b]Sum Total

Memorable Meals; Exquisite Wines; Casual Inebriations; Sexual Intimacy and Rapport with a Spouse; Children, Grandchildren and Special Holidays; Career Fulfilment; Trusted Friends; Sports, Music, Games and Books = The Sum Total Happiness Any Individual Who has Rejected The Risen Christ Will Know in His/Her Brief Life on Planet Earth. What have I missed?[/b]
Are you implying that those who have not 'rejected' this mythos are somehow happier? Do you have anything other than your own opinion to support this claim?

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
08 Mar 13

Originally posted by karoly aczel

And for some reason I can always ...[text shortened]... gs better than any of the music I cover. Even if I have been playing the cover for ten + years.
My grandfather told me "Life is a long song, all you have to do is sing". He was a happy old bugger and I think he knew what he was talking about.

Before anyone asks he wasn't the god bothering kind so that was not the source of his contentment.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Mar 13
2 edits

My grandfather told me "Life is a long song, all you have to do is sing". He was a happy old bugger and I think he knew what he was talking about.

Before anyone asks he wasn't the god bothering kind so that was not the source of his contentment.
I have heard it said that ignorance is bliss. 😏

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. (Proverbs 9:10)

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Mar 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
I have heard it said that ignorance is bliss.
As Samuel L. Jackson might say, "Then you must be one happy m----- f-----!!"

Sorry. I got that picture in my head immediately, and thought I'd share. 😀

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Mar 13

seems like a rather narrow view of happiness to me.
I believe that is the man's point.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
08 Mar 13

Originally posted by Suzianne

I believe that is the man's point.
Suzianne, you're one of the few who have realized the thread's thrust.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Mar 13

Suzianne, you're one of the few who have realized the thread's thrust.
I just happened to recognize the direction you're coming from. I've been misunderstood myself in this forum. The direction of this thread should be recognizable by any Christian, perhaps the other Christians didn't recognize that the non-Christians didn't understand the angle you used in your OP.

Threads like this can be fickle. Your OP gets misunderstood and then someone thinks the misunderstanding is what you meant in your OP, and then others pile on. The misdirection was in full swing by post #6.

They say Brevity is the soul of wit. I say Clarity is the soul of understanding. Wish to be understood? Then be sure to be crystal clear. When you lay the groundwork, avoid multiple paths. Go for the wide avenue.

"I've said it before and I'll say it again: a good comedian knows his audience." -- Suzianne

So should a good lawyer, a good teacher, and a good storyteller.

Most good forum posters are a little bit of all four.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Mar 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
I just happened to recognize the direction you're coming from. I've been misunderstood myself in this forum. The direction of this thread should be recognizable by any Christian, perhaps the other Christians didn't recognize that the non-Christians didn't understand the angle you used in your OP.

Threads like this can be fickle. Your OP gets misunders ...[text shortened]... eacher, and a good storyteller.

Most good forum posters are a little bit of all four.
Post #6? Are you referring to twhitehead's request for the definition of the soul?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Mar 13
2 edits

Originally posted by RJHinds
Post #6? Are you referring to twhitehead's request for the definition of the soul?
No. The question of a soul has nothing to do with it.

twhitehead said, "You have missed out on really enjoying all those great experiences because..."

I'm not interested in anything he said after the "because" because it has zero bearing on the OP. Look at what he wrote. GB did not "miss out on really enjoying all those great experiences". That isn't what GB said in the OP. When GB said "What have I missed?", he meant what else should go on the list that he left out?

(GB's list in the OP was a list of all that the atheist had to look forward to in life because the atheist denies that Jesus Christ, the Risen Son of God, died to save mankind from the wages of sin. That should be obvious, especially to Christians.)

There was from this point on, a massive misunderstanding of GB's OP.

Edit: A couple of people got it, it looks like. Most didn't.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
11 Mar 13

Ron might not get it, but I do 😉

If people need a god-concept in their life, then so be it. If Christianity is going to bring someone out of their misery and make them happy then great.

But, as your grandfather demonstrated, you don't need a god-concept to be truly happy.
I needed a god-concept when I was younger - actually I needed some understanding about how to break the hold of the god-concept that my parents and society had foistered on me.
Once I was free and I knew for sure that Christianity was not accurate, I threw away my 'hammer' , only to use it when others wanted to talk about life in terms of a god.