1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 03:133 edits
    A recent outburst by a religionist, lashing out awkwardly at me, a non-believer, for referencing his torturer god ideology in a comment to another poster:

Isn't it torture enough to live a life of such enmity and anger against God and Jesus Christ ? The darkness and emptiness in the heart! ... the not knowing God's love, God's fellowship, not knowing what your human life is?? I'd think he'd find it torture enough to adopt your mind and heart.

I know from personal experience how positive and fulfilling living with religious faith can feel but back in those days it would never have occurred to me to lash out at a non-Christian with words - or even the ideas - expressed above.

My faith never took me anywhere near the emotional desperation and the uncomprehending vitriol contained in those words. And my faith never caused me to seek to reduce the humanity of people with different beliefs in such a way.

Religious faith can be such an empowering thing, and it gives many people a sense of purpose as well as a mostly philanthropic prism through which to view themselves and the world ... and their fellow human beings.

But if it is something that is merely fending off the supposed "darkness and emptiness in the heart" without which one feels one cannot "know what one's human life is", is it such a healthy thing after all?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 03:472 edits
    Originally posted by @fmf
    A recent outburst by a religionist, lashing out awkwardly at me, a non-believer, for referencing his torturer god ideology in a comment to another poster:

[b]Isn't it torture enough to live a life of such enmity and anger against God and Jesus Christ ? The darkness and emptiness in the heart! ... the not knowing God's love, God's fellowship, not knowing what ...[text shortened]... hich one feels one cannot "know what one's human life is", is it such a healthy thing after all?
    In my 10 years posting here on this website I have come to know a different kind of Christian to the ones I’ve met over the past 30 or so years. Some seem to have a mindset that is misanthropic, that is darkly idealistic and almost fascist like in its exclusion of any conflicting ideas or opinions. This notion that someone can only be happy, fulfilled and spiritually growing if they share my thought stream, share my believe structure is as fascinating as it is revolting.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 13:185 edits

[b]Isn't it torture enough to live a life of such enmity and anger against God and Jesus Christ ? The darkness and emptiness in the heart! ... the not knowing God's love, God's fellowship, not knowing what ...[text shortened]... hich one feels one cannot "know what one's human life is", is it such a healthy thing after all?
    Very good St. Glass Jaw.

Of course you can for years attack Christians in hundreds of ways subtle and rude. That's of course all just normal discussion.

But if some pointed talk comes back your way ??
    I could take hours to collect all the crappy things you said to and about me. But its a waste of my time.

Howl about awkward lashing out to get as much sympathy as you can. But you've always been here on the offensive at Spirituality, especially against lovers of Jesus Christ.

So Charlie Brown - "Why's everybody always picking on me?" rings hollow.

I''ll tell you what. You're certainly a reasonably happy go lucky dude. And I wish you a super creative life. But you're wrong about Jesus. And you never presented anything better than Jesus as far as the scores archived thread pages I can see.

But you know I have to believe that the Bible doesn't lie.
    The wicked are like the waves tossed about in the sea. There is no peace for the wicked.

We sinners (you too) need to be reconciled to God.
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 13:26
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Very good St. Glass Jaw.

Of course you can for years attack Christians in hundreds of ways subtle and rude. That's of course all just normal discussion.

But if some pointed talk comes back your way ??
    I could take hours to collect all the crappy things you said to and about me. But its a waste of my time.

Howl about awkward lashing out to get as ...[text shortened]... sea. There is no peace for the wicked.

Which one?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 13:381 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Which one?
    Is this the fellow who says he doesn't think I like to debate?

Come and debate.
    Why wouldn't the plain English -

indicate both and all parties ? "We" would solve the problem of "which" wouldn't it genius?

All individuals involved need to be reconciled to God.There is a lack of peace where ever one is not reconciled to God.
    That's just the way it is.

Shall I break it down further for you ?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 14:15
    Hmmm. Well, maybe Ghost-of-a-Duke just doesn't care for debating.
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 15:26
    Hmmm. Well, maybe Ghost-of-a-Duke just doesn't care for debating.
    In fairness sir, I wasn't logged in to the site. (unless you want me to debate telepathically? )
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 15:28

I see, so you left the faith and turned to vitriol?
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 16:273 edits

I could agree somewhat. My personal happiness is not all that is at stack.

But I never said faith in the faithful Jesus Christ "merely" accomplished only this. However bringing the light of life into one's heart is a useful byproduct of knowing Christ. Nothing wrong with that.

Nice try though.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 16:36
    For the record, Atheists can live fulfilling lives, on a certain level.

Probably most of the ones who do so are too busy to haunt around forums like this making sure the Gospel is "refuted".

Still, I could not back away from the fact that we are a three-dimensional being. And without the spiritual dimension of fellowship with God we are undercutting our own total humanity.

No apologies for that concept. Our total human makeup includes a facility for the divine and mystical realm.
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 17:46
    For the record, Atheists can live fulfilling lives, on a certain level.

Probably most of the ones who do so are too busy to haunt around forums like this making sure the Gospel is "refuted".

Still, I could not back away from the fact that we are a three-dimensional being. And without the spiritual dimension of fellowship with God we are undercutting ...[text shortened]... for that concept. Our total human makeup includes a facility for the divine and mystical realm.
    Do you think the same is also true for Christians, and that the more fulfilled ones are, 'probably too busy to haunt around forums like this making sure the Gospel is regurgitated?"
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 18:24
    Do you think the same is also true for Christians, and that the more fulfilled ones are, 'probably too busy to haunt around forums like this making sure the Gospel is regurgitated?"
    Not to butt in, but Christ did command His followers to preach the Gospel in what is known as the Great Commission. Not that that is why I’m here, I just enjoy discussing and debating Christianity.
  13. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 18:52

And I bet you never told anyone about the "torture" Jesus endured on the cross during your conversion period either.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 18:57
    Originally posted by @secondson
    And I bet you never told anyone about the "torture" Jesus endured on the cross during your conversion period either.
    Your post prompted me to recall a thought I had the other day about why an eternity in hell for those who reject Christ - instead of annihilationism - may well be correct.

If annihilationism were correct and people who chose to reject Christ simply ceased to exist upon physical death, why would God come to earth in bodily form and suffer torture and crucifixion to save His creation?

If the alternative to His creation being saved was His creation simply ceasing to exist, why would an omniscient and omnipotent God subject Himself to torture and one of the most, if not the most, painful of deaths?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 19:141 edit
    The Gospel has been "regurgitated" down through the centuries, That is how the Holy Spirit has come to people like passing a live candle flame down from wick to wick for 20 centuries.

If some of the same people are in the audience, it doesn't matter. It just then serves the purpose of making them harder and harder.

Different Christians have different gifts and different kinds of burdens. Some exercise their gift of helping people to understand the word of God. Some have gift and desire for other things.

If some of the same people like you sneer that what I am writing has been heard and regurgitated to the point of your boredom, that's okay. Its a inevitable matter on a medium like this.

You know you can always just not bother reading and responding to me if you're tired of "regurgitation".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree