1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 12:08
    Originally posted by josephw
    I didn't call you a hypocrite. I said "act" like a hypocrite.
    Why is it that everyone posting here can't read strait.
    I say exactly what I mean, and mean exactly what I say!
    Do you say those things to your mother that you say here because she is a christain. I think not.
    I have never denigrated anyone in this forum. But I am free to say anything I want about what they say.
    You may know science, but I know God.
    I didn't call you a hypocrite. I said "act" like a hypocrite.

What's the difference?

Do you say those things to your mother that you say here because she is a christain. I think not.

Nope, I don't say these things to her. She's not the sharpest tool in the box, and isn't doing the world any harm. That's not to say I condone it, but she doesn't force her beliefs on others, so, what the hey.

Oh, and future reference, it's spelled Christian.

You may know science, but I know God.

Only if he's real. And even then, you only know what you "think" God is like.
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 14:25
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Although it is not the only, nor the first, version—

1. Let no man do to another that which would be repugnant to himself. (Hindu, the Mahabharata, circa 500 BCE)

2. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn. (Rabbi Hillel; circa 60 BCE-20 CE)

3. Do to other ...[text shortened]... me?”

I also think that Jesus' "positive" version is a good counter-balance to the others.
    Interesting!
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 14:42
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    [b]I didn't call you a hypocrite. I said "act" like a hypocrite.

What's the difference?

Nope, I don't say these things to her. She's not the sharpest tool in the box, and isn't doing the world any harm. That's not to say I condone ...[text shortened]... ]

Only if he's real. And even then, you only know what you "think" God is like.[/b]
    If I say,"you are a hypocrite" then I'm labeling you. But if I say "act" then I'm only responding to what you say.

The thing I find unfortunate here in this forum is that we have only words with which to communicate. I can't look you in the eye, or hear the tone of your voice, or read body language. So I try real hard not to sound combative or mean spirited. I think of myself as a reasonable person. I try to be respectful of persons and their beliefs. But I'm not perfect, and I'm not nicer than Jesus either.
    When I respond it is to what you say and not a personal attack.

I want to say this in the kindest way possible. Not suggesting that you or anyone else is somehow inferrior because of it. It is this, I know God, not perfectly, because his spirit indwells me. That doesn't make me better than you or anyone else. It's hard to believe that there is a God. It's even harder to belive that the God of the bible is the one and true God, and that the bible is his word. But I believe it. Not blindly either as some may think.

They say that in order to get a person saved you have to get them lost first. One would think that that would be easy cosidering the human condition. Just look at the world. The earth is beautiful, but the world is in turmoil. Confusion everywhere. But not in my heart. I have a peace that is indescribable. Not an illusion as you may think.

I'm not the judge of any man. I can only judge myself.
  4. London
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 17:23
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    He loves me!
    ... unconditionally!
  5. Gangster Land
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 17:35
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    ... unconditionally!
    Although he WILL send you to hell if you can't force yourself to believe the dubious evidence which "proves" he loves you.

Like any good game show there must be consequence for "picking the wrong door" so to speak.
  6. London
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 19:03
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Although he WILL send you to hell if you can't force yourself to believe the dubious evidence which "proves" he loves you.

Like any good game show there must be consequence for "picking the wrong door" so to speak.
    No, you do that to yourself.
  7. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 19:06
    Originally posted by TheSkipper

Now I understand why you "converted" to atheism. Your interpretation of the teachings of Christ is indeed worth turning away from.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 19:16
    No, you do that to yourself.
    Matt. 10:28
    Luke 12:5
  9. London
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 19:34
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Matt. 10:28
    Luke 12:5
    Read the whole passage (both versions).
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 20:19
    ... unconditionally!
    Even if you're a murderer, rapist, paedophile or are gay.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 21:07
    Read the whole passage (both versions).
    I've already read both of them more times than I can count. I used to be Christian, you know.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Mar '07 09:53
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    He loves me!
    It he really loved you, he would have had you miscarry as a zygote (like most do), then you gain the eternal bliss of Heaven without the annoying pain and suffering of day to day living. Ya got screwed.
  13. London
    Moves
    03 Mar '07 16:56
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Even if you're a murderer, rapist, paedophile or are gay.
    Or a thief, or a liar, or a blasphemer.
  14. London
    Moves
    03 Mar '07 16:58
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I've already read both of them more times than I can count. I used to be Christian, you know.
    Plenty of Christians realise everyday that passages that used to mean one thing to them for a long time actually mean something quite different.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Mar '07 17:03
    Plenty of Christians realise everyday that passages that used to mean one thing to them for a long time actually mean something quite different.
    Secret Decoder Ring alert!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree