The Catholic Church and AIDS in Africa

The Catholic Church and AIDS in Africa

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
20 Apr 05

Originally posted by chancremechanic
Sin and ignorance.....
Then you should be extra thankful you weren't born in Africa!

c
Islamofascists Suck!

Macon, Georgia, CSA

Moves
20 Apr 05

Originally posted by telerion
Then you should be extra thankful you weren't born in Africa!
I am thankful...what's your point? I simply pointed out a fact....I sowed my wild oats with unprotected sex in the 80s and consider myself lucky not to have contracted anything worse than a yeast infection...if I were living in Africa, or the US for that matter, and AIDS was as rampant as they are in South Africa, I believe I'd keep my trouser trout locked away only to be "let out" on special occasions (such as with a woman that I knew to be HIV-free)....the Africans, through ignorance or just plain stupidity, or lack of concern, are humping everything that moves or letting themselves be humped....sorry to be blunt, but sometimes the truth hurts...

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Apr 05

This problem of the spreading of the HIV virus is closely linked to underdevelopment. The only true and permanent solution to the HIV problem is the changing of people's sexual habits. Giving them condoms and telling them that they are protected 100% is a lie and we in the West know this. Condoms do NOT give 100% protection against the HIV virus. We have to tell the people in the third world, and everywehere else for that matter, the bitter truth. They have been deceived too many times by the Western countries. Telling them lies about the supposed 100% protection condoms give is in my view another crime that can be added to the long list of crimes the Western countries have committed against the Third World.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Apr 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe

This problem of the spreading of the HIV virus is closely linked to underdevelopment. The only true and permanent solution to the HIV problem is the changing of people's sexual habits. Giving them condoms and telling them that they are protected 100% is a lie and we in the West know this. Condoms do NOT give 100% protection against the HIV virus. We have ...[text shortened]... dded to the long list of crimes the Western countries have committed against the Third World.
Speaking of telling lies, I'm sure that nobody is proposing we tell anybody that condoms give "100% protection" against anything. You are setting up a strawman to argue against. The truth is that condoms give a considerable degree of protection against the transmission of the HIV virus. As far as I know, no medical measures are 100% effective against anything; but we don't say to people don't bother to get vaccinated against polio or other diseases because the vaccination isn't "100% protection".

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Apr 05
1 edit

Originally posted by no1marauder
Speaking of telling lies, I'm sure that nobody is proposing we tell anybody that condoms give "100% protection" against anything. You are setting up a strawman to argue against. The truth is that condoms give a considerabl ...[text shortened]... ther diseases because the vaccination isn't "100% protection".
We are giving the impression to people in the third world, also to young people in developed countries such as the US and Europe, that condoms give a 100% protection against the HIV virus.

I wouldn't be surprised if the condom producing companies will be sued in the future by HIV victims for misleading them and the public.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
20 Apr 05

This problem of the spreading of the HIV virus is closely linked to underdevelopment. The only true and permanent solution to the HIV problem is the changing of people's sexual habits. Giving them condoms and telling them that they are protected 100% is a lie and we in the West know this. Condoms do NOT give 100% protection against the HIV virus. We have ...[text shortened]... dded to the long list of crimes the Western countries have committed against the Third World.
Using condoms aint 100% effective in preventing pregnancy either, so why is the church 100% against it , since it still gives God a chance to inject a soul into the fertilized egg., if he so chooses that is.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Apr 05
1 edit

We are giving the impression to people in the third world, also to young people in developed countries such as the US and Europe, that condoms give a 100% protection against the HIV virus.

I wouldn't be surprised if the condom produci ...[text shortened]... d in the future by HIV victims for misleading them and the public.
Ivanhoe: We are giving the impression to people in the third world, also to young people in developed countries such as the US and Europe, that condoms give a 100% protection against the HIV virus.

No, "we" are not. The Food and Drug adminstration has a little on-line brochure on the subject at http://www.fda.gov/oashi/aids/condom.html#life.

It wouldn't surprise me if some right-wing, fundamentalist law group found some unfortunates who got AIDS from a condom breaking and sued a condom producer for political reasons either. As condom producers, to my knowledge, have never claimed "100% protection" but merely that condoms reduce the risk of STDs (which the government concedes) such a law suit would be meritless in my view.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Apr 05
1 edit

Ivanhoe: We are giving the impression to people in the third world, also to young people in developed countries such as the US and Europe, that condoms give a 100% protection against the HIV virus.

No, "we" are not. The Fo ...[text shortened]... concedes) such a law suit would be meritless in my view.

"Will a condom guarantee I won't get a sexually transmitted disease?

No. There's no absolute guarantee even when you use a condom. But most experts believe that the risk of getting AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases can be greatly reduced if a condom is used properly.

In other words, sex with condoms isn't totally "safe sex," but it is "less risky" sex."

http://www.fda.gov/oashi/aids/condom.html#guar

Absolutely true ..... now let's hope that all the illiterate people in Africa and elsewhere have computers and can read English.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Apr 05

No, "we" are not. The Food and Drug adminstration has a little on-line brochure on the subject at http://www.fda.gov/oashi/aids/condom.html#life ...[text shortened]... of STDs (which the government concedes) such a law suit would be meritless in my view.

Let me ask you No1, what is meant when people, the experts, talk about "safe sex" ?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Apr 05

"Will a condom guarantee I won't get a sexually transmitted disease?

No. There's no absolute guarantee even when you use a condom. But most experts believe that the risk of getting AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases can be greatly reduced if a condom is used properly.

In other words, sex with condoms isn't totally "safe sex," but it is ...[text shortened]... t all the illiterate people in Africa and elsewhere have computers and can read English.

Please show some proof that condom maker or some other "we" are claiming that condoms are "100% protection" against AIDS. Unless you can verify that accusation, your argument is bogus.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
20 Apr 05

Let me ask you No1, what is meant when people, the experts, talk about "safe sex" ?
I always hear experts referring to "safer sex", not "safe sex", actually.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Apr 05
1 edit

Please show some proof that condom maker or some other "we" are claiming that condoms are "100% protection" against AIDS. Unless you can verify that accusation, your argument is bogus.
"We" no1, are giving the IMPRESSION. A proof of that is that "we", including the "experts" speak of "safe sex". The proof of that will be found if you google on "Safe sex" and check out the number of hits you'll get.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Apr 05

Please cite a health expert who uses the term "safe sex".

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Apr 05

"We" no1, are giving the IMPRESSION. A proof of that is that "we", including the "experts" speak of "safe sex". The proof of that will be found if you google on "Safe sex" and check out the number of hits you'll get.

To use the number of Google hits as "proof" of an argument is so logically fallacious and absurd that it doesn't dignify a response. Please cite a health expert who uses the term "safe sex".

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
20 Apr 05

LOL.

"We", including these same "experts" apparently also speak of Metallica, Honda Civics, Al Franken, french fries...