1. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 01:09
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'll withdraw the comment that LH's statement was a lie and replace it with his comment was insufferable, snotnose, petty nitpicking.
    😀
  2. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 13:36
    Originally posted by bbarr
    You know, reading the arguments of skeptics isn't like reading standard text. There's knowledge that must be applied for proper understanding. Think of it like logic. If you don't understand a proof, is that a problem with the proof, or a problem with you? If you learn more, you'll be able to understand the proof. Same is true of skeptical arguments. The ...[text shortened]... in epistemology to know that the skeptical arguments presented above are indeed decisive.
    That's true. The difference is that we all live in the physical world and therefore are forced to interact with it and learn about it. The end result is that the average theist has learned more about the physical world than the average skeptic as learned about the spiritual world.

DF
  3. London
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 15:56
    It appears that you are sooooooooooooooooo correct; heliocentrism isn't true! The center of the Solar System isn't the Sun, it's "actually a little bit outside the radius of the Sun". Grab a rack and an Iron Maiden; all those high school and college professors must be punished for their terrible "intellectual dishonesty".
    Where I come from, high school and college professors of physics don't actually teach that the Sun is the centre of the solar system. The concept of centre of mass is introduced around Grade 9.

As to the Iron Maiden:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_maiden_%28torture_device%29

Incidentally, I do like the band. 🙂
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 16:05
    I'll withdraw the comment that LH's statement was a lie and replace it with his comment was insufferable, snotnose, petty nitpicking.
    How gracious of you. Even in defeat, ever the gentleman.
  5. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 18:50
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    How gracious of you. Even in defeat, ever the gentleman.
    Defeat? Did I miss something? Did we establish Galileo was correctly punished for not being aware of Einstein's theories?
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 21:00
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Defeat? Did I miss something? Did we establish Galileo was correctly punished for not being aware of Einstein's theories?
    It shows how lax in his scientific efforts he was.
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 21:21
    It shows how lax in his scientific efforts he was.
    LOL! I think that irrespective of Galileo not being absolutely technically correct, he was far, far in advance of many of his contempories. Heliocentrism maybe isn't correct in terms of the whole universe, but it's a reasonable model for the way the solar system operates. Definately better than the churchs' immobile earth ideas. Still stinks that a guy gets persecuted for espousing an idea.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 21:35
    Apparently, you did.

This was on the heels of No1 being corrected as to the axis of the solar system. Unless, of course, I missed something.
  9. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 21:41
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Apparently, you did.

This was on the heels of No1 being corrected as to the axis of the solar system. Unless, of course, I missed something.
    Oh. I thought you meant "defeated" on the substantive issue.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 21:52
    Oh. I thought you meant "defeated" on the substantive issue.
    Nah, they'll be here 'till hell freezes over. Small comfort, that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree