1. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 06:39
    Watching the rescue of the first Chilean miners trapped for weeks underground has been not only quite moving for me, but also for many others around the world.
    There are many aspects of such an event that fires up the light in a news cycle often shadowed by tragedy. The warm and joyous bonding of all, the gratitude, the strength and faith, as well as the successful application of hard and skilfull technology. It evokes the memory of another similar time, the safe return of the crippled Apollo 13.
    There no doubt another lesser side to all this as there always is, but right now I am tearfully very happy for them, their families and all those who have achieved their rescue. It all says something else about our species that we sometimes forget.
  2. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 06:41
    Originally posted by Taoman
    Watching the rescue of the first Chilean miners trapped for weeks underground has been not only quite moving for me, but also for many others around the world.
    There are many aspects of such an event that fires up the light in a news cycle often shadowed by tragedy. The warm and joyous bonding of all, the gratitude, the strength and faith, as well as the suc ...[text shortened]... ve achieved their rescue. It all says something else about our species that we sometimes forget.
    AaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaameN!
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 07:06
    Yes, this story hightlights the connection(s) all people have. Its a shame that sometimes we have to go through such dire situations to bring this insight/understanding out ...
  4. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 07:07
    PreCisely
  5. England
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 09:00
    yes but wait for the film/book and the squables about money
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 10:21
    There are many aspects of such an event that fires up the light in a news cycle often shadowed by tragedy. The warm and joyous bonding of all, the gratitude, the strength and faith, as well as the suc ...[text shortened]... ve achieved their rescue. It all says something else about our species that we sometimes forget.
    What does it say about our species that we continually send hapless miners into unsafe environments all the time, only to repeatedly see them blown up or buried alive? Hardly a month goes by without a mining disaster somewhere in the world. With the profit motive held up as our standard of judgment, their sacrifice is deemed to be worth it as long as it sufficiently enriches someone else. On the whole, I'd say our occasional displays of solidarity are eclipsed by our everyday greed and avarice.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 13:52
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Yes, this story hightlights the connection(s) all people have. Its a shame that sometimes we have to go through such dire situations to bring this insight/understanding out ...
    I agree, you nailed it.
    Kelly
  8. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 16:571 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What does it say about our species that we continually send hapless miners into unsafe environments all the time, only to repeatedly see them blown up or buried alive? Hardly a month goes by without a mining disaster somewhere in the world. With the profit motive held up as our standard of judgment, their sacrifice is deemed to be worth it as long as it suf ...[text shortened]... , I'd say our occasional displays of solidarity are eclipsed by our everyday greed and avarice.
    Yours is indeed a quite likely correct assessment of the wider context of the drama.

We may quite reasonably wish and work for the wider context to be safer, and there be less unjust exploitation of the underpaid and undervalued

And there is emotional heartwarming rescues of individual lives that are loved.
    And there is the earnest and deeply felt endeavor by rescuing folk.
    And there is the joy, theirs and ours.

All of this nevertheless, and not an iota less.

By approaching both equally and the same,
    we are able to enter into both equally and the same more completely.

The contradiction of the human warmth of the individuals in the rescue, over against the corrupt and exploitative, heightens both,
    and in heightening both in non-judgmental awareness and openness,
    the path for responding to each mysteriously appears.

As well, such amazing rescues happen very rarely, while the other is, as you indicate, sadly common.
    Let's stuff, for the moment, all that common crap we get everyday.
    Let us at this happiness dance with joy in this full and empty moment!

-
  9. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 19:21
    Yours is indeed a quite likely correct assessment of the wider context of the drama.

We may quite reasonably wish and work for the wider context to be safer, and there be less unjust exploitation of the underpaid and undervalued

And there is emotional heartwarming rescues of individual lives that are loved.
    And there is the earnest and deeply felt e ...[text shortened]... e get everyday.
    Let us at this happiness dance with joy in this full and empty moment!

-
    Amen!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree