1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Feb '19 17:15
    @suzianne said
    Yes, precisely so. This is why Christians (should) follow the commandments of Jesus, and why Christians are not beholden to Mosaic law. Before Jesus, Mosaic law had to be followed to fulfill God's will. Now we have the words of Jesus to follow directly, instead of hundreds of laws in the Torah. The ministry of Jesus the Christ was a watershed moment in human history. It changed everything.
    It changed everything.

I would say that it marked an awakening in the human consciousness of morality, from mere rote following of rules (as epitomised by the Pharisees and the Sadducees) to consciousness of responsibility. A similar awakening occurred in ancient Greece and is recounted in Plato's account of Socrates' trial and execution.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Feb '19 17:21
    @fmf said
    The thread was about what can be argued is missing.
    What is missing (from your OP list) are sins of omission.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '19 17:43
    @fmf said
    You have simply got the wrong end of the stick.

At the end of 8 pages of discussion, I have begun to reach my own deduction in this thought exercise, in part due to consideration of the answers and claims you offered. You are entitled to reach your own conclusions

I think the two Assumptions fail to withstand scrutiny given answers '1. No' and '2. Yes' to the Questions beca ...[text shortened]... pear, instead, to be merely some rules written by humans which reflected the morality of their time.
    Do you believe all the scriptural text is from divine revelation or the will of man?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Feb '19 22:30
    @kellyjay said
    Do you believe all the scriptural text is from divine revelation or the will of man?
    You sometimes post as if you have anterograde amnesia.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '19 23:23
    @fmf said
    Let’s assume that the author of the 10 commandments is God. I was simply confirming that was never your intention.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Feb '19 23:39
    @kellyjay said
    Let’s assume that the author of the 10 commandments is God. I was simply confirming that was never your intention.
    Of course that was the initial assumption for the thought exercise. See the OP. But the discussion has developed. We are on page 10 now. Your posts have underlined how manmade the Hebrew and Christian scriptures seem. It was never my intention to somehow talk myself back into being superstitious again or to assume that "the author of the 10 commandments is God" indefinitely. This has been a thought exercise intended to examine the credibility of the two assumptions. I think they have failed the test. Presumably you don't agree.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Feb '19 23:39
    @kellyjay said
    Do you?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Feb '19 23:40
    @moonbus said
    What is missing (from your OP list) are sins of omission.
    Good point.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Feb '19 04:241 edit
    @moonbus said
    It changed everything.

I would say that it marked an awakening in the human consciousness of morality, from mere rote following of rules (as epitomised by the Pharisees and the Sadducees) to consciousness of responsibility. A similar awakening occurred in ancient Greece and is recounted in Plato's account of Socrates' trial and execution.
    My point in saying that the ministry of Jesus changed everything, is that it made a previously inaccessible God (except through the high priests) accessible to everyone. This made Christianity the first 'personal' religion. Or, as you say, a "consciousness of [personal] responsibility".
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Feb '19 08:09
    @fmf said
    😆
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Feb '19 12:28
    @suzianne said
    My point in saying that the ministry of Jesus changed everything, is that it made a previously inaccessible God (except through the high priests) accessible to everyone. This made Christianity the first 'personal' religion. Or, as you say, a "consciousness of [personal] responsibility".
    There is a pre-parallel in the East, in the Bodhisattva figure, an enlightened one who has reached the state of being able to not return (i.e., nirvana), but, upon seeing all the creatures which had not reached the blessed state, Bodhisattva 'sacrifices' his own berth in nirvana and vows to stay in the embodied state until the very last living creature has made it to nirvana—-Bodhisattva will enter last of all. A rather interesting twist on the "last shall be first and first shall be last" idea.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree