converging to it
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 17:20
    RJHinds said:
    "You forgot "unreasonable" for one thing. I am sure there are others too."

"A good example of being unreasonable."

"Too much nonsense to read"

---------------------------
    To complete the triune of stupidity we just need RBHILL to drop by now. How curious it is that the three biggest chumps on this forum all have short aliases beginning with a capitalised "r". 😞
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 17:27
    Originally posted by Agerg
    RJHinds said:
    "You forgot "unreasonable" for one thing. I am sure there are others too."

"A good example of being unreasonable."

"Too much nonsense to read"

---------------------------
    To complete the triune of stupidity we just need RBHILL to drop by now. How curious it is that the three biggest chumps on this forum all have short aliases beginning with a capitalised "r". 😞
    Maybe we both have "Royal" names fit for a king.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 18:38
    Ah yes, the parody of logical thought as engineered by the creators of Star Trek haven't done us atheists any favours. Not that you'd want to sit through it but following on from googlefudge's link there was an interesting talk about the "straw vulcan" I watched yesterday on youtube. It demonstrates the absurdity of this character and the fact it is a very poo ...[text shortened]... om/2011/11/26/the-straw-vulcan-hollywoods-illogical-approach-to-logical-decisionmaking/[/i]
    Are you saying logical thought is exclusive to atheists? I know lots of (apparent) atheists who are completely irrational and ilogical. I'm a theist and am very logical.
  4. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 18:461 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Are you saying logical thought is exclusive to atheists? I know lots of (apparent) atheists who are completely irrational and ilogical. I'm a theist and am very logical.
    I mentioned in my post prior to the one you quote here that an atheist need not necessarily be logical. I never excluded theists from being logical but there is certainly a breakdown of logic or rationality for a subset of theists (those who are fundamentalists - talking snakes or magic knowledge fruits anyone!?? 🙄 ).
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 19:00
    I mentioned in my post prior to the one you quote here that an atheist need not necessarily be logical. I never excluded theists from being logical but there is certainly a breakdown of logic or rationality for a subset of theists (those who are fundamentalists - talking snakes or magic knowledge fruits anyone!?? 🙄 ).
    Missed that sorry. I struggle constantly with the paradox of being logical and rational and yet being a theist, but I guess that's where faith comes in. That's irrational I know!
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 20:171 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Missed that sorry. I struggle constantly with the paradox of being logical and rational and yet being a theist, but I guess that's where faith comes in. That's irrational I know!
    Why belittle yourself like that for being a theist? Are you starting to believe
    some of their lies?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 11:42
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    some of their lies?
    No I think he merely wishes to distance himself from southern baptist selling rice crispy
    cakes to build a super church complete with gym, sauna and free competitions to win a
    play station 3.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 13:46
    We atheists, both individually and collectively are cold, callous, immoral, evil, communist bent automations who, alongside worshipping Charles Darwin, ruminating over our hatred for "God" and those theists who believe in it, partake in every vice humans have ever devised (by atheists of course!). As perpetual liars we cannot be trusted and lack even the mi ...[text shortened]... planet

---------------
    Theists (in particular - rvsakhadeo), over to you to explain.
    huh? who said that? what is the purpose of this thread and this post?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 18:38
    Originally posted by mikelom
    When you refer to atheists in your words contained, do you also include Buddhists in your conclusion?

How many times do I have to state that Buddhists are atheists too?

You say, quote, [b]"Anything else which adds to or dignifies or beautifies human life is perforce excluded or excludible"

I'd love you to come to Thailand and argue that nonsense ...[text shortened]... o the fact that atheists are all of one belief system and that, frankly, stinks! 😠

-M. 🙁[/b]
    So Buddhists are atheists. No kidding. I do not believe you'll get any argument about this.

So what was your point again?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 18:45
    some of their lies?
    I don't consider honesty, self-awareness and the ability to hold contradicting viewpoints in my mind at one time "belittling myself".

By "their" I assume you are referring to the beliefs of atheists? Actually I have more issues with some of the theists and pompous philosophical intellectuals in this forum.
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 19:402 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    huh? who said that? what is the purpose of this thread and this post?
    Take all the fundy Christians in this forum along with people like rvsakhadeo (who may or may not be a fundamentalist in whatever religion he follows), take the union of all their stereotypes of atheists and I'm sure the set of traits I listed in the OP is a proper subset of that union.

My purpose was to tease out some reasoning (if such extends beyond what they blindly follow from www.[insert fundy site name].com) behind their respective positions. Moreover, as rvsakhadeo was generous enough to provide his rationale I responded in kind with a lengthy response.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 20:14
    Too much nonsense to read.
    But when you post your long tracts we are supposed to read it right?
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 23:26
    Take all the fundy Christians in this forum along with people like rvsakhadeo (who may or may not be a fundamentalist in whatever religion he follows), take the union of all their stereotypes of atheists and I'm sure the set of traits I listed in the OP is a proper subset of that union.

My purpose was to tease out some reasoning (if such extends beyond what ...[text shortened]... hadeo was generous enough to provide his rationale I responded in kind with a lengthy response.
    And yet you can go ahead and stereotype all you like, calling all of us "fundamentalists"?
  14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 23:342 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    And yet you can go ahead and stereotype all you like, calling all of us "fundamentalists"?
    I neither said nor even implied that *all* of you are fundamentalists. Or if I did, please demonstrate this is so.

On the other hand I find it difficult to divorce you from those of a fundamentalist mentality given what you believe about some great cataclysmic battle that will be waged between Jesus and the minions of hell (and their lackeys - presumably atheists!?) at some point within your lifetime, or your "poorly veiled" negative stance towards athiests in general.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 23:48
    I neither said nor even implied that *all* of you are fundamentalists. Or if I did, please demonstrate this is so.

On the other hand I find it difficult to divorce you from those of a fundamentalist mentality given what you believe about some great cataclysmic battle that will be waged between Jesus and the minions of hell (and their lackeys - presumably at ...[text shortened]... int within your lifetime, or your "poorly veiled" negative stance towards athiests in general.
    I guess by your definition, then, all Christians ARE "fundamentalists".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree