1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 May '13 10:11
    Originally posted by sonship
    Interesting how many places in the Bible place women on an equal status with men.

1.) The woman is created in the image of God as well as the man:

[b]Genesis 1:27 "God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

2.) The mature man is to leave "father ... and ... mother" an ...[text shortened]... God Himself elsewhere in Scripture - (Psalm 10:14; 30:10; 54:4). [/b]
    So now we have even more contradictions in the bible. Did you forget about Leviticus? Or is it simply you get to cherry pick what you want to believe and what you don't?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 May '13 10:583 edits
    You are hypcritical I think. It is you who are gleaning through your websites and anti Christian sources and "cherry picking" things to come here and say "Don't forget this one."

I don't believe that you read the Bible through for yourself. I think you gather your material from places like Internet Infidels and probably articles by atheists.

I did not write about all the problem cases which critics like to bring up. I may tackle some of the favorite Levitical examples today latter.

Then again I may not waste time on you particlarly because you'll merely jump around from complaint to complaint until you come around full circle.

I am not going to play wack a mole endlessly with you sonhouse. As I feel compelled I may write something to rescue some unsuspecting reader from your slanders against God. It is really not written for your sake. You'll continue to open your slanderous mouth wide in self deception until the day you go off to your reward. That is unlesss you wise up and repent to be washed of your sins in the blood of Jesus.

I warn you that it is not worth the sick feeling that will arise in your gut, unredeemed, at the moment you realize God and Christ are real.

My next post may be on the ritual laws about purity in Leviticus which some critics like to suggest show biblical inferiority of women.

Why were WOMEN the first witnesses of history's single most important event - the resurrection of Jesus ? The WOMEN were the first witnesses of the risen Jesus. The MEN were home sad and in bed.

In those days WOMEN's testimony did not count in certain court trials. Yet to the embarressment of the men folk God used WOMEN to be the first eyewitnesses of the resurrection of Jesus.

Why would men, who wrote the New Testament, be willing to ADMIT candidly that it was the WOMEN disciples who first saw this all important event ? It is too candid to be fiction.

Historians look for those details which would be difficult for the writers to write. And the admition that WOMEN were the first eyewitnesses to the resurrected Jesus is a detail which argues for the AUTHENTICITY of the account rather than it being false self serving propoganda.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 May '13 11:13
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So now we have even more contradictions in the bible. Did you forget about Leviticus? Or is it simply you get to cherry pick what you want to believe and what you don't?
    As long as you read the Holy Bible with the eyes of unbelief, you will be stuck in unbelief and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth of God.

The Instructor
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 May '13 13:581 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    As long as you read the Holy Bible with the eyes of unbelief, you will be stuck in unbelief and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth of God.

The Instructor
    Ah, so THAT explains all the contradictions in the bible. Good to know that.

So that means you CAN cherry pick what you wish to believe this week, but maybe next week that will all change.

You say if you read it with the eyes of unbelief but which version of that unbelief should you believe in? The nice passages that exemplify women or the one in Leviticus that puts women on a lower plane? Take your pick?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 May '13 14:346 edits

Impurity at Childbirth: Leviticus 12:1-8

This passage, some claim, implies female inferiority: the woman is ceremonially impure for forty days (7 + 33 days) after giving birth to a boy but eighty days (14 + 66 days) after giving birth to girl. Surely this reveals a lower social status for females.

Again, not so fast! Various sensible explanations have been proposed. Some scholars argue that more days for the female actually indicate a kind of protection of females rather than a sign of inferiority. Others suggest the motive may be to reserve Israel's religious distinctiveness over against Canaanite religion, to which females engaged in religious sexual rites in their temples.

In general, a Jewsih mother's lengthier separation from the tabernacle (or temple) after giving birth to a girl make a theological and ethical statement. In ancient Near Eastern polytheism, the strong emphasis was on fertility rites, cult prostitution, and dramatization of the births of gods and goddesses. The distance between the birth event and temple worship - especially with baby girls - was carefully maintained.

Another plausible explanation focuses on a natural source of uncleaness - namely, the flow of blood. Verse 5 refers to the reason: it's because of "the blood of her purification." The mother experiences vaginal bleeding at birth. Yet such vaginal bleeding is common in newborn girls as well, due to the withdrawal of the mother's estrogen when the infant girl exits the mother's womb. So we have two sources pf retual uncleaness with a girl's birth but only one with a boy's.

Notice also that when the time of purification is over, whether "for a son or for a daughter," the mother is to bring the identical offering (whether a lamb, pigeon, or turtledove); this is to be a purification offering (12:6) - not technically a sin offering - and its purpose is to take away the ritual (not moral) impurity.

[Paul Copan, Is God a Moral Monster? Making Sense of the Old Testament God, BakerBooks, pgs. 105,106, (my bold fonting & spacing ) ]
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 May '13 01:215 edits

Your Neighbor's Wife: Exodus 20:17

"You shall no covet" is the tenth comandment. It prohibits longing for what rightfully belongs to another. What's included in this prohibition? A neighbor's house, wife, male or female servant, ox, donkey, and "anything that belongs to your neighbor." Critics complain that a wife is unflatteringly and inappropriately viewed as property - in the same catagory as a neighbor's house, ox, or donkey!

One big problem: just a few commands earlier (Exod. 20:12), children are command to give their mother honor equal to that of the father. A mother was to have equal authority over her children... Another big problem: women in Israel weren't saleable items like houses, oxen, or donkeys. A further revealing fact is that in other cultures in the ancient Near East, the mother was often under the control of the son. Yet the Mosiac law presents a striking contrast in this regard. Leviticus 19:3 commands a son to revere mother and father alike - and the mother is even listed first.

[Paul Copan, Is God a Moral Monster? Making Sense of the Old Testament God, BakerBooks, pg 107 ]
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 May '13 01:57

So that means you CAN cherry pick what you wish to believe this week, but maybe next week that will all change.

You say if you read it with the eyes of unbelief but which version of that unbelief should you believe in? The nice passages that exemplify women or the one in Leviticus that puts women on a lower plane? Take your pick?
    When you cherry pick, you do, in fact, "lean on your own understanding". When you take the verses as part of a greater whole, it begins to make sense. This is why atheists and other 'haters' cherry pick their verses, in order to present an argument on the 'divide and conquer' theory.

I say YOU are the one 'cherry-picking', instead of seeing it as a part of a greater whole. You base 99% of your hate on one verse, which has little to no meaning for gentiles today. If this is not 'cherry-picking', I do not know what is.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 May '13 01:58
    You are hypcritical I think. It is you who are gleaning through your websites and anti Christian sources and "cherry picking" things to come here and say "Don't forget this one."

I don't believe that you read the Bible through for yourself. I think you gather your material from places like Internet Infidels and probably articles by atheists.

I did no ...[text shortened]... or the AUTHENTICITY of the account rather than it being false self serving propoganda.
    I agree with you here 100%.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 May '13 03:36

I was right, wasn't I? You can't understand it because of your unbelief.

The Instructor
  10. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    08 May '13 06:54
    Yes, He married. Remember that wedding that He turned water into wine at His mother's request because she had run out of wine for the guests?

The Instructor
    There is no proof that Jesus married...

Manny
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 May '13 10:44
    MORE ARCHAEOLOGICAL EVIDENCE

The archeological evidence bearing on the New Testament is not so imposing as that bearing on the Old Testament; but, though less spectacular, it is not less important. We have already considered some of the evidence from inscriptions and papyri; we may look at one or two more examples before passing on to evidence of another kind.

The reader of Acts will remember that on Paul's last visit to Jerusalem, a riot arose in the temple because the rumour got around that he had polluted the sacred precincts by taking Gentiles into them.' Gentiles might enter the outer court, which was not really part of the temple buildings proper; but they might not penetrate farther on pain of death.' So anxious were the Roman authorities to conciliate the religious susceptibilities of the Jews that they even sanctioned the execution of Roman citizens for this offense. That none might plead ignorance of the rule, notices in Greek and Latin were fastened to the barricade separating the outer from the inner courts, warning Gentiles that death was the penalty for trespass. One of these Greek inscriptions, found at Jerusalem in 1871 by C. S. Clermont Ganneau, is now housed in Istanbul, and reads as follows:

NO FOREIGNER MAY ENTER WITHIN THE BARRICADE WHICH SURROUNDS THE TEMPLE AND ENCLOSURE. ANYONE WHO IS CAUGHT DOING SO WILL HAVE HIMSELF TO THANK FOR HIS ENSUING DEATH.

When Paul wrote in Ephesians ii. 14 of 'the middle wall of partition' between Jew and Gentile which is broken down in Christ, it has been thought that his metaphor was drawn from this temple barrier, which forbade Gentiles to trespass on ground reserved for Jews alone.
    Continue here...
    http://www.bible.ca/b-new-testament-documents-f-f-bruce-ch8.htm
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 May '13 10:51

I did no ...[text shortened]... or the AUTHENTICITY of the account rather than it being false self serving propoganda.
    I probably read the bible more than you. I went to a Lutheran school for 8 years and we had the bible and catechism read every day. I had the bible forced on me for years so don't tell me about never reading the bible and just getting my bits from the net.

You have yet to come up with a clear rationalization about the contradictions in the bible. If you can't see that you have no business preaching to other people about it. Contradictions exist and there is nothing you can do about that fact.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 May '13 10:561 edit
    One of the things I rail about in the bible is putting women on a lower plane than men. You all know the bit where in Leviticus it goes, men are worth 50 shekels and a women only 35. The thing about that, besides being sexist, is if you view the rights of women around the world, you find in some countries in Africa, they get genital mutilation so they canno to the religion made entirely by men so they ensure they will stay on top throughout eternity.
    "One of the things I rail about in the bible is putting women on a lower plane than men."

One of the things I rail about is how false teachings about what the Word of God means by what it says is so readily believed by those who are so willing to fall for it.

It isn't true what you think the Bible says about women.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 May '13 10:56
    Originally posted by menace71
    There is no proof that Jesus married...

Manny
    There is no proof Jesus did not marry.

The Instructor
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 May '13 10:57
    There is no proof Jesus did not marry.

The Instructor
    Yes there is. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree