1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 May '13 08:07
    One of the things I rail about in the bible is putting women on a lower plane than men. You all know the bit where in Leviticus it goes, men are worth 50 shekels and a women only 35. The thing about that, besides being sexist, is if you view the rights of women around the world, you find in some countries in Africa, they get genital mutilation so they cannot derive pleasure from sex. Or in China where girl babies are killed AFTER they are born BECAUSE they are girls. You can see how well THAT turned out, now with villages made up of 70% men and REALLY ticked off there are not enough women to go around so now there are these gangs of young men creating hell for China. The point about all that is this is a HUMAN trait.

Countries without religion practice the dehumanization of women. So this behavior does not come from religion. Yet in the Abrahamic religions, it is front and center, spelled out in black and white just what women are worth.

Do you see anywhere in your much vaunted bible any reference to sexism in the animal world? Do you see, say female horses valued any less than males? Perhaps more in this case since the owner of the female horse gets its offspring as well. Not so in the human world.

Your so-called god does not discriminate against horses based on sex. What POSSIBLE rationalization do you have to think this same so-called god would discriminate ONLY against human females.

You see your so-called god pronouncing female chickens as not worth the same as roosters? I would say in this case, at least as far as humans are concerned, female chickens are far more valuable than roosters since they lay eggs.

But why doesn't your so-called god pronounce female chickens as the inferior sex?

And the reason for all that is simple: It was the inclusion of strictly human traits, IE, the cultural bias against female humans ONLY, not female animals, that PROVES this built in bias in the bible was ENTIRELY written by men, just making it APPEAR to be inspired by your so-called alleged god.

A real god would treat humans exactly the same as animals in that regard. Just the same treatment would be given female humans as female chickens.

But HUMAN males culturally exhibit sexism far earlier and far removed geographically than any of the Abrahamic religions so it was there WAY before all those religious books of the bible.

So you answer, why do YOU think you know the mind of god?
    My answer: why do YOU think the mind of your god is represented in your bible?

Me, I think pretty conclusively that a god would treat ALL females exactly the same as males, which humans do for animals that they don't do for themselves.

To find that exact same trait in your bible is a HUGE message, a message of 100% human invention, codifying the sexual bias present way before there was a bible, so it now seems to get the approval of your so-called alleged god.

It is no such thing, it is cultural bias built in to the religion made entirely by men so they ensure they will stay on top throughout eternity.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 May '13 08:583 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    One of the things I rail about in the bible is putting women on a lower plane than men. You all know the bit where in Leviticus it goes, men are worth 50 shekels and a women only 35. The thing about that, besides being sexist, is if you view the rights of women around the world, you find in some countries in Africa, they get genital mutilation so they canno to the religion made entirely by men so they ensure they will stay on top throughout eternity.
    bwahaha, thats your proof,

gold, pure unadulterated comedy gold.

why have you not highlighted Proverbs chapter 31 which extols the virtues of women, ummmm lets see, because it refutes your incessant rants

A wife of noble character who can find?
    She is worth far more than rubies.
    Her husband has full confidence in her
    and lacks nothing of value.
    She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life.
    She selects wool and flax
    and works with eager hands.
    She is like the merchant ships,
    bringing her food from afar.
    She gets up while it is still night;
    she provides food for her family
    and portions for her female servants.
    She considers a field and buys it;
    out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
    She sets about her work vigorously;
    her arms are strong for her tasks.
    She sees that her trading is profitable,
    and her lamp does not go out at night.
    In her hand she holds the distaff
    and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
    She opens her arms to the poor
    and extends her hands to the needy.
    When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
    for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
    She makes coverings for her bed;
    she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
    Her husband is respected at the city gate,
    where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
    She makes linen garments and sells them,
    and supplies the merchants with sashes.
    She is clothed with strength and dignity;
    she can laugh at the days to come.
    She speaks with wisdom,
    and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
    She watches over the affairs of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness.
    Her children arise and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:
    “Many women do noble things,
    but you surpass them all.”
    Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
    Honor her for all that her hands have done,
    and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

NIV
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 May '13 09:02
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ...why have you not highlighted Proverbs chapter 31 which extols the virtues of women, ummmm lets see, because it refutes your incessant rants

So you found a contradiction in the bible.
    Well done.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 May '13 09:045 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    So you found a contradiction in the bible.
    Well done.
    more straw meester strawberry sunday, I find no contradiction. Its easy to understand why, at that particular epoch of time men were valued at 50 shekels and women 35, simply because men could do more physical work, to state that its evidence for lack of inspiration is hilarious. What is more, the OP, due to lack of knowledge or willfull ignorance has created a biased perspective.

Ask him about his support for killing unborn children and you can readily discern that the entire post reeks of hypocrisy.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 May '13 11:041 edit
    more straw meester strawberry sunday, I find no contradiction. Its easy to understand why, at that particular epoch of time men were valued at 50 shekels and women 35, simply because men could do more physical work, to state that its evidence for lack of inspiration is hilarious. What is more, the OP, due to lack of knowledge or willfull ignorance ...[text shortened]... for killing unborn children and you can readily discern that the entire post reeks of hypocrisy.
    You really read my post completely, eh. I talked about the killing of children ALREADY BORN in China, females only, forget the killing of the unborn. Males they let live. I would think in your mind it would be an even MORE atrocious crime than killing the unborn. I pointed that out because it is a human cultural thing. That is exactly why the bible is faked, not worth the ink it was written on because it was not inspired by any god. Did you not even THINK about what I said? Obviously not. You didn't even understand the argument.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 May '13 11:10
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You really read my post completely, eh. I talked about the killing of children ALREADY BORN in China, females only, forget the killing of the unborn. Males they let live. I would think in your mind it would be an even MORE atrocious crime than killing the unborn. I pointed that out because it is a human cultural thing. That is exactly why the bible is faked ...[text shortened]... d you not even THINK about what I said? Obviously not. You didn't even understand the argument.
    oh i read it, both are murder of innocents as far as I am concerned, your arguments are ludicrous, getting more so. The Bible contains many cultural aspects, this proves that its uninspired. Neeeeeext lunatic please.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 May '13 16:181 edit
    oh i read it, both are murder of innocents as far as I am concerned, your arguments are ludicrous, getting more so. The Bible contains many cultural aspects, this proves that its uninspired. Neeeeeext lunatic please.
    Either you take the whole bible as god inspired or if shown a single example of clear non-godly inspiration and the whole stupid edifice falls flat on its bloated stomach. There is no in between. On the one hand you and all other modern christians cherry pick what part of the bible you wish to believe in this decade or the other bunch says EVERY word is god inspired. If every word is god inspired, you tell ME why it would put men on a higher plane than women? Especially since humans for centuries have done that with no religious connotations like in China, and in fact there is no such bias shown against animals. That is strictly a human failing and the fact it is included in the bible clearly shows strictly human writing. You can't have it both ways.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 May '13 00:431 edit
    Interesting how many places in the Bible place women on an equal status with men.

1.) The woman is created in the image of God as well as the man:

Genesis 1:27 "God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

2.) The mature man is to leave "father ... and ... mother" and not just father.

Genesis 2:24: "For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh."

3.) Honor is to be rendered by man to the mother as well as the father.

"Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord your God gives you"

Compare this to Exodus 21:15; Deut. 5:16; 21:18-21; 27:16).

4.) Every one among the Hebrews was to reverence the mother as well as the father.

Leviticus 19:3: "Every one of you shall reverence his mother and his father Compare (20:9) .

5.) Man is instructed to heed the wisdom of his mother as well as the father.

Proverbs 6:20 "My son, observe the commandment of your father and do not forsake the teaching of your mother.

6.) Finding a wife obtains favor from the Lord.

Proverbs 18:22 "He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord."

7.) It disgraceful equally to drive mother away as to assault father.

Proverbs 19:26 "He who assaults his father and drives his mother away is a shameful and disgraceful son."

8.) Man is not to despise old mother the same as an old father.

Proverbs 23:22 "Listen to your father who begot you, and do not despise your mother when she is old."

9.) We are to make mother glad as well as father.

Proverbs 23:25 "Let your father and your mother be glad, and let her rejoice who gave birth to you."

10.) The man belongs to the woman just as the woman belongs to the man in marriage.

Song of Songs 6:3 " I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine." (compare 7:10)

When it comes to Genesis 2:18, where Adam's is called a suitable "helper," we should recall that inferiority is not meant at all. The same word [ezer] is used to describe God Himself elsewhere in Scripture - (Psalm 10:14; 30:10; 54:4).
  9. e4
    Moves
    07 May '13 02:51
    Interesting this bit.

Proverbs 18:22 "He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord."

So did Jesus marry. If not why not?
    By all acounts his Dad would not have objected, infact quite the reverse.

If so why are we not told, (or has that bit been left out).

It's a pity. We have holidays when he was born, we have holidays when
    he was crucified, we could have had holidays on his wedding anniversary.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 May '13 03:011 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Interesting this bit.

It's a pi ...[text shortened]... have holidays when
    Yes, He married. Remember that wedding that He turned water into wine at His mother's request because she had run out of wine for the guests?

The Instructor
  11. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    07 May '13 05:51
    Interesting this bit.
    It's a pity. We hav ...[text shortened]... have holidays when
    Perhaps it would detract from the myth. 😛
  12. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    07 May '13 06:55
    Interesting this bit.

It's a pi ...[text shortened]... have holidays when
    And his divorce anniversary and the birthday of each of his kids. We'd end up with every day with a "y" in it being a holiday. That leaves just christmas eve for work! At last I can see a point for this religion malarkey.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 May '13 08:42
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Perhaps it would detract from the myth. 😛
    It is not uncommon for famous people today to wish to protect the privacy of their family from public scrutiny is it?

http://www.stargazette.com/article/20130415/NEWS01/304150029/Reed-keep-tax-returns-private-protect-family-from-public-scrutiny
  14. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    07 May '13 09:39
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It is not uncommon for famous people today to wish to protect the privacy of their family from public scrutiny is it?

http://www.stargazette.com/article/20130415/NEWS01/304150029/Reed-keep-tax-returns-private-protect-family-from-public-scrutiny
    And Jesus was so famous that no one knew about him at the time. Josephus mentions him as one of many messiahs several years after his death but that just makes him the most memorable out several troublemakers.
  15. e4
    Moves
    07 May '13 10:00
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Yes, He married. Remember that wedding that He turned water into wine at His mother's request because she had run out of wine for the guests?
    I remember that bit.
    He turned water into wine and rocks into bread.

Doubting Thomas said why can't he just put money in the
    kitty like everyone else.

So the writers of the Bible did a bit of tampering and robbed us of a holiday.
    We could have had water & wine parties with rock cakes and a long weekend.
    A markerting opportunity has been lost.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree