1. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    02 Nov '08 17:431 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Indeed, much faith is built on terror of God.
    How is anything in my post terror of God??? Death is part of this life. And it will happen to all of us, including you.
    And bad things happen to all of us whether you believe in God or not. I posted nothing but facts on what can happen and what did happen to some. and used it as a reference.
    If you think me telling you the truth that you will die some day and you most likely won't be able to choose the way is terror of God? You need to face the facts of life.
  2. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '08 18:131 edit
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    [b]And he wasn't setting it up like we're automatically heroes for being atheists. Don't twist his words around. That's dishonest.

He started this whole thread with the title "the bravest acts are atheist". I'm not twisting anything around.
    And then he goes on to stat that atheists who Sacrifice their lives for others, are bigger and braver h ty at risk.[/b]
    These risks are faced by everyone everyday. welcome to life.[/b]
    …I just asked to name one atheist who has laid down their life voluntarily for others,…

Personally I don’t know many famous people which laid down their life voluntarily for others so it is not surprising I cannot name any particular atheist that has -I would be straining to name a theist that has!
    Are you implying here that no atheist has ever laid down their life voluntarily for others? -if so, what is the premise for this believe? If so, how do you know that no atheist has ever laid down their life voluntarily for others without exception?

Can you name just one famous black woman that has had the potential to be a great scientist but wasn’t given the opportunity in life? -if the answer is no, do you conclude that all black women are incapable of being great scientists?

Can you name just one famous person that has diabetes and has had a sex-change? If the answer is no, do you conclude that, out of all those people with diabetes, not a single one had a sex change?
  3. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    02 Nov '08 18:25
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    [b]…he wasn't setting it up like we're automatically heroes for being atheists.. …

I can confirm that.

KingDavid403

Didn’t you read all of my original post? -here is a reminder of the critical bit here of that post:

“…Having said that, I am guessing here that the average atheist would be LESS likely to sacrifice himself for others ...[text shortened]... seem peculiar that I would backtrack and show modesty in the very same post don't you think?[/b]
    Andrew you can try and twist whatever you said around. You stated that any atheist that sacrifices their life for others is a bigger and braver hero than anyone with faith in God. Putting yourself and your atheist views above everyone else of faith.

Except for the fact that most atheists fear death more. Which I'm sure is true.
  4. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '08 18:411 edit
    Andrew you can try and twist whatever you said around. You stated that any atheist that sacrifices their life for others is a bigger and braver hero than anyone with faith in God. Putting yourself and your atheist views above everyone else of faith.

…Andrew you can try and twist whatever you said around. You stated that any atheist that sacrifices their life for others is a bigger and braver hero than ANYONE with faith in God.… (my emphases)

Although I think that is generally correct to say that an atheist that sacrifices his life for others is probably braver (on average) than a theist sacrifices his life for others (for the reason given), I do NOT think that is correct in ALL cases.

Obviously, each case is different.

I never used the words or implied the words “….a bigger and braver hero than ANYONE with faith in God” -the word “ANYONE” is totally wrong to use here -I am just talking averages -every case is different. In any case, I wasn’t referring so much to people that have “faith in God” but, rather, and to be more specific, people that believe in the afterlife (which I presumed are mainly theists but I suppose some could be atheists!!!).
  5. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    02 Nov '08 18:472 edits
    [b]…I just asked to name one atheist who has laid down their life voluntarily for others,…

Personally I don’t know many famous people which laid down their life voluntarily for others so it is not surprising I cannot name any particular atheist that has -I would be straining to name a theist that has!
    Are you implying here that no atheist h ...[text shortened]... do you conclude that, out of all those people with diabetes, not a single one had a sex change?[/b]
    No I'm not saying that at all. I was just asking of one. I'm sure there's several.
    In most combat situations you don't really have much time to think. You either do it or not. As in several professions such as fire fighting, etc
    And either choice could be justified.
  6. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    02 Nov '08 18:571 edit
    [b]…Andrew you can try and twist whatever you said around. You stated that any atheist that sacrifices their life for others is a bigger and braver hero than ANYONE with faith in God.… (my emphases)

Although I think that is generally correct to say that an atheist that sacrifices his life for others is probably braver (on average) than a theis ...[text shortened]... in the afterlife (which I presumed are mainly theists but I suppose some could be atheists!!!).[/b]
    I never used the words or implied the words “….a bigger and braver hero than ANYONE with faith in God”

Andrew, Read the title of your thread, this thread. Then read your first post.
    It very much implies that any atheist who sacrifices their life for others is braver, meaning more heroic, than anyone with faith or belief in God or the after life. You may not quite have meant it that way. But that's what's stated.
  7. Joined
    05 Aug '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '08 20:50

I suppose I must have misunderstood what you were saying in your first post. This here is a rather snide and derogatory way of restating the basic point. I'm not entirely sure why you're bringing up other things that seem unrelated to this point (like "name me an atheist who has done that! except i'm sure there are some who have!"...uh...what's the point of that, then?).

But yes, if I sacrifice my life to save a truckload of babies, kittens, and puppies, believing that sacrifice to be the end of me, then how does not that make me more courageous than you, if you sacrificed your life to save a truckload of babies, kittens, and puppies, since you *know* it won't be the end of you?

To be fair, I do see your point that I think you are trying to make, which is that act of sacrifice--and the feelings that go into that moment...it's not like anyone is necessarily making a rational calculation in a moment like that, for the most part--is just as honorable no matter who does it, and anyone who lays down their life in such a way is deserving of honor and admiration.
  8. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 00:053 edits
    Originally posted by convect
    I suppose I must have misunderstood what you were saying in your first post. This here is a rather snide and derogatory way of restating the basic point. I'm not entirely sure why you're bringing up other things that seem unrelated to this point (like "name me an atheist who has done that! except i'm sure there are some who have!"...uh...what's the point o and anyone who lays down their life in such a way is deserving of honor and admiration.
    But yes, if I sacrifice my life to save a truckload of babies, kittens, and puppies, believing that sacrifice to be the end of me, then how does not that make me more courageous than you, if you sacrificed your life to save a truckload of babies, kittens, and puppies, since you *know* it won't be the end of you?

This is the stupidest statement and thought pattern I've heard yet in my life.

("If I don't believe in God, but I sacrafice my life for others I'm more righteous and brave and courageous, than someone who does believe in God, that does the same thing"?)

Stupidest, self-centered thinking I've heard yet.

Why does a atheist fear death?
    They won't remember anything,
    They go back to nothing, right were they came from, so they think.
    No pain, no anything. What's to fear about that?
    We're all going to die sometime soon. Why not now? The natives always say, "today is as good as day as any to die."

If you sacrifice your life for others to live on, you did a good, selfless courageous act out of love for your fellow man,
    weather atheist or a believer of God.

Not believing in God does not make you anymore heroic in any act possible in this life on earth. Quit trying to think you're above everyone else, Or smarter than everyone else just because your atheist. Your not.

Giving up your life for others, is giving up your life for others.

Don't you think people who believe in God like the life God has given them?? Don't you think they enjoy the love of their family, kids, wife's, etc, ?
    Don't you think we still fear death? pain? suffering? the unknown etc, That usually comes with death?
    Don't you think that we don't want to hurt our loved ones by dying and leaving them?

If you want to sacrifice your life for some puppies or kittens that's your fault. I like kittens and puppies but I'm not giving up my life for them. I will fight for them if their being abused. but I'm not giving up my life for them. I have a cat that I love. And I will defend him if I see someone or something trying to harm him.
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 00:171 edit
    [b]But yes, if I sacrifice my life to save a truckload of babies, kittens, and puppies, believing that sacrifice to be the end of me, then how does not that make me more courageous than you, if you sacrificed your life to save a truckload of babies, kittens, and puppies, since you *know* it won't be the end of you?

This is the stupidest state orce or desire is it that brings you here? You should ask yourself that.[/b]
    Yikes, maybe you should take a chill pill. Then maybe you'll stop distorting the motivations of others in this thread.

I thought there was an interesting thread some time ago on the "dread" of death: Thread 90426
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 00:232 edits
    Originally posted by muppyman
    I can't see any sin perception attached to the act. "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"
    Well, for example, consider if Abraham had told God to buzz off when God told him to sacrifice his son, knowing that it is sinful to disobey a direct order from God, yet valuing his son's life more than his own righteousness.

I believe this satisfies the criteria of bbarr's scenario.
  11. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 00:292 edits
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Yikes, maybe you should take a chill pill. Then maybe you'll stop distorting the motivations of others in this thread.

[b]Why does a atheist fear death?

I thought there was an interesting thread some time ago on the "dread" of death: Thread 90426[/b]
    Then maybe you'll stop distorting the motivations of others in this thread.
    I'm not distorting anything. Their saying that the giving up of ones life for others is a more courageous, braver act for a atheist to do than for a believer of God that does the same act.
    They asked for comments and I gave them. It's very distorted thinking to say the least.
  12. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 01:341 edit
    Originally posted by LemonJello

[b]Why does a atheist fear death?

I thought there was an interesting thread some time ago on the "dread" of death: Thread 90426[/b]
    I thought there was an interesting thread some time ago on the "dread" of death: Thread 90426

It is a interesting thread. And from what I read of it, there was some honest posts in there.
    But truth be told, death is just around the corner for all of us. I just turned 47. And I'm 95% for sure I'll be dead within the next 30 years, and I'm pretty sure it will be way sooner than that with my health issues.

I remember the last 35 years as pretty recently, and it went by fast. And I've seen many friends and family already taken that didn't make it to 47.
    Be aware, Be awake, Be prepared. Know that it is going to happen to you, and all of us. And it could happen tomorrow.
    I'm not trying to invoke fear or terror in anyone. But only speaking the truth.

And I as a christian, I'm sure you know what's next out my mouth.

Get right with God, and live life to the fullest,
    Help others do the same.
    Show love, mercy, and compassion to your fellow man. If anything helps you live longer, it's these things.
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 01:39
    I just turned 47. And I'm 95% for sure I'll be dead within the next 30 years, and I'm pretty sure it will be way sooner than that with my health issues.
    Have you thought about going to Benny Hinn to get healed?
  14. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 01:431 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Have you thought about going to Benny Hinn to get healed?
    lol, No, ol Benny just doesn't cut it for me.
    He does give me some good laughs tho. He's better than most comics I must say.! 🙄
  15. Joined
    05 Aug '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 13:56

They won't remember anything,
    They go back to nothing, right were they came from, so they think.
    No pain, no anything. What's to fear about that?
    We're all going to die sometime soon.
    I think I actually generally agree with you, but it was fun to be a bit ornery (and honestly, you haven't gone about making this point in the clearest way).

Now on this point, yes, after I'm dead, I won't remember anything, and I won't be anything. So it won't matter much to me then.

But now? i don't want it to be over. I like experiencing things--especially pleasurable ones. After I'm dead, it's done. Nothing.

Of course I fear death. Indeed, I fear death much more now than I did when I used to believe in God or afterlife.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree