The Beatitudes

The Beatitudes

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
25 Jul 06

Originally posted by LemonJello
[b]Could you explain how meaning is compatible with the absurd -- two seemingly contradictory terms?

Absurdism is incompatible with ultimate meaning. It is incompatible with immortality, eternal significance, and permanence. That's all. To say that the absurd is incompatible with all meaning is patently false. To see that, all we have to do is ...[text shortened]... ...gasp...nothing at all. It works that way for you, as well as the absurdist.[/b]
To say that the absurd is incompatible with all meaning is patently false.

Righto. So essentially you are arguing that “meaning” and “the absurd” are not mutually exclusive since neither of them is used as an absolute. Is that correct?

I was under the impression that you were a supporter of deontological maxims: I find it surprising that you would advance the notion that The Ends justify the mean(ing)s.

Yes, I do subscribe to deontological maxims, and no, I despise the view where the "end justifying the means".

That happiness arises from contentment is tautological.

I disagree - contentment is an ingredient, but hardly the final product.

So, no. Camus' prescription calls for happiness that arises in the midst of confrontation, where the confrontation is between the person and an unreasonable world.

Our differences of definition aside, how does confrontation cause contentment, unless confrontation is the end goal?

This is the same charge you level against atheism. It's the old "this spoon ain't a good spoon because it ain't a knife" criticism; and it is completely irrelevant. There's no "problem" here.

You're not getting away this easily; IMO, a worldview has to address four issues to be validly considered as such: Origins, Destiny, Eternity and Morality. Whether you like it or not, your absurdist weltanschauung does actually address all four. Unfortunately for you, it allows individual preference of action and/or ethical system. If you claim, as you seem to be doing here, that absurdism has nothing to say about morals, you shouldn't forget that this is a stance in and of itself. The problem lies in that your worldview does not allow for objective moral/ethical judgments, only subjective preference claims.

Eventually, at the foundations of our noetic structures, we all possess (properly) basic normative beliefs that are supported by...gasp...nothing at all. It works that way for you, as well as the absurdist.

At least my normative beliefs are ontologically undergirded by our "endowment" as moral agents -- something you have no way of explaining without committing the fallacy, since your origins are inherently naturalistic.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
25 Jul 06

Originally posted by LemonJello
That's just a silly sound bite resembling the one often attributed to Dostoevsky that serves no purpose but to fuel the irrational fears of the fundamentalists. It's easy to submit it. Now show us your support for it. What's Premise 1?
IIRC it was Tolstoy; but that aside:

1) Our actions do influence our immediate destiny (just threw this one in for what it's worth).
2) Our actions don't influence our ultimate destiny.
3) Our actions are ultimately meaningless in defining our ultimate destiny.
4) No action is ultimately preferable to another.
5) All actions are ultimately permissible.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
25 Jul 06
1 edit

Being aware;
being aware of being aware,
and always aware from “some-here”—

How does any of this require the inference of a substantive “self,” like a homunculus in the head, so to speak? A hobgoblin in the body? A “ghost in the machine?”

When there is seeing, there is seeing. When there is feeling, there is feeling. When there is thinking, there is thinking. Experiencing is experiencing. “I” don’t “have” a body; my existing entails bodily form—that is why “I” can only aware from “some-here;” there is no view from nowhere. All alternatives are metaphysical speculations, no more (to what purpose? the enjoyment of thinking/imagining? okay).

“...one of the great sources of philosophical bewilderment: we try to find a substance for a substantive.” A “bewitchment of the intellect by language...” (Wittgenstein)

Well, can you find a substance-self, a non-constructed somebody-I? That is the question of LJ’s koan. Thinking about such a koan never gets anybody anywhere; it calls for a ruthless searching. Don’t think; don’t infer—look! Or not, as you choose... (If you choose, take your time, with a kind of relaxed diligence; no need to force it—the question is one of clarity, and undisturbed mind: ataraxia, mushin.)

Everything in this post can be viewed as a question.

Being aware;

Why hang a picture over a window?
Why “paint legs on a snake?”

After four months, hello. Hope you are all well. Thank you all for the many kind comments I find on my “last post.”

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
25 Jul 06

Originally posted by vistesd
Being aware;

How does any of this require the inference of a substantive “self,” like a homunculus in the head, so to speak? A hobgoblin in the body? A “ghost in the machine?”

When there is seeing, there is seeing. When there is feeling, there is feeli ...[text shortened]... llo. Hope you are all well. Thank you all for the many kind comments I find on my “last post.”
Doth my eyes deceive me?

Hmmm . . .

Moves
25 Jul 06

Originally posted by telerion
Doth my eyes deceive me?
Hello, Tel. Maybe I'm just a ghost in the machine...? 🙂

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
25 Jul 06
1 edit

Being aware;

When there is seeing, there is seeing. When there is feeling, there is feeli ...[text shortened]... llo. Hope you are all well. Thank you all for the many kind comments I find on my “last post.”
I just knew you would come back ....... 🙂

N

The sky

Moves
26 Jul 06

Originally posted by Halitose
IIRC it was Tolstoy
No, it was Dostoevsky. It's an essential question, maybe the essential question, in "The Brothers Karamasov". What's interesting is that the person who discusses and advocates this idea most, Ivan, doesn't live by it. He has evil wishes (wishing the death of his father) and believes there's nothing wrong with having those thoughts, but he would never act on them. For him, it seems to be a logical construct which has little bearing on real life. I think it is incompatible with human nature.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
26 Jul 06

Hello, Tel. Maybe I'm just a ghost in the machine...?
I don't believe it. Show me the holes!

Great to read you again.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
26 Jul 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
No, it was Dostoevsky. It's an essential question, maybe the essential question, in "The Brothers Karamasov". What's interesting is that the person who discusses and advocates this idea most, Ivan, doesn't live by it. He has evil wishes (wishing the death of his father) and believes there's nothing wrong with having those thoughts, but he would never ...[text shortened]... truct which has little bearing on real life. I think it is incompatible with human nature.
I stand corrected.

It's a little unclear from your post as to what you think is incompatible with human nature: evil wishes, the absence thereof, actions influencing our destiny??

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
26 Jul 06

Being aware;

After four months, hello. Hope you are all well. Thank you all for the many kind comments I find on my “last post.”

The wonderer returns! Good to see you again.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
26 Jul 06

Originally posted by telerion
Doth my eyes deceive me?
Doth my eyes deceive me?

That should be "mine", junior. 😛

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
26 Jul 06

[b]Doth my eyes deceive me?

That should be "mine", junior. 😛[/b]
It should be "do mine eyes deceive me". "Doth" is the third person of the verb, as in He doth drive me up the wall.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
26 Jul 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
It should be "do mine eyes deceive me". "Doth" is the third person of the verb, as in He doth drive me up the wall.
I beg to differ. "Doth" is the archaic third person singular present of "do" (according to the Oxford English Dictionary). Tel was perfectly correct in his use of the word.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
26 Jul 06
1 edit

I beg to differ. "Doth" is the archaic third person singular present of "do" (according to the Oxford English Dictionary). Tel was perfectly correct in his use of the word.
"Eyes" is a plural subject, unless my eyes deceives me.

"When most I wink then do mine eyes best see."
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 43)

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
26 Jul 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
"Eyes" is a plural subject, unless my eyes deceives me.
Dang! Twice in one thread -- I stand corrected. I'm showing some poor form lately.