1. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 11:58
    Good examples of attempted mind-control and brainwashing by the Watch Tower. In particular, telling people that they cannot read and understand the Bible for themselves is contrary to the most basic of Bible instructions which is to READ THE BIBLE. Nowhere does the Bible say anything about any orgainsation interpreting the Bible for you.

[quote]"If we are to walk in the light of truth we must recognize not only Jehovah God as our Father but his organization as our mother," [Watchtower, May 1, 1957, page 274].

"By word or action, may we never challenge the channel of communication that Jehovah is using today. November 15, 2009 Watchtower, page 13, in paragraph 5 "

"Thus the Bible is an organizational book and belongs to the Christian congregation as an organization, not to individuals, regardless of how sincerely they may believe that they can interpret the Bible," [Watchtower, October 1, 1967, page 587].

"We all need help to understand the Bible, and we cannot find the Scriptural guidance we need outside the 'faithful and discreet slave' organization," [Watchtower, February 15, 1981].

"All who want to understand the Bible should appreciate that the "greatly diversified wisdom of God" can become known only through Jehovah's channel of communication, the faithful and discreet slave," [Watchtower, October 1, 1994, page 8].
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 12:22
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Good examples of attempted mind-control and brainwashing by the Watch Tower. In particular, telling people that they cannot read and understand the Bible for themselves is contrary to the most basic of Bible instructions which is to READ THE BIBLE. Nowhere does the Bible say anything about any orgainsation interpreting the Bible for you.

[quote]"If we are ...[text shortened]... ication, the faithful and discreet slave," [Watchtower, October 1, 1994, page 8].
    There is a similar situation historically in the RCC, where the role of the bishops and priests was seen as having been laid down in Jesus' telling the apostles to go forth and minister to the world. This role of reader and interpreter of the Bible was more easily kept exclusive when the Bible was not available in local tongues and there was no printing press.

I believe they saw justification in Matthew 28:19-20 (NIV)

[emphasis added]

19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 13:47

[quote]"If we are ...[text shortened]... ication, the faithful and discreet slave," [Watchtower, October 1, 1994, page 8].
    Isaiah 54:17......

"Any weapon whatever that will be formed against you will have no success, and any tongue at all that will rise up against you in the judgment you will condemn. This is the hereditary possession of the servants of Jehovah, and their righteousness is from me,” is the utterance of Jehovah."

Condemn all you want as it is expected against God's people. It's always been and always will be as long as Satan is free and alive to influance his earthly ministers as yourself.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 13:49
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Isaiah 54:17......

"Any weapon whatever that will be formed against you will have no success, and any tongue at all that will rise up against you in the judgment you will condemn. This is the hereditary possession of the servants of Jehovah, and their righteousness is from me,” is the utterance of Jehovah."

Condemn all you want as it is expected ...[text shortened]... s will be as long as Satan is free and alive to influance his earthly ministers as yourself.
    I wonder if he has actually read those articles that he has lifted from the hate sites that
    he frequents or like his last attempt it was demonstrated that he hadn't, you would
    think they would learn, but apparently not.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 14:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I wonder if he has actually read those articles that he has lifted from the hate sites that
    he frequents or like his last attempt it was demonstrated that he hadn't, you would
    Hate sites? How come it has to be hate?

I've always found it curious how there are numerous websites for ex JW's given that as a percentage of Christians you are very small minority.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 14:09

Meh, I don't see why you constantly single out the JW's. I find it common for churches in general to want to co-opt some of the Bible's authority for themselves. They want to cleave to a specific interpretation of scripture while denying it is an interpretation at all.

However, none of the WT quotes given say anything about READING the Bible. All they are saying is that you cannot interpret it on your own, without their organization.
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 14:14
    I'm 99% he doesn't but he picks the lines he wants to use but doesn't post the subject matter around those lines that explains those thoughts. Nothing new here...
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 14:15
    Originally posted by JS357
    There is a similar situation historically in the RCC, where the role of the bishops and priests was seen as having been laid down in Jesus' telling the apostles to go forth and minister to the world. This role of reader and interpreter of the Bible was more easily kept exclusive when the Bible was not available in local tongues and there was no printing press. ...[text shortened]... ave commanded [b]you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."[/b]
    Preaching and teaching is one thing. Telling people that they cannot interpret the Bible and they need 'Gods Organisation' to interpret it for them is totally different thing.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 14:18
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Hate sites? How come it has to be hate?

I've always found it curious how there are numerous websites for ex JW's given that as a percentage of Christians you are very small minority.
    because if they were objective they would host some positive stuff about us, but they
    never do. Indeed, we remove on average some 40,000 persons per annum for
    violating Biblical principles many of which become disgruntled (there are cases where
    persons have taken us to court for doing so) and rather than focusing on the reasons
    why they were removed, they attack us.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 14:23
    Preaching and teaching is one thing. Telling people that they cannot interpret the Bible and they need 'Gods Organisation' to interpret it for them is totally different thing.
    The Bible is not open to private interpretation and that is the problem with many like yourself and RJH... You think you have it all right but it can't happen that way, ever.

2 Peter 1:20
    Good News Translation (GNT)

20 Above all else, however, remember that none of us can explain by ourselves a prophecy in the Scriptures.
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 14:48
    because if they were objective they would host some positive stuff about us, but they
    violating Biblical principles many of which become disgruntled (there are cases where
    persons have taken us to court for doing so) and rather than focusing on the reasons
    Interesting that you say all were removed, how many left of their own choice?
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 17:48
    Originally posted by galveston75
    The Bible is not open to private interpretation and that is the problem with many like yourself and RJH... You think you have it all right but it can't happen that way, ever.

20 Above all else, however, remember that none of us can explain by ourselves a prophecy in the Scriptures.
    The Bible is not open to private interpretation and that is the problem with many like yourself and RC ... You think you have it all right but it can't happen that way, ever.

13. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 19:461 edit
    Interesting that you say all were removed, how many left of their own choice?
    dunno, I've only known two people that left of their own accord, they were apostates
    and tried to drag others out with them. I've known many more than were kicked
    because of failing to meet the moral requirements.
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 May '12 08:00
    So because these ex JW's never post anything positive (and you can back that statement up?) and are therefore not objective they are haters?! What curious logic.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 May '12 08:091 edit
    So because these ex JW's never post anything positive (and you can back that statement up?) and are therefore not objective they are haters?! What curious logic.
    can you find anything positive that they say, no? why not? two sides to every story PK
    and the truth somewhere in between, they only ever provide a one sided account.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree