1. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 20:311 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    So the practice is neither desirable or undesirable, yet the law which governs said practice is 'perfect'? Surely if the law is perfect the practice it governs would be desirable?
    why, perfect simply means that it was fit for a purpose.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 20:32
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    What hygiene laws?
    The hygiene laws in the Mosaic law.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 21:07
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The etymology of "perfect" leads back to "complete."
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 22:46
    Originally posted by whodey
    I beat her cause she needs to be put in her place.

Now answer the question. 😠
    Duh, I already answered it...you know, when I implied that it is a question predicated on non-fact.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 22:471 edit
    ..., then again it wasn't until Miss Florence Nightingale and the Crimean war that the link between hygiene and disease was firmly established, ....
    Please don't promote this myth as well as the bible nonsense.
    Miss FN made no such link.
    She never went to the Crimea.

She was however a fine staticsician, social reformer and founder of the nursing profession.

(All part of the Primary Curriculum in England & Wales!!!)
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 22:491 edit
    That's retarded. You can take any action or program and it will be fit for some purpose. For instance, rape is fit for a purpose...the purpose of sexual assault.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 22:57
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    May I ask why?
    Is sarcasm lost on you?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 00:20
    Originally posted by LemonJello

Is sarcasm lost on you?
    "A sarcastic person has a superiority complex that can be cured only by the honesty of humility." Lawrence G. Lovasik
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 02:04
    "A sarcastic person has a superiority complex that can be cured only by the honesty of humility." Lawrence G. Lovasik
    Yes but in your case LJ's superiority is honest.
    And your humility is well deserved.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 02:12
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Thank you, wolfgang59. There's merit in candor, given a receptive audience.
    I'm pleased that you're contributing to and enjoying this conversation.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 03:49
    "The atheist atheists love to hate" (OP)

"Hobart Mauer, famed psychologist, who earned his doctorate degree from Johns Hopkins, for four years was instructor at Yale, for eight years taught at Harvard, and in 1954 became president of the American Psychological Association was also an avowed atheist, and ended his life by suicide.

In 1960 he wrote an article entitled “Sin, the Lesser of Two Evils,” in The American Psychologist magazine. In it he said, “For several decades we psychologists have looked upon the whole matter of sin and moral accountability as a great incubus and we have acclaimed our freedom from it as epic making. But at length we have discovered to be free in this sense to have the excuse of being sick rather than being sinful is to also court the danger of becoming lost. In becoming amoral, ethically neutral and free, we have cut the very roots of our being, lost our deepest sense of selfhood and identity. And with neurotics themselves, asking, “Who am I? What is my deepest destiny? And what does living really mean?”

His letter generated so much controversy that in a follow up article he clarified writing, “If we merely call it wrong-doing, we do not understand the gravity of what it is to violate some of these moral laws from which we are trying to break ourselves away." http://truthlab.wordpress.com/tag/hobart-mauer/

"Mowrer had hoped to remain professionally active in retirement, but circumstances forced him to slow down shortly after he retired in 1975. Molly became seriously ill and he developed medical problems of his own. Molly's death in 1979 was a great loss, and also left him with few responsibilities. He had accepted that his periodic depressions would never be entirely cured, and had long held the opinion that suicide was a reasonable choice in some circumstances. He committed suicide in 1982 at the age of 75." (wiki)

Comments?
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 06:25
    My father in law said of many people, "A humble man, with much to be humble about." He may have copped it.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 07:42
    One of Winston Churchill’s most famous and funny quips concerned his
    political opponent Clement Attlee. Apparently interrupting a Churchill rant,
    a friend said, ‘But surely, Mr. Churchill, you admit that Mr. Attlee is a
    humble man?’ To which Churchill replied, ‘He is a humble man, but then he
    has much to be humble about!’

http://lexloiz.wordpress.com/2009/06/09/cultivating-humility/
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 07:595 edits
    Please don't promote this myth as well as the bible nonsense.
    Miss FN made no such link.
    She never went to the Crimea.

She was however a fine staticsician, social reformer and founder of the nursing profession.

(All part of the Primary Curriculum in England & Wales!!!)
    She came to prominence while serving as a nurse during the Crimean War, where she tended to wounded soldiers. She was dubbed "The Lady with the Lamp" after her habit of making rounds at night.

Early 21st century commentators have asserted Nightingale's achievements in the Crimean War had been exaggerated by the media at the time, to satisfy the public's need for a hero, but her later achievements remain widely accepted.

wikipedia,

does your scepticism know no bounds that you would besmirch the reputation of a nurse? nae an angelic figure in earthly garb? Shame on it! shame! Face the facts, the Bibles hygiene laws, if applied, would have saved countless lives, but then again wisdom is proved righteous by its works! Learn what it means my illustrious friend!

The conductor (of the magical Colle bus) 😏
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    22 Sep '13 01:59
    does your scepticism know no bounds that you would besmirch the reputation of a nurse? nae an angelic figure in earthly garb? Shame on it! shame!
    My scepticism is boundless!

Mary Seacole is the preferred heroine for today's children. 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree