1. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Joined
    14 May '05
    Moves
    4174
    30 Jun '05 15:28
    Originally posted by catfoodtim
    i know this subject is old hat but after reading this article:

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,2763,1518316,00.html

    in the guardian today i am interested in how catholics feel about child abuse by priests and the church's subsequent response over the years.


    when i first moved to dublin i was incensed to hear an open letter from the ...[text shortened]... sing my soul by refusing to attend church services because of sins perpetrated by its spokesmen?
    these men are answerable to God. what i cant get my head round is that there are so many cases!! Do they take up this job so they can get close to those that are vulnerable??
    If they believed what they taught then how do they think theyre going to dodge hell?
  2. Cosmos
    Joined
    21 Jan '04
    Moves
    11184
    01 Jul '05 22:29
    The Catholic church promotes the unnecessary spread of painful and deadly sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS by banning the use of contraceptives.

    The Catholic church makes couples suffer by forcing them to have unwanted children (denying abortion).

    The Catholic church victimises homosexuals by labelling them freaks, going against God's will.

    The Catholic church has for centuries treated females like second class citizens by denying them the right to reach positions of power within its organisation.

    Why should the Catholic church deprive the children of suffering?
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Joined
    13 Dec '04
    Moves
    49088
    01 Jul '05 22:34
    Originally posted by howardgee
    The Catholic church promotes the unnecessary spread of painful and deadly sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS by banning the use of contraceptives.

    The Catholic church makes couples suffer by forcing them to have unwanted children (denying abortion).

    The Catholic church victimises homosexuals by labelling them freaks, going against God's will ...[text shortened]... ithin its organisation.

    Why should the Catholic church deprive the children of suffering?
    Don't leave the persecution of scientists out of this litany.
  4. R.I.P.
    Joined
    21 Dec '01
    Moves
    8578
    01 Jul '05 22:47
    To be fair I don't think that you can just say this about the catholic church, there is plenty of abuse going in other christian organisations, other religions & various cults. In fact any position of authority will be attractive to these sort of people.
  5. Cosmos
    Joined
    21 Jan '04
    Moves
    11184
    01 Jul '05 23:17
    Originally posted by Jay Peatea
    To be fair I don't think that you can just say this about the catholic church, there is plenty of abuse going in other christian organisations, other religions & various cults. In fact any position of authority will be attractive to these sort of people.
    Yes, you are right:

    ALL religions are very nasty, persecutory institutions, causing endless suffering to believers and non-believers alike.
  6. London
    Joined
    02 Mar '04
    Moves
    36061
    03 Jul '05 01:06
    Originally posted by catfoodtim
    i know this subject is old hat but after reading this article:

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,2763,1518316,00.html

    in the guardian today i am interested in how catholics feel about child abuse by priests and the church's subsequent response over the years.


    Catholics feel the same way about child abuse as any average person - sick.

    The Church's subsequent response has not been praiseworthy over the years, but it has been working hard to ameliorate the situation over the past few.

    when i first moved to dublin i was incensed to hear an open letter from the bishop of dublin advising the press to "get in perspective" the actual number of abusive priests in the church. i wonder how many of their victims can get something like this in perspective?

    It's one thing for the media to publicise news of crimes that happen within the community. Quite another to use that publicity to further an agenda against an organisation.

    to me this was an abhorrent and insensitive statement for a church leader to make and i vowed never to set foot in a catholic church again.

    May I ask what made you join the Church (if you are Catholic) in the first place?

    so would you catholics think i am jeapardising my soul by refusing to attend church services because of sins perpetrated by its spokesmen?

    Quite simply - yes.
  7. Standard memberchancremechanic
    Islamofascists Suck!
    Account suspended
    Joined
    17 Feb '02
    Moves
    32132
    03 Jul '05 22:43
    Originally posted by howardgee
    Yes, you are right:

    ALL religions are very nasty, persecutory institutions, causing endless suffering to believers and non-believers alike.
    Not all Churches cause suffering for their parishners...I am a member of the Church of Christ where Christ's teachings and way of living are taught, but the truth about homosexuality is also taught according to the Bible; however, we are not taught to hate gays but to love them as humans despite the sin of homosexuality...love the sinner-not the sin.
  8. Cosmos
    Joined
    21 Jan '04
    Moves
    11184
    04 Jul '05 01:20
    Originally posted by chancremechanic
    Not all Churches cause suffering for their parishners...I am a member of the Church of Christ where Christ's teachings and way of living are taught, but the truth about homosexuality is also taught according to the Bible; however, we are not taught to hate gays but to love them as humans despite the sin of homosexuality...love the sinner-not the sin.
    How very magnanimous of your church to see gays as sinners without actually harming them! (Sarcastic LOL).

    Homosexuality is a naturally occurring phenomena in the animal kingdom in general (Which God created According to you lot!).

    It is not morally wrong. No innocent person gets hurt (except a few bottoms perhaps!)

    At the very least your church labels homosexuals as sinners, when they are law abiding members of society.
  9. Standard memberchancremechanic
    Islamofascists Suck!
    Account suspended
    Joined
    17 Feb '02
    Moves
    32132
    04 Jul '05 06:01
    Originally posted by howardgee
    How very magnanimous of your church to see gays as sinners without actually harming them! (Sarcastic LOL).

    Homosexuality is a naturally occurring phenomena in the animal kingdom in general (Which God created According to you lot!).

    It is not morally wrong. No innocent person gets hurt (except a few bottoms perhaps!)

    At the very least your church labels homosexuals as sinners, when they are law abiding members of society.
    There is no room for debate here because your head is on bass-ackwards in terms of what you believe in or don't believe in....male animals humping in the wild is instinctual or due to frustration and connot be compared to human males buggering each other as they have a conscience and know right from wrong. There is NO biological reason for two human males, or females for that matter, to mate with each other as they cannot reproduce, which is the real reason we are here on earth in the first place, right Mr. evolution?

    I, as well as you, are a sinner and law-abiding citizen-hopefully in your case-so what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
  10. Copenhagen
    Joined
    31 May '04
    Moves
    6955
    04 Jul '05 08:54
    Originally posted by chancremechanic
    There is no room for debate here because your head is on bass-ackwards in terms of what you believe in or don't believe in....male animals humping in the wild is instinctual or due to frustration and connot be compared to human males buggering each other as they have a conscience and know right from wrong. There is NO biological reason for two huma ...[text shortened]... ding citizen-hopefully in your case-so what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
    Once again a creationist fail to accept the scientific facts, oh well, nothing new here:
    http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB403.html
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    25076
    04 Jul '05 10:19
    Originally posted by chancremechanic
    There is no room for debate here because your head is on bass-ackwards in terms of what you believe in or don't believe in....male animals humping in the wild is instinctual or due to frustration and connot be compared to human males buggering each other as they have a conscience and know right from wrong. There is NO biological reason for two huma ...[text shortened]... ding citizen-hopefully in your case-so what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
    Dear chancremechanic,

    Everytime you open your mouth bigotry comes streaming out. Please stop.

    Sincerly,
    Everyone.
  12. Standard memberchancremechanic
    Islamofascists Suck!
    Account suspended
    Joined
    17 Feb '02
    Moves
    32132
    04 Jul '05 18:172 edits
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Dear chancremechanic,

    Everytime you open your mouth bigotry comes streaming out. Please stop.

    Sincerly,
    Everyone.
    You don't even know the meaning of bigotry....
  13. Standard memberchancremechanic
    Islamofascists Suck!
    Account suspended
    Joined
    17 Feb '02
    Moves
    32132
    04 Jul '05 18:501 edit
    Originally posted by catfoodtim
    i cant think of any biological reason for bigots such as yourself to mate but the church doesnt label you a sinner does it?

    jesus wept.
    Yeah, the Church, or shall I say God, says that I am a sinner as you yourself and everybody on earth is. It's a Biblical fact, but since you don't seem to accept God's word, I can't convince you. How am I a bigot by simply stating a Biblical fact. If I said I hated gays simply for being gay, then I could see where you were coming from, but I didin't say I hated gays, only that their lifestyle was against God...and that makes me a bigot? That's like me calling you a bigot because you don't like the color "red", or you don't believe the world is round...everytime we conservatives state our beliefs or philosophies and it doesn't mesh, you God-less people label us "bigots"...well, I guess I could say the same about you...you are a bigot because you don't believe that the Bible says homosexuality is wrong...but I won't stoop to your elementary level....have a nice day...😉
  14. Cosmos
    Joined
    21 Jan '04
    Moves
    11184
    04 Jul '05 23:09
    Originally posted by chancremechanic
    Yeah, the Church, or shall I say God, says that I am a sinner as you yourself and everybody on earth is. It's a Biblical fact, but since you don't seem to accept God's word, I can't convince you. How am I a bigot by simply stating a Biblical fact. If I said I hated gays simply for being gay, then I could see where you were coming from, but I d ...[text shortened]... ays homosexuality is wrong...but I won't stoop to your elementary level....have a nice day...😉
    The problem is you conservatives don't have a philosophy:

    You just believe everything which is spoon fed to you. (From the media, the book of lies - aka the bible, etc)

    This is why you are so full of it, and are incapable of having a rational, reasonable debate.

    You have not learnt to philosophise!
  15. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    25076
    05 Jul '05 02:09
    Originally posted by chancremechanic
    Yeah, the Church, or shall I say God, says that I am a sinner as you yourself and everybody on earth is. It's a Biblical fact, but since you don't seem to accept God's word, I can't convince you. How am I a bigot by simply stating a Biblical fact. If I said I hated gays simply for being gay, then I could see where you were coming from, but I d ...[text shortened]... ays homosexuality is wrong...but I won't stoop to your elementary level....have a nice day...😉
    Which bible verse do you base your hatred on?
Back to Top