Sum Total

Sum Total

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Mar 13

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Ron might not get it, but I do 😉

If people need a god-concept in their life, then so be it. If Christianity is going to bring someone out of their misery and make them happy then great.

But, as your grandfather demonstrated, you don't need a god-concept to be truly happy.
I needed a god-concept when I was younger - actually I needed some under ...[text shortened]... ew away my 'hammer' , only to use it when others wanted to talk about life in terms of a god.
Being "free" of Christianity is another kind of enslavement, only this master is not so forgiving, nor does he have your best interests at heart.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Mar 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
There was from this point on, a massive misunderstanding of GB's OP.

Edit: A couple of people got it, it looks like. Most didn't.
I think we all got it, its just that we don't agree with it.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Mar 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
I think we all got it, its just that we don't agree with it.
You, especially, should not be admitting that you "got it". Because if you in fact did "get it", then your misdirection was planned and schemed and executed on purpose. Even for an RHP forum-goer, that's just disgusting that you would covertly derail someone's words and try to appropriate their thread and make it appear that they were saying something opposite of what they were saying. I'd even call it unethical, but then I realize that you're obviously not a person who is too constrained by anything resembling "ethics".

I was trying to be fair and give you benefit of the doubt. I see now I shouldn't have bothered.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Mar 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
You, especially, should not be admitting that you "got it". Because if you in fact did "get it", then your misdirection was planned and schemed and executed on purpose.
Yes, my misdirection was planned and schemed and executed on purpose, and I assumed it would be obvious to all. It was apparently obvious to you that I misdirected, but not obvious that it was on purpose. My apologies.

Even for an RHP forum-goer, that's just disgusting that you would covertly derail someone's words and try to appropriate their thread and make it appear that they were saying something opposite of what they were saying.
I certainly did not intend to make it appear that he was saying something he was't. I was simply making a play on his words, to make my own point.

I'd even call it unethical, but then I realize that you're obviously not a person who is too constrained by anything resembling "ethics".
I am willing to bet that I am more ethical on average than you are, and even know more about what ethics entail.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
13 Mar 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]Sum Total

Memorable Meals; Exquisite Wines; Casual Inebriations; Sexual Intimacy and Rapport with a Spouse; Children, Grandchildren and Special Holidays; Career Fulfilment; Trusted Friends; Sports, Music, Games and Books = The Sum Total Happiness Any Individual Who has Rejected The Risen Christ Will Know in His/Her Brief Life on Planet Earth. What have I missed?[/b]
if i understand this correctly,
you say if i reject the risen christ,
i will never know the "happiness" brought about by exquisite wines???
(just one of yer examples, i know)

heck,
that's just bullcrap...

you seriously need to learn the definition of happiness...
if you study the words of the risen christ, you might, if you pay attention, understand that happiness does not come from anything material...

*shrug*

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
13 Mar 13

Originally posted by rookie54

if i understand this correctly,
you say if i reject the risen christ,
i will never know the "happiness" brought about by exquisite wines???
(just one of yer examples, i know)

heck,
that's just bullcrap...

you seriously need to learn the definition of happiness...
if you study the words of the risen christ, you might, if you pay attention, understand that happiness does not come from anything material...

*shrug*
"The Sum Total Happiness Any Individual Who has Rejected The Risen Christ Will Know
in His/Her Brief Life on Planet Earth. What have I missed?"

... the opposite, rookie.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
14 Mar 13

"The Sum Total Happiness Any Individual Who has Rejected The Risen Christ [b]Will Know
in His/Her Brief Life on Planet Earth. What have I missed?"

... the opposite, rookie.[/b]
i did read it backwards...
my error...

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
15 Mar 13

[b]Sum Total

Memorable Meals; Exquisite Wines; Casual Inebriations; Sexual Intimacy and Rapport with a Spouse; Children, Grandchildren and Special Holidays; Career Fulfilment; Trusted Friends; Sports, Music, Games and Books = The Sum Total Happiness Any Individual Who has Rejected The Risen Christ Will Know in His/Her Brief Life on Planet Earth. What have I missed?[/b]
Methinks you missed the probability that it could be the case that you are happy when you refrain from acting, speaking or thinking destructively under the influence of lust, greed, attachment, repulsion, anger, ignorance and delusion. When you don’t exaggerate the good and the bad qualities of the conditions you encounter and of the epistemic objects you evaluate, you accumulate merit so that your bodymind continuums are able to allow the experiencing of happiness;
No naivety, no attachment, no repulsion, no indifference, no mental wandering, no dullness, no worries, no expectations –now you can feel happiness and thus cultivate compassion and thus cultivate love, for your mind is focused on the well being of all the sentient beings and on the well being of the ones you love. Working hard for the happiness of the ones you love, their happiness becomes your happiness. Methinks your happiness is the result of your responsibility. Then it's enough to discard thoughts about failure and expectation, and to take the desicion to never stray from the Way😵

May All Beings Be Happy😵

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Mar 13

Originally posted by black beetle
Methinks you missed the probability that it could be the case that you are happy when you refrain from acting, speaking or thinking destructively under the influence of lust, greed, attachment, repulsion, anger, ignorance and delusion. When you don’t exaggerate the good and the bad qualities of the conditions you encounter and of the epistemic objects y ...[text shortened]... xpectation, and to take the desicion to never stray from the Way😵

May All Beings Be Happy😵
Beetle, what is it that you really want?

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
15 Mar 13

Beetle, what is it that you really want?
I want to see all the beings happy; I want to see the people I love, to live well; I want to see all the people standing firmly on their own, to be responsible for their actions and to get rid of suffering, greed and delusion; I want along with my Maria to enjoy our life to the hilt; and I want to die with my boots on, unperturbed by the joy and the madness😵

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Mar 13
2 edits

Originally posted by black beetle

I want to see all the beings happy; I want to see the people I love, to live well; I want to see all the people standing firmly on their own, to be responsible for their actions and to get rid of suffering, greed and delusion; I want along with my Maria to enjoy our life to the hilt; and I want to die with my boots on, unperturbed by the joy and the madness😵
So well said. I, too, yearn for all of those possibilities to come true. As an undercover realist, I know that some will and some won't. That knowledge is based on the realization that some will make good decisions from a position of strength, while others will make bad decisions from a position of weakness (not at all unlike the outcomes of chess games). If you and I have maturing capacities for life and love, ourselves, we will rejoice over good news regarding these people we love; and endure the inevitable heartaches as stout hearted men. Our conversation reminds me of the concluding line to a contemporary poem (by a Chicagoan whose name I've forgotten): "The bitter habit of the forlorn cause is my addiction". (gb)
-

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
15 Mar 13

So well said. I, too, yearn for all of those possibilities to come true. As an undercover realist, I know that some will and some won't. That knowledge is based on the realization that some will make good decisions from a position of strength, while others will make bad decisions from a position of weakness (not at all unlike the outcomes of chess games ...[text shortened]... whose name I've forgotten): "The bitter habit of the forlorn cause is my addiction". (gb)
-
Yes😵

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
15 Mar 13

... Our conversation reminds me of the concluding line to a contemporary poem (by a Chicagoan whose name I've forgotten): "The bitter habit of the forlorn cause is my addiction". (gb)
-
William Stafford, from "On Quitting a Little College"

The bitter habit of the forlorn cause
Is my addiction. I miss it now, but face
Ahead and go in my own way
Toward my own place.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
15 Mar 13

Originally posted by hakima
William Stafford, from "On Quitting a Little College"

The bitter habit of the forlorn cause
Is my addiction. I miss it now, but face
Ahead and go in my own way
Toward my own place.
And still immovable and swirling😵

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Mar 13

You guys are good enough to teach Stafford.