1. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Joined
    09 May '08
    Moves
    184487
    23 Oct '13 06:36
    To teach young children today that the world is less than 10,000 years old amounts to the most awful abuse. To warp young minds with the staggeringly ignorant dictum that faith is more important than evidence is more harmful than sexual abuse. To deny the youth of today access to scientific empiricism because it doesn't corroborate a fable written by a wandering desert tribesman 4,000 years ago is lunacy. These wicked views implanted in young minds can be incredibly overpowering, a form of brainwashing, and they will take a stranglehold on their curiosity and love of knowledge. I believe the teaching of Creationism in schools to be a very serious crime.
  2. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Joined
    08 Mar '04
    Moves
    615457
    23 Oct '13 07:00
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    To teach young children today that the world is less than 10,000 years old amounts to the most awful abuse. To warp young minds with the staggeringly ignorant dictum that faith is more important than evidence is more harmful than sexual abuse. To deny the youth of today access to scientific empiricism because it doesn't corroborate a fable written by a wan ...[text shortened]... love of knowledge. I believe the teaching of Creationism in schools to be a very serious crime.
    And the truth be dammed ! :'(:'(
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14583
    23 Oct '13 07:11
    Why just creationism? Why not faith in god(s) altogether?
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    23 Oct '13 07:22
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Why just creationism? Why not faith in god(s) altogether?
    because one is a proven lie.
    the other, when done correctly, can spiritually enrich a person.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14583
    23 Oct '13 07:41
    because one is a proven lie.

    Creationists will disagree with you. And many (all?) atheists consider the stories about god and Jesus and Mohammed to be lies. Lies that are implanted in the minds of humans when they are at their most vulnerable and malleable.

    the other, when done correctly, can spiritually enrich a person.

    A meaningless phrase that can be used by literally everybody – including atheists and cults – to justify their beliefs and actions.
  6. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Joined
    09 May '08
    Moves
    184487
    23 Oct '13 07:54
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Why just creationism? Why not faith in god(s) altogether?
    Belief in a God, though misguide in my view, does no harm to the individual. Indeed many people's lives are enriched through their belief in a God. Teaching Creationism to young children is immoral. Teaching children false scientific facts is just WRONG and flies against the whole philosophy of education.
  7. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    23 Oct '13 08:05
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Belief in a God, though misguide in my view, does no harm to the individual.
    I disagree. Every single theist displays the kind of antiscientific, illogical thought processes that you criticize creationism for. They have to in order to maintain their beliefs.
  8. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Joined
    09 May '08
    Moves
    184487
    23 Oct '13 08:21
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Every single theist displays the kind of antiscientific, illogical thought processes that you criticize creationism for.
    Theism is not illogical, it is simply unscientific. I still assert that faith does the individual no harm. There are many Christian Evolutionists (The Pope and the Archbishop of Canterbury to name just two!). They do not spout the aberrant rubbish of the American Creationists who abuse children's minds.
  9. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Joined
    08 Mar '04
    Moves
    615457
    23 Oct '13 08:38
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Theism is not illogical, it is simply unscientific. I still assert that faith does the individual no harm. There are many Christian Evolutionists (The Pope and the Archbishop of Canterbury to name just two!). They do not spout the aberrant rubbish of the American Creationists who abuse children's minds.
    I agree. I attended Catholic school for my first 8 years of schooling and was taught that evolution was acceptable. That was way back in the 1960's.
  10. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    23 Oct '13 08:40
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Theism is not illogical, it is simply unscientific.
    Belief in the unscientific is illogical.

    I still assert that faith does the individual no harm.
    You are being illogical. Of course faith does both harm and good to the individual, the question is which outweighs the other. It is my claim that the harm is significant and outweighs the good on average.

    There are many Christian Evolutionists (The Pope and the Archbishop of Canterbury to name just two!). They do not spout the aberrant rubbish of the American Creationists who abuse children's minds.
    Just because they don't spout creationism doesn't mean they don't spout other rubbish.
  11. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Joined
    09 May '08
    Moves
    184487
    23 Oct '13 09:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead

    Just because they don't spout creationism doesn't mean they don't spout other rubbish.
    Agreed. But belief in the immaculate conception or the resurrection or the assumption to Heaven, or other such tosh does the individual no harm. Brainwashing Creationist rubbish positively harms young children.
  12. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Joined
    09 May '08
    Moves
    184487
    23 Oct '13 09:05
    Originally posted by caissad4
    I agree. I attended Catholic school for my first 8 years of schooling and was taught that evolution was acceptable. That was way back in the 1960's.
    The Catholics, through misguided in other areas of Christian dogma, take a more enlightened view of evolution.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    23 Oct '13 09:20
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    [b]because one is a proven lie.

    Creationists will disagree with you. And many (all?) atheists consider the stories about god and Jesus and Mohammed to be lies. Lies that are implanted in the minds of humans when they are at their most vulnerable and malleable.

    the other, when done correctly, can spiritually enrich a person.

    A meani ...[text shortened]... ed by literally everybody – including atheists and cults – to justify their beliefs and actions.[/b]
    "Creationists will disagree with you."
    proven science is not up for debate. it is not up for personal opinion.

    "atheists consider"
    some are lies and some are speculations. a true believer questions his faith. faith without reason is blind. one can claim that god, from a scientific point of view doesn't exist and that is ok. believers act on faith in a higher power, not on knowing for a fact that higher power exists. these realms are separate and should remain separate.


    "A meaningless phrase that can be used by literally everybody – including atheists and cults – to justify their beliefs and actions"
    as long as a person is spiritually enriched, yes, it can be used by everyone which is absolutely no problem. a christian doesn't hold a monopoly on spirituality. if you christian correctly, your life can be improved, just like a vegan veganing correctly is improving his life. if the veganing isn't done correctly, one develops malnutrition.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    23 Oct '13 09:23
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I disagree. Every single theist displays the kind of antiscientific, illogical thought processes that you criticize creationism for. They have to in order to maintain their beliefs.
    that is called being a human. every atheist does it too. you can't logically justify buying a luxury car, you can't justify jewelry, you can't justify love.

    you have a philosphical system and you criticize someone that holds a different one.
  15. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    23 Oct '13 09:24
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Agreed. But belief in the immaculate conception or the resurrection or the assumption to Heaven, or other such tosh does the individual no harm. Brainwashing Creationist rubbish positively harms young children.
    Why is one irrational belief more damaging than another? You just keep repeating that it does not harm but give no justification for your claim.
Back to Top