1. London
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 12:36
    Given how the Catholic Church and the Pope seem to get blamed for condemning millions to death by AIDS in Africa because of its/his opposition to condom use, I decided to do a simple piece of analysis.

I took the Adult Rate of AIDS by country from this website

http://www.avert.org/subaadults.htm

and looked at the statistical correlation with % Catholics from this site

http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/country/sc1.html

The correlation came out at a statistically insignificant -3% (easily done using Excel - you're free to check for yourself). Prima facie, I would have to conclude that the whole blaming of the Church thing is really unfounded.

I would love to know your views on this. If there's any way you think I can improve my analysis, I would love to know that as well. If anyone has statistics that indicate otherwise, this would be a good thread to post it in.

I remember reading somewhere (I'll look up the link once I get home - if someone knows where, could you post it here?) that the correlation was more significantly negative once one added the Anglican/Episcopelian communities as well.
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 12:441 edit
    EDIT: Ignore this
  3. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 12:45
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I couldn't get in to the Catholic-hierarchy site.
    me neither.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 12:48
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Given how the Catholic Church and the Pope seem to get blamed for condemning millions to death by AIDS in Africa because of its/his opposition to condom use, I decided to do a simple piece of analysis.

and looked at the statistical correlation with ...[text shortened]... on was more significantly negative once one added the Anglican/Episcopelian communities as well.
    Could you elaborate on what correlation you did, or could I have a copy of the spreadsheet?
  5. London
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 13:02
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Could you elaborate on what correlation you did, or could I have a copy of the spreadsheet?
    A simple correlation between % Adult patients by country vs. % Catholics by country. PM me your email add and I'll be happy to send the spreadsheet across.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 13:482 edits
    I thought that it was the sin of the Africans that caused the AIDS pandemic? 🙄
  7. London
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 18:10
    *bump*
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 18:18

and looked at the statistical correlation with ...[text shortened]... on was more significantly negative once one added the Anglican/Episcopelian communities as well.
    Since I don't think hardly anyone pays any attention to the Church's position on condom use (certainly not fornicators to use their word), it would be unsurprising if there was no statistical correlation between number of Catholics and AIDS cases in a given country. The fact that everybody ignores such a supposedly infallible doctrine of the faith ( "a grave sin"😉 shows the utter foolishness and anarchronistic nature of the present Church when they stray from the teachings of Jesus into such non-religious matters.
  9. London
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 19:02
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Since I don't think hardly anyone pays any attention to the Church's position on condom use (certainly not fornicators to use their word), it would be unsurprising if there was no statistical correlation between number of Catholics and AIDS cases in a given country. The fact that everybody ignores such a supposedly infallible doctrine of the fa ...[text shortened]... the present Church when they stray from the teachings of Jesus into such non-religious matters.
    Are we agreed then that statements such as "John Paul II's resolute opposition to Africans protecting themselves against HIV infection by putting rubber sheaths on their private parts has put millions at risk on the continent" (McDonald, H. A pope, but certainly no saint. Guardian. April 17, 2005) constitute unfair criticism of the Pope?
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 20:15
    Are we agreed then that statements such as "John Paul II's resolute opposition to Africans protecting themselves against HIV infection by putting rubber sheaths on their private parts has put millions at risk on the continent" (McDonald, H. A pope, but certainly no saint. Guardian. April 17, 2005) constitute unfair criticism of the Pope?
    I would agree with the sentence up to "has put millions at risk on the continent" which is hyperbole. I do not think its "unfair" criticism but it is an exaggerrated claim for the reason nobody takes the Pope's position seriously on condom use anyway. If people actually took the claim seriously it would endanger lives, particulary those of spouses who are unaware that their spouses were having extramaritial affairs (the Church, of course, opposes adultery but the innocent spouse would still be at risk).
  11. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 23:15
    *bump*
    Oh, if you insist. I'll put the 'Team America' song up.

Everyone has AIDS!
    AIDS AIDS AIDS!
    AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS!
    Everyone has AIDS!

And so this is the end of our story
    And everyone is dead from AIDS
    It took from me my best friend
    My only true pal
    My only bright star (he died of AIDS)

Well I'm gonna march on Washington
    Lead the fight and charge the brigades
    There's a hero inside of all of us
    I'll make them see everyone has AIDS

My father (AIDS!)
    My sister (AIDS!)
    My uncle and my cousin and her best friend (AIDS AIDS AIDS!)
    The gays and the straights
    And the white and the spades

Everyone has AIDS!
    My grandma and my dog 'ol blue (AIDS AIDS AIDS)
    The pope has got it and so do you (AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS)
    C'mon everybody we got quilting to do (AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS)
    We gotta break down these baricades, everyone has

AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS!
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 00:36
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    Oh, if you insist. I'll put the 'Team America' song up.

Everyone has AIDS!
    AIDS AIDS AIDS!
    AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS!
    Everyone has AIDS!

And so this is the end of our story
    And everyone is dead from AIDS
    It took from me my best friend
    My only true pal
    My only bright star (he died of AIDS)

Well I'm gonna march on Washington
    Lead ...[text shortened]... AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS!

Becoming cynical Omnislash ? ...... I hope not.
  13. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 00:49
    Originally posted by darvlay
    No silly, everyone knows the sins turned their skin black.
  14. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 00:51
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

Becoming cynical Omnislash ? ...... I hope not.
    Main Entry: cyn·i·cal
    Pronunciation: 'si-ni-k&l
    Function: adjective
    1 : CAPTIOUS, PEEVISH
    2 : having or showing the attitude or temper of a cynic : as a : contemptuously distrustful of human nature and motives <those cynical men who say that democracy cannot be honest and efficient -- F. D. Roosevelt> b : based on or reflecting a belief that human conduct is motivated primarily by self-interest <a cynical ploy to cheat customers>

Main Entry: 1joke
    Pronunciation: 'jOk
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Latin jocus; perhaps akin to Old High German gehan to say, Sanskrit yAcati he asks
    1 a : something said or done to provoke laughter; especially : a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist b (1) : the humorous or ridiculous element in something (2) : an instance of jesting : KIDDING <can't take a joke> c : PRACTICAL JOKE d : LAUGHINGSTOCK
    2 : something not to be taken seriously : a trifling matter <consider his skiing a joke -- Harold Callender> -- often used in negative construction <it is no joke to be lost in the desert>
  15. Standard memberchancremechanic
    Islamofascists Suck!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 02:04
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Sin and ignorance.....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree