Ten Commandments Revisited

Ten Commandments Revisited

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 Feb 19

@fmf said
There are some variations. But, to kick this off, here are the Ten Commandments I grew up with.

[b]1. I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt not have any strange gods before Me

2. You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God

3. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy

4. Honor your Father and Mother

5. You shall not kill

6. You shall not commit adultery with ...[text shortened]... are comprehensive and foresighted or are there some common types of "sin"/moral imperatives missing?
I am surprised no one here has yet called you out on missing the Third Commandment.

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments." -- Exodus 20:4-6, KJV

What you have listed as the ninth and tenth are actually both the Tenth Commandment.

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's." -- Exodus 20:17, KJV

You did claim to be a Christian at one time, didn't you?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 Feb 19

@fmf said
"You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honour your father and mother.’" ~ Mark 10:17-23
Your citation is wrong. What you have here is only Mark 10:19.

F

Moves
23 Feb 19

@suzianne said
I am surprised no one here has yet called you out on missing the Third Commandment.

You did claim to be a Christian at one time, didn't you?
I was a Catholic.

F

Moves
23 Feb 19

@suzianne said
Your citation is wrong. What you have here is only Mark 10:19.
Yes indeed.

Über-Nerd

Moves
23 Feb 19

@FMF
Item 6. forbids having sex with someone else’s spouse but not with someone who is not anyone’s spouse. Yippee, Open season !

Moves
23 Feb 19

@fmf said
When asked about the Commandments, Jesus didn't mention these ones:

1. I am the Lord your God
2. You shall have no other gods before me
3. Do not take the name of the Lord in vain
4. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy

But Jesus, according to Mark 10:17-23, did mention these commandments:

a. You shall not kill/murder
b. You shall not commit adultery
c. You shall n ...[text shortened]... and mother.’" ~ Mark 10:17-23

Were these, judging by Jesus' answer, the six more important ones?
Nice emphasis.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Feb 19

@fmf said
Why isn't it an imperative for ALL Christians?
What do you care, you think its the right thing to do, do you do it? Is it a commandment in your life? You feel it should also be the commandments on other people's lives?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
23 Feb 19

@fmf said
There are some variations. But, to kick this off, here are the Ten Commandments I grew up with.

[b]1. I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt not have any strange gods before Me

2. You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God

3. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy

4. Honor your Father and Mother

5. You shall not kill

6. You shall not commit adultery with ...[text shortened]... are comprehensive and foresighted or are there some common types of "sin"/moral imperatives missing?
The list has room for many additions. Here are some I'd add:

Thou shalt not own slaves, nor treat people as property.

Thou shalt not physically assault any person, unless that person is acting to harm thyself or other innocents.

Thou shalt not have sexual relations with anyone, including thine own wife, without their consent.

Thou shalt pay thy staff a fair wage, and treat them as human beings, rather than numbers in a scheme to maximize profits.

Thou shalt buy and sell goods honestly, for fair prices.

Thou shalt not enrich thyself through fraud.

F

Moves
23 Feb 19
1 edit

@kellyjay said
What do you care, you think its the right thing to do, do you do it? Is it a commandment in your life? You feel it should also be the commandments on other people's lives?
Ignore the fact it's touching a political nerve. Why isn't it an imperative for all Christians? I put it to you that - spiritually speaking - it's a notion that lies at the very core of being a Christian.

I am asking you to set aside things like the fact that you vote Republican or that you dislike things like your taxes being used to address "complex" problems like poverty as a "joint effort" orchestrated by the state.

I put it to you that the idea that "You shall be charitable and fight poverty" is located at the very heart of being a Christian at the personal level; forget retail U.S. politics.

F

Moves
23 Feb 19

@kellyjay said
You want to take it on as life commandment go for it.
You seem to see being charitable as optional for Christians rather than mandatory.

F

Moves
23 Feb 19

@kellyjay said
You think what you say here is not covered in the ten?
I don't see how they are. Perhaps you can explain how you think the suggestions "You shall not own human beings as chattel" and "You shall not rape" are already "covered in the ten".

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Feb 19

@fmf said
Ignore the fact it's touching a political nerve. Why isn't it an imperative for all Christians? I put it to you that - spiritually speaking - it's a notion that lies at the very core of being a Christian.

I am asking you to set aside things like the fact that you vote Republican or that you dislike things like your taxes being used to address "complex" problems like poverty a ...[text shortened]... s located at the very heart of being a Christian at the personal level; forget retail U.S. politics.
I don’t care what the political ramifications are! The only thing that matters are God’s design and desires for people are.

F

Moves
23 Feb 19

@bigdoggproblem said
Thou shalt not enrich thyself through fraud.
While this instruction does not appear to be covered in the Ten Commandments, it was among the six instructions that Jesus is said to have mentioned in Mark 10:19.

F

Moves
23 Feb 19

@kellyjay said
I don’t care what the political ramifications are! The only thing that matters are God’s design and desires for people are.
Does the Christian God - according to your belefs - desire people to be charitable?

F

Moves
23 Feb 19

@kellyjay said
The only thing that matters are God’s design and desires for people are.
I would have thought that you, as a Christian, would believe that God's design would be for his followers to fight poverty in whatever they can and in whatever way that works.