1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 19:28
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I am not so sure about that. Many of the ills I have experienced were things I had little or no control over. The same goes for many other people I know. Other ills may be due to not doing the right thing (or best thing in the circumstance) but often that is without knowledge of what the best thing to do was.

I certainly think that some of the worst tr ...[text shortened]... ot brought on the victims by themselves though in some cases the cause is most definitely human.
    When Kelly says that, "Our ills for the most part are brought upon us by
    ourselves", I don't think he meant as individuals, but rather humanity as a whole. Humanity brings their own collective ills upon themselves.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 20:48
    Originally posted by rwingett
    ourselves", I don't think he meant as individuals, but rather humanity as a whole. Humanity brings their own collective ills upon themselves.
    Yes, you read it as I meant it.
    We do tend to be our own enemies instead of brothers.
    Kelly
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Nov '08 06:46
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Yes, you read it as I meant it.
    We do tend to be our own enemies instead of brothers.
    Kelly
    I don't entirely disagree with you but I am doubtful that we can accurately describe the majority of our ills in that way. For example many natural disasters are avoidable simply by avoiding living in areas that are prone to natural disasters. But is it accurate to say that we bring it on ourselves because we haven't evacuated all earthquake zones, all coastal zones (tsunami risk), all hurricane, typhoon or tornado areas, all areas at risk of drought or floods and so on?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '08 07:41
    Originally posted by rwingett
    One thing we can be sure of is - no supernatural being is involved in any of the ills. They all have natural causes.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '08 08:41
    Dunno the meaning behind the first thanksgiving day but at first there were no killings. so the first thanksgiving was about getting safely with the boat cruise and not getting killed by injuns.

next year they probably got their guns and killed the injuns so they were thankful again.

we all need a holiday in which to give thanks to the universe for the things we got and be thankful for being healthy to get the things we want. the background of this holiday is horrible of course and the stuffing oneself as hoh said is undesirable. change is in order i am guessing.
  6. England
    Moves
    28 Nov '08 15:54
    do native americans celebrate thanks giving day??. do african americans celebrate as well,
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Nov '08 15:57
    I don't entirely disagree with you but I am doubtful that we can accurately describe the majority of our ills in that way. For example many natural disasters are avoidable simply by avoiding living in areas that are prone to natural disasters. But is it accurate to say that we bring it on ourselves because we haven't evacuated all earthquake zones, all co ...[text shortened]... k), all hurricane, typhoon or tornado areas, all areas at risk of drought or floods and so on?
    I'll bet if you add up all the grief we as a people have endured, those
    types are small compared to the things done by our own hands.
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Nov '08 15:58
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    Dunno the meaning behind the first thanksgiving day but at first there were no killings. so the first thanksgiving was about getting safely with the boat cruise and not getting killed by injuns.

next year they probably got their guns and killed the injuns so they were thankful again.

we all need a holiday in which to give thanks to the universe for ...[text shortened]... of course and the stuffing oneself as hoh said is undesirable. change is in order i am guessing.
    You should read about it if that is what you think.
    Kelly
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '08 16:01
    You should read about it if that is what you think.
    Kelly
    set me straight then. what is it all about? tell me the story and i will tell you how the same people who were thankful for the right reasons at first were thankful for the wrong reasons later.

no really, i am open to corrections and debating. no sarcasm
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Nov '08 16:28
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    set me straight then. what is it all about? tell me the story and i will tell you how the same people who were thankful for the right reasons at first were thankful for the wrong reasons later.

no really, i am open to corrections and debating. no sarcasm
    It's simple really. The colonists were starving and the Indians gave them a hand. The tradition stems from that event and should not be confused with subsequent events resulting in the deaths of native Americans or any other injustices resulting in the formation of this country.

Thanks Giving is a national Holiday based on a tradition.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Nov '08 19:12
    I'll bet if you add up all the grief we as a people have endured, those
    types are small compared to the things done by our own hands.
    Kelly
    I have heard that at the time of the first world war, more people died of the flu than died in the war.
    I think disease causes more death worldwide than anything else.
  12. Playing with matches
    Moves
    28 Nov '08 21:26
    I have heard that at the time of the first world war, more people died of the flu than died in the war.
    I think disease causes more death worldwide than anything else.
    Which is exactly why Native Americans were given small pox contaminated blankets. Disease was well recognized by th Europeans as being a great natural scourge of the native problem. Particularly as they had no natural defenses/immunities built up. I imagine the Europeans were quite thankful for pestilence preying on the natives in addition to all the other bounties the New World had bestowed upon them.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Nov '08 03:26
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Which is exactly why Native Americans were given small pox contaminated blankets. Disease was well recognized by th Europeans as being a great natural scourge of the native problem. Particularly as they had no natural defenses/immunities built up. I imagine the Europeans were quite thankful for pestilence preying on the natives in addition to all the other bounties the New World had bestowed upon them.
    Party crasher!! 😠
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '08 11:32
    Originally posted by josephw
    It's simple really. The colonists were starving and the Indians gave them a hand. The tradition stems from that event and should not be confused with subsequent events resulting in the deaths of native Americans or any other injustices resulting in the formation of this country.

Thanks Giving is a national Holiday based on a tradition.
    sure, but we are talking about the people who starved, got a helping hand from the indians and then went and killed them. we are talking about the people who still gave thanks even during the indian massacre, even during slavery. even the KKK gave thanks after they returned from a lynching.

thanksgiving has nothing to do with murder. its just that the murderers should have the decency to not celebrate it. because by giving thanks for the gains they got by murder they are committing murder again.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Nov '08 15:30
    I don't entirely disagree with you but I am doubtful that we can accurately describe the majority of our ills in that way. For example many natural disasters are avoidable simply by avoiding living in areas that are prone to natural disasters. But is it accurate to say that we bring it on ourselves because we haven't evacuated all earthquake zones, all co ...[text shortened]... k), all hurricane, typhoon or tornado areas, all areas at risk of drought or floods and so on?
    So that leaves us with what, 20 square miles north of Toronto?🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree