1. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 04:411 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    So then explain, in non-magical terms, how apples (or the fruits from trees of knowledge if you like) can impart instant knowledge of right and wrong to the person that eats them.
    Why stop there Agerg. An apple that imparts instant knowledge is a far lesser miracle than most others in the bible.

The only question is, do miracles (supernatural events) occur or do they not. If they do, then your point is moot. If they don't, then God doesn't exist and game over.

No sense scratching at the surface with this silly apple stuff.
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 05:306 edits
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Why stop there Agerg. An apple that imparts instant knowledge is a far lesser miracle than most others in the bible.

The only question is, do miracles (supernatural events) occur or do they not. If they do, then your point is moot. If they don't, then God doesn't exist and game over.

Firstly I'm tempted to argue it's a bigger miracle than you acknowledge it to be, and secondly I'm stopping there, for now because this whole exchange was started by Robbie Carrobie's first response to me (with dodging all the way in subsequent posts) in this thread going as follows:

"God did nothing of the sort, you are havering AGAIN. It wasn't magical, it was a
    paradise, the word using meaning a park like environment. There is no indication that
    snakes talk, it was simply used by Satan as a ventriloquist uses a dummy,

sigh, its no wonder you have lost your way Agers,"

--------------------------
    the post he responded to btw was:

"Actually, seeing as "G"od supposedly instigated the introduction of a talking snake (Satan) into the magic garden (such that it would, as "G"od knew it would, talk Adam and Eve into eating a naughty apple) it would appear "G"od is responsible for every death since Adam and Eve.

Satan looks like he got the shaft here!"

which itself was a response to something RC wrote in response to someone else.

I know he's talking bullchit (i.e. he doesn't even believe what he's saying to me) and he knows I know this...if he could actually be honest for once (or put up a respectable fight) then I would be more than happy to back down and move on
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 05:34

Oh, and though I'm absolutely certain your "G"od doesn't exist, it's only game over when all the crazies agree with me on this - until that happens it is very much game-on.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 06:17
    The only question is, do miracles (supernatural events) occur or do they not.
    I have argued in the past that the word 'supernatural' is incoherent and exists solely for the purpose of rejecting further questioning on a topic.
    Do you think 'supernatural' can be made coherent in any way?
    What is 'natural' and why would you categorize some events as not natural?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 23:411 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I have argued in the past that the word 'supernatural' is incoherent and exists solely for the purpose of rejecting further questioning on a topic.
    Do you think 'supernatural' can be made coherent in any way?
    What is 'natural' and why would you categorize some events as not natural?
    Natural events are dealing with the laws of the physical world. Supernatural events are dealing with the spiritual world and are not restricted by the physical laws. 😏
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 23:43
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Natural events are dealing with the physical world. Supernatural events are dealing with the spiritual world. 😏
    to your mind whats the difference between the two?
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 23:45
    Natural events are dealing with the laws of the physical world. Supernatural events are dealing with the spiritual world and are not restricted by the physical laws. 😏
    Their manifestation in the physical world should be restricted by physical laws.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 23:46
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    to your mind whats the difference between the two?
    Natural events are limited by the physical laws of the physical world and supernatural events are obviously not restricted by pure physical laws.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 23:53
    Their manifestation in the physical world should be restricted by physical laws.
    It is manifested by such things as turning water into wine, walking on water, multiplying the bread and fish, the virgin birth of the Son of God, etc. We call these miracles because they can not be understood as natural events. Therefore, we can call them supernatural because some spiritual force has produced the result.
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 00:032 edits
    It is manifested by such things as turning water into wine, walking on water, multiplying the bread and fish, the virgin birth of the Son of God, etc. We call these miracles because they can not be understood as natural events. Therefore, we can call them supernatural because some spiritual force has produced the result.
    Then it doesn't make much sense to be formulating physical laws such as gravity, etc... if they can be contradicted, at will, by "G"od.

Indeed with g = goddidit and t = twinkledust shouldn't we correct, for example, Newton's second law such that it reads something like:
    F = ma + gt, or...
    F = gmat, or...
    F = g + ma =~ g, or... ???
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 00:33
    Then it doesn't make much sense to be formulating physical laws such as gravity, etc... if they can be contradicted, at will, by "G"od.

Indeed with g = goddidit and t = twinkledust shouldn't we correct, for example, Newton's second law such that it reads something like:
    F = ma + gt, or...
    F = gmat, or...
    F = g + ma =~ g, or... ???
    I'm confident that it all makes sense to God, since He created all with such laws. 😏
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 09:47
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Answer my question, i answered yours. It's only polite.

You're correct though, it is a futile debate. It's futile because one side chooses to remain 'closed-minded' and 'ignorant'. Your words, not mine.
    And with that he ran.
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 11:09
    ********BUMP FOR ROBBIE**********

I was polite enough to answer your question will you answer mine? Do you accept that the genetic evidence contradicts your literal account of Genesis?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 12:281 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    ********BUMP FOR ROBBIE**********

I was polite enough to answer your question will you answer mine? Do you accept that the genetic evidence contradicts your literal account of Genesis?
    as i stated before all materialists read from the same cook book and not having
    considered your so called, 'genetic evidence', i cannot possibly state why there is a
    discrepancy. Suffice to say that all empirical evidence points to the fact that civilisation
    and recorded history do not go back tens of thousands of years, but a few thousand, in
    harmony with the Genesis account and your reasons or in my opinion 'excuses', for this
    disparity are less then convincing.
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 12:32
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    as i stated before all materialists read from the same cook book and not having
    considered your so called, 'genetic evidence', i cannot possibly state why there is a
    discrepancy. Suffice to say that all empirical evidence points to the fact that civilisation
    and recorded history do not go back tens of thousands of years, but a few thousand, in ...[text shortened]... and your reasons or in my opinion 'excuses', for this
    disparity are less then convincing.
    i cannot possibly state why there is a discrepancy.

So that's a no then?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree