1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Sep '09 09:33
    I try not to have any superstitions. Following this premise in my life I've found that life has brought me to confront my superstitions. I need to overcome all of them I think in order to progress. Anyone feel the same?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Sep '09 11:05
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I try not to have any superstitions. Following this premise in my life I've found that life has brought me to confront my superstitions. I need to overcome all of them I think in order to progress. Anyone feel the same?
    So do you have any or not? 😕
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Sep '09 11:221 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    So do you have any or not? 😕
    Not any manifested superstitions, but sometimes I have an 'unfounded fear' lurking behind certain situations. does that make any sense?

How about an example: I was trekking around the bushes near the back of my place and I came across a circle with a five-pointed star in the middle. There wer burn marks here and ther in the star. At the top part of the circle (higher part), there was some sort of animal skull placed on top of a stick . I wasn't toally freaked out but it made me wonder what happened there. (BTW I was with 3 kids and my sister (31years old). The kids just loved it and danced around the circle but my sister was noticably freaked out and was trying to find excuses to get out of there.)

edit: Does anyone out there have any suprstitions they would like to share? (or is this going to be just another 'set 'em up and knock 'em down'-type thread?)
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Sep '09 11:32
    Not any manifested superstitions, but sometimes I have an 'unfounded fear' lurking behind certain situations. does that make any sense?

How about an example: I was trekking around the bushes near the back of my place and I came across a circle with a five-pointed star in the middle. There wer burn marks here and ther in the star. At the top part of t ...[text shortened]... share? (or is this going to be just another 'set 'em up and knock 'em down'-type thread?)
    That is scary but it's not a superstition is it.

Superstition can range from checking under the bed every night, not walking under ladders to a believing spirituality itself. I have no superstitions other than a belief in God.

The idea of repetitve observance of things like walking under ladders is derived from fear.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Sep '09 12:25
    That is scary but it's not a superstition is it.

Superstition can range from checking under the bed every night, not walking under ladders to a believing spirituality itself. I have no superstitions other than a belief in God.

The idea of repetitve observance of things like walking under ladders is derived from fear.
    Aren't some people superstitous about five-pointed stars?
    I guess superstition is fear's ugly cousin...
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Sep '09 12:31
    There are no superstitions. Only illusions.

Superstition is a sign of an immature childish mind that hasn't come to terms with reality.

Like monsters under the bed.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Sep '09 13:58
    I guess so; so but only if you believe in what power they represent and either worship it or are fearful of it. Superstition is derived from fear.
  8. Maryland
    Moves
    13 Sep '09 16:53
    It's bad luck to be superstitious!
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Sep '09 17:11
    What about christians ? aren't they superstitious? Like if a JW tells you you cant watch certain movies,they call it the 'law' (or whatever) but in my way of thinking its superstitious
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Sep '09 17:20
    What about christians ? aren't they superstitious? Like if a JW tells you you cant watch certain movies,they call it the 'law' (or whatever) but in my way of thinking its superstitious
    Possibly, depending on your point of view; all religion or spiritual belief could be regarded as superstition, including yours.

Not sure why JW's would or wouldn't watch a movie, I guess one of them would have to comment on that.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Sep '09 17:40
    Possibly, depending on your point of view; all religion or spiritual belief could be regarded as superstition, including yours.

Not sure why JW's would or wouldn't watch a movie, I guess one of them would have to comment on that.
    We are getting into the guts of this word 'superstition' now. I dont doubt that with my slant my own views could be considered superstitious ,however my views are not static. They are fluid and readily change. My views about spirituality,that is. Hmmm. I might have to go back to the basics on this one... I was coming from a context of meeting a new friend,then telling them not to become superstitious about anything if they wanted our relationship to continue unfolding.

I had a JW over just the other day going through th bible with me and telling me their beliefs. Basically he said that he wouldn't watch any violence that was too 'full on'. He said as soon as some movie had a MA rating he would automatically not watch it.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Sep '09 19:23
    Think of superstition as suspicion. One may suspect something or someone, but only the evidence proves anything.

Real evidence.

Really, this goes to the heart of what absolutes are all about. The absence of factual reality when making judgements about the nature of life can only lead to confusion and superstition.
  13. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    13 Sep '09 21:09
    I guess superstition is fear's ugly cousin...
    Yes, 2 points down is okay while 1 point down is evil.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Sep '09 21:172 edits
    no one would tell you cant watch such and such a movie, for these are conscience based decisions, however in the case of JWs, they may also choose to abstain from watching a particular movie for the very same reason, this decision though , have as its basis biblical principles, not some irrational fear as do many superstitions. for example, is it consistent to advocate to others to be more loving and considerate and then to feast ones eyes on gratuitous violence, as if watching people being killed was entertaining, hardly , is it.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 02:47
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    no one would tell you cant watch such and such a movie, for these are conscience based decisions, however in the case of JWs, they may also choose to abstain from watching a particular movie for the very same reason, this decision though , have as its basis biblical principles, not some irrational fear as do many superstitions. for example, is it co ...[text shortened]... yes on gratuitous violence, as if watching people being killed was entertaining, hardly , is it.
    Well I like watching violence in movies. Not over the top-in-your-face kind of violence but more creative violence like say "Reservoir Dogs".
    Having said that I a man of peace and hope my childish fascination with violence soon fades away.
    How about the christian notion that people who dont follow Jesus are instruments of the devil? Is that more a well-founded 'biblical principal' or more of a superstition? ( I know its a very generalized question but a similarly generalized response would be welcome 🙂 )

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree