1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '18 02:51
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    'Allah does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear.'

(Surah Baqarah – V 286) [...]

I'm left wondering though about the heavy burdens some poor souls carry that seem beyond the capability of any human being. Surely God has given too much to these people to carry?
    Here in Indonesia, where over 85% of the population are Muslims, there's a whole genre of TV drama that specializes in enduring and overcoming burdens with the help of the Abrahamic god figure.

These melodramatic, cliff-hanger-strewn, kitchen sink drama series air in the month of Ramadan and culminate during the Idul Fitri celebrations. Every TV channel certainly has one of them (if not more). All the country's most famous actors and actresses are involved in them, they are heavily promoted, and attract large audiences.

They are also unapologetically formulaic; the plot is always about a character or characters plumbing very recognizable depths of despair - married couples in conflict, children off the rails, reputations in tatters, insurmountable grief, separation from family, riches to rags and so on and so forth. Pivotal scenes in these inspirational dramas invariably depict people praying for strength and guidence.

Because the subtext always is this: 'Allah does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear because Allah is always there to help his faithful believers bear any burden and thus prevail.'
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Jan '18 09:07
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Here in Indonesia, where over 85% of the population are Muslims, there's a whole genre of TV drama that specializes in enduring and overcoming burdens with the help of the Abrahamic god figure.

These melodramatic, cliff-hanger-strewn, kitchen sink drama series air in the month of Ramadan and culminate during the Idul Fitri celebrations. Every TV channel cer ...[text shortened]... because Allah is always there to help his faithful believers bear any burden and thus prevail.'
    Interesting.

(I always forget you're in Indonesia. In my head you reside somewhere south of Bristol).
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '18 09:11
    Interesting.

(I always forget you're in Indonesia. In my head you reside somewhere south of Bristol).
    Stuff like 'somewhere south of Bristol' proved to be a burden I could not carry, and so I decamped to a series of varied elsewheres.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Jan '18 09:17
    Stuff like 'somewhere south of Bristol' proved to be a burden I could not carry, and so I decamped to a series of varied elsewheres.
    Had you remained south of Bristol you wouldn't have been burdened by having words like 'decamped' in your vocabulary.
  5. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    16 Jan '18 14:54
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    I don't exactly have a problem with recounting the facts, or I wouldn't have done it the first time. I just didn't think this thread was the place to lay out the details again.
    What did the angels look like?
    I remember you saying you had seen angels before and was surprised that no one asked how they look.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 03:211 edit
    Originally posted by @biffo-konker
    What did the angels look like?
    I remember you saying you had seen angels before and was surprised that no one asked how they look.
    They looked human, like you or me, only they were wearing robes and they were barefooted. They did not appear translucent, or in any way insubstantial. One moment they were not there and the next moment they were. They left the same way. And no, they did not have wings. They did have a glow in their faces, as one might expect of a being who has stood in the presence of God.

Thank you for asking.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 03:292 edits
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I assure you I was not being sarcastic and was genuinely interested.

You mean friends who were with you in the cult? That is a shame, however the Lord knows those who are his and sometimes we just need a bit of a long leash for a while. Are you still friends with them now?
    Yes and yes. (If a facebook friend counts as a friend)
  8. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 18:29
    They looked human, like you or me, only they were wearing robes and they were barefooted. They did not appear translucent, or in any way insubstantial. One moment they were not there and the next moment they were. They left the same way. And no, they did not have wings. They did have a glow in their faces, as one might expect of a being who has stood in the presence of God.

Thank you for asking.
    Thanks.I still wonder why the religious people here do not seem to be interested.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 20:51

Thank you for asking.
    Do you think an angel ever appeared to a non-believer?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 23:571 edit
    There are plenty of former non-believers (non-Christians) around the world who became Christians because they believe angels (or indeed Jesus or Mary) appeared to them. I have known several and one is a good friend to this day.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 02:37
    Now, just to be clear, and just for this conversation, do you mean a non-believer in God, or a non-believer in Jesus as their Savior, the Son of God?

I was going to guess maybe the shepherds watching their flocks by night in Luke 2 when the angel appeared to them to tell of the birth of the Savior, but if you mean a non-believer in God, then I'm just not sure. I suppose it could happen and one supposes it to be rare enough that it would stand out in scripture. The only instance off the top of my head might be in Sodom when Lot and the angels went there to look for righteous men. Granted, no one knew they were angels, though.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 02:48
    There are plenty of former non-believers (non-Christians) around the world who became Christians because they believe angels (or indeed Jesus or Mary) appeared to them. I have known several and one is a good friend to this day.
    I wonder if it was an atheist who thumbed down the post above.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Jan '18 06:23
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Yours is an amazing testimony. I have heard many like it. I think our burdens only become bearable if we allow Him to carry them.
    No.
    We allow our selves to dissolve burdens, to forgive ourselves.

We are God. You are God and I am God. Search your feelings on this one dude.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Jan '18 11:03
    Originally posted by @freakykbh
    Sorry: I really can't.
    Do you want to think of a few for me?
    Why on God's green earth would I want to think of something unbearable?
    Are you not feeling well?
    Do you ever empathise with the suffering of others?
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Jan '18 02:29
    I wonder if it was an atheist who thumbed down the post above.
    lol

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree