1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 08:06
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I don't care how you define a nothing, it is a lack of restraint upon human
    nature so all that embrace their lower nature, are acting out just as anyone
    without restraint would, in other words an Atheist.
    Kelly
    So an atheist, has a lack of restraint upon human nature embracing their lower nature? I'm not really what that means Kelly?! You just sound befuddled and unable to really string a coherent thought together here.

You seem to be suggesting that an atheist has no restraint, compared to someone who believes in a God. Yet religious people are and have been killing people since time began, so I don't really see what you trying to say here?
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 08:11
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    So you think it is all about bananas?

The Instructor
    The Bible, specifically the OT, has clear instructions to kill people who worship different Gods.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 08:23
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    So an atheist, has a lack of restraint upon human nature embracing their lower nature? I'm not really what that means Kelly?! You just sound befuddled and unable to really string a coherent thought together here.

You seem to be suggesting that an atheist has no restraint, compared to someone who believes in a God. Yet religious people are and have been killing people since time began, so I don't really see what you trying to say here?
    Beyond what the Atheist puts on themselves they have none.
    If they fear what people around them will do to them, everyone has that.
    I have been saying that the driving force for all murders are our lusts and
    greed. Religion may speak against those things, but people will still go
    against what they know to get what they want. Restraints does not mean
    that they will stop anyone at any time, speed limits are kept by some
    ignored by others, but with many it will stop them.
    Kelly
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 08:30

People will use religion to justify murders too, I agree with you there.
    Kelly
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 08:32
    The Bible, specifically the OT, has clear instructions to kill people who worship different Gods.
    Yea, if God ends a life or setup a life to end that is His call. He is the one
    that sets the time for life to start and life to end. If someone did it in the
    name of God without God they will without a doubt answer for that.
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 08:35
    Beyond what the Atheist puts on themselves they have none.
    If they fear what people around them will do to them, everyone has that.
    I have been saying that the driving force for all murders are our lusts and
    greed. Religion may speak against those things, but people will still go
    against what they know to get what they want. Restraints does not mean
    th ...[text shortened]... time, speed limits are kept by some
    ignored by others, but with many it will stop them.
    Kelly
    Remember we're talking, or I entered this discussion, to make a point that atheism can't be responsible for the killings of Pol Pot and Mao for example. That's what I'm talking about. They killed people because of their 'evil human nature' towards 'lust and greed', it just so happens they were atheists. Do you agree?
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 08:36
    Yea, if God ends a life or setup a life to end that is His call. He is the one
    that sets the time for life to start and life to end. If someone did it in the
    name of God without God they will without a doubt answer for that.
    Kelly
    But you agree there are instructions laid out in the Bible to kill people who worship different Gods?
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 08:511 edit
    But you agree there are instructions laid out in the Bible to kill people who worship different Gods?
    Yes, and I'll do you one even better. People who said they worshiped God
    were also killed, because God judged them as worthy of death.

Beyond that one more thing, everyone in the Bible with a couple of
    exceptions have all died.
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 08:59
    Remember we're talking, or I entered this discussion, to make a point that atheism can't be responsible for the killings of Pol Pot and Mao for example. That's what I'm talking about. They killed people because of their 'evil human nature' towards 'lust and greed', it just so happens they were atheists. Do you agree?
    I agree that I'm not overly concern about Theist or Atheist labels, because
    each person is going to stand before God giving an account for their lives
    as we all will. The label will mean nothing, before God we will give an
    account for even every word we speak. The labels may make one us of like
    one group over another but they are all people who can do good and
    bad. I think the concern we should really be looking at are all the crimes
    and things we are willing to over look due to label we favor.

If you are going hold all Theist accountable for some Theist crime, you have
    no reason to avoid being held accountable for some Atheist crimes. If you
    are willing to judge each person on their own lives and not of a group than
    I'd say you are home free.
    Kelly
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 04:15
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    If you don't understand my answer I suggest you meditate upon it. Hold it up against the light of reason and you will glimpse its truth. I can't tell you - you have to realize for yourself.
    I challenged you to define truth.
    You haven't successfully done the same.
    I can think long, hard and sideways about the facts, but it remains that you have not yet demonstrated a cogent description of something so elementary basic as to be classified as 'simple.'
  11. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 12:14
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I challenged you to define truth.
    You haven't successfully done the same.
    I can think long, hard and sideways about the facts, but it remains that you have not yet demonstrated a cogent description of something so elementary basic as to be classified as 'simple.'
    You are asking me to explain a concept that has puzzled philosophers since Greek times! I am not a philosopher, I'm afraid, so I'm not really the person to provide you with a neat ready made answer. However, the statement: "Truth is eternal, never decays and remains the same" satisfies me and it is as close as I am ever going to get to understand it. Clearly it has got to be objective, to have been true for all time and not change from day to day.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 19:09
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    You are asking me to explain a concept that has puzzled philosophers since Greek times! I am not a philosopher, I'm afraid, so I'm not really the person to provide you with a neat ready made answer. However, the statement: "Truth is eternal, never decays and remains the same" satisfies me and it is as close as I am ever going to get to understand it. Clearly it has got to be objective, to have been true for all time and not change from day to day.
    Well we agree truth is eternal, but some deny that! I believe it is eternal,
    because we have a plumb line that is eternal which is a change less God,
    while others who deny God suggest that as we grow truth changes with
    our grasp of understanding.
    Kelly
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 22:081 edit
    "Pilate said to him, "What is truth?" When he had said this, he went out again to the Jews, and said to them, "I find no basis for a charge against him." John 18: 38 (World English Bible)

Clarke's Commentary on John 18:38

"What is truth - Among the sages of that time there were many opinions concerning truth; and some had even supposed that it was a thing utterly out of the reach of men. Pilate perhaps might have asked the question in a mocking way; and his not staying to get an answer indicated that he either despaired of getting a satisfactory one, or that he was indifferent about it. This is the case with thousands: they appear desirous of knowing the truth, but have not patience to wait in a proper way to receive an answer to their question. I find in him no fault - Having asked the above question, and being convinced of our Lord's innocence, he went out to the Jews to testify his convictions and to deliver him, if possible, out of their hands."

Barnes' Notes on John 18:38

"What is truth? - This question was probably asked in contempt, and hence Jesus did not answer it. Had the question been sincere, and had Pilate really sought it as Nicodemus had done John 3, Jesus would not have hesitated to explain to him the nature of his kingdom. They were now alone in the judgment-hall John 18:33, and as soon as Pilate had asked the question, without waiting for an answer, he went out. It is evident that he was satisfied, from the answer of Jesus John 18:36-37, that he was not a king in the sense in which the Jews accused him; that he would not endanger the Roman government, and consequently that he was innocent of the charge alleged against him. He regarded him, clearly, as a fanatic poor, ignorant, and deluded, but innocent and not dangerous. Hence, he sought to release him; and, hence, in contempt, he asked him this question, and immediately went out, not expecting an answer.

This question had long agitated the world. It was the great subject of inquiry in all the schools of the Greeks. Different sects of philosophers had held different opinions, and Pilate now, in derision, asked him, whom he esteemed an ignorant fanatic, whether he could solve this long-agitated question. He might have had an answer. If he had patiently waited in sincerity, Jesus would have told him what it was. Thousands ask the question in the same way. They have a fixed contempt for the Bible; they deride the instructions of religion; they are unwilling to investigate and to wait at the gates of wisdom; and hence, like Pilate, they remain ignorant of the great Source of truth, and die in darkness and in error. All might find truth if they would seek it; none ever will find it if they do not apply for it to the great source of light the God of truth, and seek it patiently in the way in which he has chosen to communicate it to mankind. How highly should we prize the Bible! And how patiently and prayerfully should we search the Scriptures, that we may not err and die forever! See the notes at John 14:6. I find in him no fault - See Luke 23:4." (John 18: 38/godvine) / Truth (Part 1 of 2)
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 22:272 edits
    "Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me." John 14:6 World English Bible

Clarke's Commentary on John 14:6

"I am the Way - That leads so the Father: - the Truth that teaches the knowledge of God, and directs in the way: - the Life that animates all those who seek and serve him, and which is to be enjoyed eternally at the end of the way.

Christ is the Way:

1. By his doctrine, John 6:68.

2. By his example, 1 Peter 2:21.

3. By his sacrifice, Hebrews 9:8, Hebrews 9:9.

4. By his Spirit, John 16:13.

He is the Truth:

1. In opposition to all false religions.

2. To the Mosaic law, which was only the shadow, not the truth or substance, of the good things which were to come. And

3. In respect to all the promises of God, 2 Corinthians 1:20.

He is the Life, both in grace and glory; the life that not only saves from death, but destroys it. No man cometh unto the Father - By any other doctrine, by any other merit, or by any other intercession than mine.

Barnes' Notes on John 14:6

"I am the way - See Isaiah 35:8. By this is meant, doubtless, that they and all others were to have access to God only by obeying the instructions, imitating the example, and depending on the merits of the Lord Jesus Christ. He was the leader in the road, the guide to the wandering, the teacher of the ignorant, and the example to all. See John 6:68; "Thou hast the words of eternal life;" 1 Peter 2:21; "Christ - suffered for us, leaving us an example that ye should follow his steps;" Hebrews 9:8-9.

The truth - The source of truth, or he who originates and communicates truth for the salvation of men. Truth is a representation of things as they are. The life, the purity, and the teaching of Jesus Christ was the most complete and perfect representation of the things of the eternal world that has been or can be presented to man. The ceremonies of the Jews were shadows; the life of Jesus was the truth. The opinions of men are fancy, but the doctrines of Jesus were nothing more than a representation of facts as they exist in the government of God. It is implied in this, also, that Jesus was the fountain of all truth; that by his inspiration the prophets spoke, and that by him all truth is communicated to men. See the notes at John 1:17.

The life - See John 11:25, and the notes at John 1:4.

"No man cometh to the Father but by me - To come to the Father is to obtain his favor, to have access to his throne by prayer, and finally to enter his kingdom. No man can obtain any of these things except by the merits of the Lord Jesus Christ. By coming by him is meant coming in his name and depending on his merits. We are ignorant, and he alone can guide us. We are sinful, and it is only by his merits that we can be pardoned. We are blind, and he only can enlighten us. God has appointed him as the Mediator, and has ordained that all blessings shall descend to this world through him. Hence he has put the world under his control; has given the affairs of men into his hand, and has appointed him to dispense whatever may be necessary for our peace, pardon, and salvation, Acts 4:12; Acts 5:31."

Wesley's Notes on John 14:6

"14:6 To the question concerning the way, he answers, I am the way. To the question concerning knowledge, he answers, I am the truth. To the question whither, I am the life. The first is treated of in this verse ; the second, Joh 14:7 - 17; the third, 14:18, and c."

Verses Related to John 14:6... John 1:12 - "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:"... Ephesians 2:9 - "Not of works, lest any man should boast."... John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 14:6/godvine) / Truth (Part 1 of 2)
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 22:55
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Pilate said to him, "What is truth?" When he had said this, he went out again to the Jews, and said to them, "I find no basis for a charge against him." John 18: 38 (World English Bible)

[b]Clarke's Commentary on John 18:38

"What is truth - Among the sages of that time there were many opinions concerning truth; and some had even suppos ...[text shortened]... John 14:6. I find in him no fault - See Luke 23:4." (John 18: 38/godvine) / Truth (Part 1 of 2)[/b]
    The irony is that the Jews choose Barabbas, a Zealot, to be released instead of Jesus. The destruction of Jerusalem and the Jewish temple in 70 AD is attributed by historians to the insurrection of Jewish rebels like the Zealots.

https://bible.org/seriespage/zealots

The Instructor

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree