1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 May '13 14:11
    I know you believe that and it will next to impossible to change your mind, but "The Church", "The Body of Christ", is not, "The Bride of Christ".

Shall we open another thread and discuss this a little more ?

I'd like to know what you mean.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 May '13 06:47
    Originally posted by sonship
    There is nothing in those verses suggesting anything about warfare. It is just the early jews codifying the superiority of males over females. This did not come from a god. Anyone who thinks it did has holes in their heads.

Okay then you do want to argue it further.

I have already provided you with many passages where the woman was ...[text shortened]... ed yet. There is too much in the Bible debunking your charge of divine sexism.
    You do realize that Leviticus verse begins 'And the lord spoke to Moses''? If that is not coming straight from your alleged god, I don't know what is.

Exactly what do you think Mo and the boys were supposed to think of that statement? There was no qualifier, 'oh, the reason I said that was because men are better at killing in wartime' or some such rot. The words speak for themselves. There is no amount of rationalization that will cover up the true meaning of those words.

To me it is a clear message: The entire bible was written by men to glorify men, codify the supposed superiority of men over women so women would forever be their slaves. BTW, a lot of slave owners loved their slaves. That did not stop them from being slaves. You can find all the verses you want about 'I love you I love you said the little green man' but that will not reverse the long standing religious dogma saying women are worth less than men at the end of the day.

I am telling you this from the bottom of my heart: A real god would NEVER say such a thing.

If we have a bunch of animals, from our point of view, you have 50 horses, 25 male, 25 female. Tell me who would say, those nasty female horses, they are only worth 60 % of those male horses. I don't know, there is just something about a vagina that is so.....Dirty.'

Like SURE, like a loving omniscient god would would EVER say that. If it told that to me, I would tell it, I would rather worship the devil. (assuming there was such a stupid concept as the devil in the first place)
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 May '13 11:12
    You do realize that Leviticus verse begins 'And the lord spoke to Moses''? If that is not coming straight from your alleged god, I don't know what is.

Where did I say otherwise ? A quotation would help.
    What I meant was that while Israel was God's nation that did not mean they were completely exempt from some cultural norms of other cultures.

And the Levitical laws were not the ONLY laws that governed the state. So they had God's word. But they also had some characteristics of typical ancient Near Eastern cultures.

You should notice that in the case of the five daughters of Zelophehad the law was actually amended at the request of five women for greater social justice. And Moses did it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daughters_of_Zelophehad

So this true theocratic nation was better for women. How come Moses didn't resist under the logic that the women should be oppressed ?

Exactly what do you think ...

I think you sorely lack comprehension for the larger picture. ascertain the larger picture.

Israel's consecration to Jehovah is what quaified them to possess the land. When they broke the laws (were slack on their consecration) they also sorely lost battles as in the defeat at Ai.

The Levitical priests proceeded them accross the Jordan River into the land.
    The Ark of the Covenant on the shoulders of the Levitical priests proceeded them in the battle of Jericho.

Much of the military significance is more clearly spelled out in the book of Numbers. However it occurs in Leciticus as well. God brought them OUT of the land of Egypt not just for liberation's sake. He brought them OUT to bring them IN to Canaan. Read the 3rd chapter of the book of Joshua to get the connection between the holiness of the nation as it related to their ability to cross Jordan and conquer the land.

Actually God was after regaining the entire planet, which He will. But only in this initial phase was there the slaughter of extreme judgment in this kind of physical way.

The entering into Canaan was also a judgment upon the nations which then possessed the land. And that judgment could not be carried out apart from consecration to God. Gaining the land would be a fight. And the fight was very much a spiritual warfare.

Notice how the circumcision of a whole new generation had to take place before they could attack (Joshua 5:2-9).

And coming INTO the destination could not be accomplished without consecration to God. So I think you miss the larger picture. This is not atypical of skeptical unbelievers who just regard the Bible as some disjointed scap book of miscellaneous perculiar things about God.

To me it is a clear message: The entire bible was written by men to glorify men, codify the supposed superiority of men over women so women would forever be their slaves.

That is not the "clear message" at all. Where do read in Leviticus about women being forever slaves to the men ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree