1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 15:04
    Why are we suppose to believe that this book is something more than another religious book ? What about it is different from the pack of other Holy Books ? I don't get it. Why has this book been labeled the Word of God ?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 15:57
    Originally posted by buckky
    Why are we suppose to believe that this book is something more than another religious book ? What about it is different from the pack of other Holy Books ? I don't get it. Why has this book been labeled the Word of God ?
    Western religon? Its a big bad old world out there and its safer to travel in packs. Even if you are peddling a bunch of half-truths.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 16:30
    Aren't any of the other Holy Books also called the "Word of God"? Surely that is one of the reasons for calling them "Holy Books" - though not the only possible reason. I am fairly sure the Quran has also been labeled the "Word of God".
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 18:09
    Unlike any of the other so-called holy books, this one collection has withstood the barrages of criticism, the assaults of the ages... without falter, without fail.
  5. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 18:40
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Unlike any of the other so-called holy books, this one collection has withstood the barrages of criticism, the assaults of the ages... without falter, without fail.
    I really doubt that.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 19:58
    Your biblical tunnelvision is laughable.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 08:13
    you are still to justify the genocides in the bible.

me particularly, i prefer the genocides of the bible to mohammed taking a 12 year old girl as wife. and the bible gets much better from the point of jesus entering the plot.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 19:21
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Your biblical tunnelvision is laughable.
    Your ignorance of history is deplorable. I'd say "I guess we're even," but your inability to see beyond your preconceived ideas about the Bible don't just simply make you an idiot, they keep you from seeing truth and therefore, salvation.

My idiocy does not preclude me from the gift of salvation. Which would you rather be afflicted with?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 05:20
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    me particularly, i prefer the genocides of the bible to mohammed taking a 12 year old girl as wife. and the bible gets much better from the point of jesus entering the plot.
    Taking 12 year old girls as wives was quite normal in those days. I am sure that many Biblical figures did something similar even if it is not mentioned in the Bible.
    Is the age of Mohammed's wife mentioned in the Quran?
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 05:23
    In what way has it 'withstood th barrages of criticism'? Do you mean it didn't dissolve into dust? If so then the Quran is its equal. Do you mean that its followers were not convinced by the criticism nor discouraged in their faith? If so then the Quran is its equal.
    Do you mean that you personally feel that the criticism is unwarranted? If so, then why bother commenting as we all know you are a Christian and that for you what makes the Bible unique is that its your Holy Book not somebody elses.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 05:24
    My idiocy does not preclude me from the gift of salvation.
    Thats the catch 22. How would you know?
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 08:12
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Taking 12 year old girls as wives was quite normal in those days. I am sure that many Biblical figures did something similar even if it is not mentioned in the Bible.
    Is the age of Mohammed's wife mentioned in the Quran?
    it is just a manner of how much you can justify the behaviour of savages. from my point of view, the bible gets better in the last chapter.

they both revolve on a central "prophet figure" but jesus is much more likeable.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 08:30
    it is just a manner of how much you can justify the behaviour of savages. from my point of view, the bible gets better in the last chapter.

they both revolve on a central "prophet figure" but jesus is much more likeable.
    Not all spiritual figure are likeable. Jesus and the Dalai Lhama seem very likeable. However a lot of those Zen masters seem like complete pains in the a$$. After all, if transcending our ego is the goal of your spirituality, then our guides are hardly going to seem likeable.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 08:48
    Have you read the last Chapter? It reads to me like the writer was high on something that today would be illegal.

Have you read the Quran, or are you basing your judgement on what you have heard about Mohamed from Christians?
    Surely "The Lord of the Rings" beats both books hands down when it comes to likeable central characters?
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 08:50
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Have you read the last Chapter? It reads to me like the writer was high on something that today would be illegal.

[b]they both revolve on a central "prophet figure" but jesus is much more likeable.

Have you read the Quran, or are you basing your judgement on what you have heard about Mohamed from Christians?
    Surely "The Lord of the Rings" beats both books hands down when it comes to likeable central characters?[/b]
    just from what i heard.

i haven't read the bible either but still i believe jesus is more likeable than mohammed.

i did read lord of the rings and i enjoyed it. what characters from it do you find more interesting or likeable than jesus?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree