1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 17:44
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Why would someone "put their hope in" evolution??

That's like asking if someone puts their hope in gravity.

Also... food???

I mean most people would certainly hope FOR food...
    We have this habit of dying without it...
    But putting hope IN food?
    Well there are some people who put their hope in evolution. I wouldn't know why?

Food obviously to stay alive.
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 18:22
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I put my hope in gravity; it keeps me grounded. 😵
    Aye ... the idea of gravity does sound "attractive" Reveal Hidden Content
    geddit? attractive? as in attracted to the earth by gravity?? 😀 😀 😀 ... bah ... tough crowd :[
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 18:54
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Well there are some people who put their hope in evolution. I wouldn't know why?

Food obviously to stay alive.
    Name me ONE person who "puts their hope in evolution".
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 19:36
    I'm hoping my cat evolves into a race of super-intelligent felines that one day in the future will come back to our time with a cure for arthritis and a
    speed-learning course for grand-master chess.

I think this is a reasonable expectation.

So I advise everyone: Repent and be nice to your cat.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 19:51
    How about sonhouse?
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 20:02
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    How about sonhouse?
    no 😕 🙄
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 20:06
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Suzianne has shared the hope she has, but why should she throw her pearls before swine and get them trampled under their feet?
    I'm not saying she should, in fact if you bother to read my posts from page 1 of this thread you will see I'm leaning quite heavily the opposite way.

Perhaps you should take your concerns up with kellyjay who seems to think Christians should express their salvation stories...but then seems not also. Who really knows what goes on in the mind of kellyjay.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 22:44
    Originally posted by JS357
    So are Muslims.

Questioning each other's performance in "sharing" their hope looks like "holier than thou" self-righteous nosing in on other people's personal exercise of their faith.
    I know I've shared an apartment with a Muslim from Jordon while we were
    going to school, we had many a discussion on God. With respect to being
    holier than thou you fail to understand Christianity if you believe that, since
    we are ALL sinners, there are none of us better than the next guy. Our
    righteousness comes from Jesus Christ not ourselves!
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Feb '15 19:56
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Well what do you put your hope in? God's word, evolution, man, your gift of singleness, your children, your parents, liberalism, food, ext.?
    There are many kinds of hope. You could have hope for your parents, that they don't end up alone in a nursing home. You could have hope for your children, that they don't end up dead or in prison. You could have hope for humanity in general, that they come to God and do not follow the AntiChrist in the tribulation. You could have hope for our planet, that humans do not plunder and rape her to the point where she can no longer support life. You could have hope for your country, that people support your choice for President and move the country in the right direction.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with this question. I put my hope in many things, no one thing has my exclusive hope. But these are all things which have a lack of perfection, and so if I have hope for them, that hope is not misplaced. I have no "hope" for things which are perfect, i.e. God, Jesus, or the Word of God. They will continue to be perfect with or without my "hope". What can my "hope" do for them? I can have faith in them, that they can continue to mold and shape imperfect me, but I put no "hope" in things that are perfect. Their promises (to me, to mankind) will be made manifest in their time, no amount of "hoping" can change that, or even hasten them along.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 00:39
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    With respect to being holier than thou you fail to understand Christianity if you believe that, since we are ALL sinners, there are none of us better than the next guy. Our righteousness comes from Jesus Christ not ourselves!
    So if one finds some Christians to be on a distinctly "holier than thou" trip, you are saying they aren't really on a "holier than thou" trip, it's just that one is failing to "understand Christianity" if one thinks they are, is that what you mean?
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Mar '15 02:521 edit
    The English word "hope" in the Koine Greek of the New Testament is "elpis which means confident expectation of favorable outcome not the vague wishful thinking of "Well, I hope so". Issue isn't the word but the authority backing up the promise.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '15 03:42
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    The English word "hope" in the Koine Greek of the New Testament is "elpis which means confident expectation of favorable outcome not the vague wishful thinking of "Well, I hope so". Issue isn't the word but the authority backing up the promise.
    Have you written to all the Bible publishers to suggest that they use the word "expect" ~ or some such ~ rather than "hope"?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Mar '15 06:14
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I know I've shared an apartment with a Muslim from Jordon while we were
    going to school, we had many a discussion on God. With respect to being
    holier than thou you fail to understand Christianity if you believe that, since
    we are ALL sinners, there are none of us better than the next guy. Our
    righteousness comes from Jesus Christ not ourselves!
    And the alternative is grim.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Mar '15 14:54
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Well, this is an interesting spin on it, since when I hear the word "hope" I always think of this "vague, wishful thinking" you're talking about. "Confident expectation of favorable outcome" is not a definition I've thought about much. As a believer, I take the authority of God as a given. I'm sure all Christians with even a modicum of faith do too. So, in this sense, asking another Christian what their 'hope' is based on seems oxymoronic. My faith in God translates directly to a "confident expectation" that what He says will happen will come to pass. The difficulty here is cutting through all the hyperbole and false meaning that humans have placed on the Word of God to cut through to the truth. But that means abandoning one's ego, and not taking God's authority from Him and donning it like one's own robe, and that is indeed a tall order for some.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Mar '15 16:05
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Well, this is an interesting spin on it, since when I hear the word "hope" I always think of this "vague, wishful thinking" you're talking about. "Confident expectation of favorable outcome" is not a definition I've thought about much. As a believer, I take the authority of God as a given. I'm sure all Christians with even a modicum of faith do too. So, ...[text shortened]... authority from Him and donning it like one's own robe, and that is indeed a tall order for some.
    Why don't you believe the first chapter of Genesis is not from God's authority? It is stated that God created the heavens and earth and animals to bring forth after their kind as taking less than a week's time. Whereas you have claimed it took billions of years.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree