1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 11:45
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    You know that some people do break psychologically. I would submit that this is a small percentage.

Twice in my life I was close to this point as well.

I've talked about the first time in this forum when I was ready to put a gun in my mouth and finish it. I also spoke about being confronted by angels and being asked to wait one more day. I agreed ...[text shortened]... n we can handle. But sometimes, people do still break under the strain. I cannot explain this.
    I'm genuinely pleased you made it through those difficult times Suzianne.

As you highlight however, some people do break under the strain and (appear at least) to have been given a burden to carry that is beyond their ability to cope. In both my professional and personal life, I have encountered many such people.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 13:15
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    And Matthew 11:28,29

Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
    I know you have recounted some pressures that you and members of your family have had to endure during your time in a cult; did these scriptures help you at those times?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 13:331 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    The bible echoes such a teaching in Corinthians, 'God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.' (I may have overlooked a better one. Indeed, i'm sure I have).

I think "the way of escape" is a specific matter there. It is Christ Himself.

God puts Christ Himself into the one who opens his life to receive Christ. Trials will come. Trials have and always will come. But "the way of escape" there I take to be the Spirit of Christ imparted to the spirit of the believer.

I hear coming then the criticism that that must mean that not all people are given the way of escape. Then I hear coming that God is not fair then. These is the reactions I have learned to expect on this Forum.

"Oh, if God provides a way of escape to the believer in Christ then the rest of us just get crushed? One more reason to not believe in God. Thanks Christian."

Come on get it out of the way then.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 14:50
    Originally posted by @sonship
    The bible echoes such a teaching in Corinthians, 'God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.' (I may have overlooked a better one. Indeed, i'm sure I have).

I think "the way of escape" is a specific matter ther ...[text shortened]... e more reason to not believe in God. Thanks Christian."

Come on get it out of the way then.
    I think you've gone off on a tangent there, trying to head off criticism that wasn't even coming.

Why is this? Because even some 'believers' are crushed by burdens they have been unable to carry. (True story).
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 15:08
    A modified version of the same rubbish criticism.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 15:15
    A modified version of the same rubbish criticism.
    You don't accept 'some 'believers' are crushed by burdens they have been unable to carry?!
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 15:253 edits
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I know you have recounted some pressures that you and members of your family have had to endure during your time in a cult; did these scriptures help you at those times?
    It’s hard to tell whether your question is genuine or whether you are being sarcastic but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. Yes, quite a few of my friends are atheists now as a results on the burdens we had to carry. I believe if I hadn’t turned to the Lord to help me I may have been disillusioned and in the same boat of despondence. I believe we may well be crushed by burdens that we try to carry on our own.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 15:43
    You don't accept 'some 'believers' are crushed by burdens they have been unable to carry?!
    Since you like Buddhism so much. Why not just run with that?
    The suffering is really an illusion.
    The being under burdens is really all an illusion.

You put your faith in the good sounding Buddhism.
    Take comfort in that as your answer.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 16:43
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    It’s hard to tell whether your question is genuine or whether you are being sarcastic but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. Yes, quite a few of my friends are atheists now as a results on the burdens we had to carry. I believe if I hadn’t turned to the Lord to help me I may have been disillusioned and in the same boat of despondence. I believe we may well be crushed by burdens that we try to carry on our own.
    I assure you I was not being sarcastic and was genuinely interested.

You mean friends who were with you in the cult? That is a shame, however the Lord knows those who are his and sometimes we just need a bit of a long leash for a while. Are you still friends with them now?
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 17:191 edit

I'm an atheist, not a Buddhist. You asked for a better version than the Jesus and biblical account you had tendered. In reply, I put forward Buddhism as a better alternative.

I have no 'faith' in either the Christian or Buddhist model. None whatsoever.

Again, 'You don't accept 'some 'believers' are crushed by burdens they have been unable to carry?!'
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 19:29

The idea that you grasp the first thing about Buddhism is an illusion. 🙂

Seriously, at least get a Wiki summary of what it's about before making any claims. You're embarrassing yourself.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 19:59
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    The idea that you grasp the first thing about Buddhism is an illusion. 🙂

Seriously, at least get a Wiki summary of what it's about before making any claims. You're embarrassing yourself.
    I literally cringed when I read his summation of Buddhism. (Last time I did that was when he tried to explain reincarnation).
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 20:181 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I don’t remember you writing about these events, but I could have easily missed it I suppose. Would you care to recite or provide a link so I can read it please?
    Dive, I was trying to not make this thread about me.

I've been accused of doing so before after revealing things about myself. You can understand how I might be a little wary of doing so again, and like I said, I'm not the reason for this thread, and so I went with a rather condensed version this time and how it related to this thread.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 23:27
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Dive, I was trying to not make this thread about me.

I've been accused of doing so before after revealing things about myself. You can understand how I might be a little wary of doing so again, and like I said, I'm not the reason for this thread, and so I went with a rather condensed version this time and how it related to this thread.
    I don't exactly have a problem with recounting the facts, or I wouldn't have done it the first time. I just didn't think this thread was the place to lay out the details again.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Jan '18 02:03
    I understand entirely that you wouldn't want to think of something unbearable as an example, as I was also reluctant to do so in my OP.

To be honest I hoped it wouldn't be necessary and that purely on a human level we would be able to agree that some people in this life (especially when we think about younger people or children) carry burdens of unimaginable weight and suffering.

I'm surprised we don't immediately agree on that.
    I'm a lousy barometer, honestly.
    I've seen people struggle under weights which I consider laughably easy.
    Likewise those whose burdens are (as you alluded to) unimaginable to consider who seemingly breeze through life--- or at least way better than me!
    I do know this.
    If I have thus far been barely substandard at plumbing the depths of my own heart, mind and life, I don't necessarily trust my assessment of other's, regardless of the self-promised objective perspective.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree