"The darkness and emptiness in the heart!"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Feb 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
Your post prompted me to recall a thought I had the other day about why an eternity in hell for those who reject Christ - instead of annihilationism - may well be correct.

If annihilationism were correct and people who chose to reject Christ simply ceased to exist upon physical death, why would God come to earth in bodily form and suffer torture and c ...[text shortened]... nipotent God subject Himself to torture and one of the most, if not the most, painful of deaths?
If annihilationism were correct and people who chose to reject Christ simply ceased to exist upon physical death, why would God come to earth in bodily form and suffer torture and crucifixion to save His creation?

I am going to start a thread taking up Christ's death.
My point will be to try to explain that it was more than a mere human martyrdom.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Feb 18

While Ghost decides which whining he would like to run with today - too much regurgitation or that I do not like to debate, look for a new thread -

Jesus's death more then martyrdom

F

Moves
16 Feb 18

Originally posted by @sonship
Very good St. Glass Jaw.

Of course you can for years attack Christians in hundreds of ways subtle and rude. That's of course all just normal discussion.

But if some pointed talk comes back your way ??
I could take hours to collect all the crappy things you said to and about me. But its a waste of my time.

Howl about awkward lashing out to get as ...[text shortened]... sea. There is no peace for the wicked.

We sinners (you too) need to be reconciled to God.
"Glass jaw" and "sympathy"?

You have completely misunderstandood the OP.

F

Moves
16 Feb 18

Originally posted by @whodey
I see, so you left the faith and turned to vitriol?
Which - or whose - words in my OP can be described as "vitriol"?

F

Moves
16 Feb 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @secondson
And I bet you never told anyone about the "torture" Jesus endured on the cross during your conversion period either.
The "torture" that I was referring to is the fate that awaits non-Christians according to the religious dogma that sonship propagates. I don't doubt that Jesus was executed by the Romans for either sedition ot maybe blasphemy or that the method used was painful. Hundreds of thousands of people were executed that way

F

Moves
16 Feb 18

For the record, Atheists can live fulfilling lives, on a certain level.
So then what brought on the very psychologically unhealthy sounding words of yours that this OP is a response to?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Feb 18

If annihilationism were correct and people who chose to reject Christ simply ceased to exist upon physical death, why would God come to earth in bodily form and suffer torture and crucifixion to save His creation?

I am going to start a thread taking up Christ's death.
My point will be to try to explain that it was more than a mere human martyrdom.
Didn’t mean at all to suggest it was only martyrdom. His Resurrection proves it was much, much more than that.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Feb 18

Originally posted by @fmf
The "torture" that I was referring to is the fate that awaits non-Christians according to the religious dogma that sonship propagates. I don't doubt that Jesus was executed by the Romans for either sedition ot maybe blasphemy or that the method used was painful. Hundreds of thousands of people were executed that way
Don’t forget He was whipped to within an inch of His life before He was crucified and while He was executed by the Romans, it was at the urging of the Pharisees who said Jesus deserved death due to blasphemy (claiming to be the Son of God.)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Feb 18
1 edit

"Glass jaw" and "sympathy"?

You have completely misunderstandood the OP.
You think the OP changed your essential attitude ?

You're usually willing to dish out diminutive criticisms of persons. You're usually too thin skinned to take some of your own medicine.

You think one carefully crafted OP erases that long repeated history here?

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
16 Feb 18

The Gospel has been "regurgitated" down through the centuries, That is how the Holy Spirit has come to people like passing a live candle flame down from wick to wick for 20 centuries.

If some of the same people are in the audience, it doesn't matter. It just then serves the purpose of making them harder and harder.

Different Christians have different ...[text shortened]... you can always just not bother reading and responding to me if you're tired of "regurgitation".
I equate your posts to having 'Friends'on in the background (tv show). I've seen the episodes so many times that I almost know the script word for word. There is however something comforting in having it as a backdrop, even though I'm not really listening.

F

Moves
16 Feb 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @romans1009
Don’t forget He was whipped to within an inch of His life before He was crucified and while He was executed by the Romans, it was at the urging of the Pharisees who said Jesus deserved death due to blasphemy (claiming to be the Son of God.)
It was the Romans who executed him so it was probably sedition rather than blasphemy. The Jews would have wanted to stone him to death for blasphemy.

Anyway. What about he OP?

F

Moves
16 Feb 18

You think the OP changed your essential attitude ?

You're usually willing to dish out diminutive criticisms of persons. You're usually too thin skinned to take some of your own medicine.

You think one carefully crafted OP erases that long repeated history here?
What is your answer to the OP question?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Feb 18
1 edit

What is your answer to the OP question?
The only question your OP posses as far as I can see is -

But if it is something that is merely fending off the supposed "darkness and emptiness in the heart" without which one feels one cannot "know what one's human life is", is it such a healthy thing after all?

"Merely fending off" is your presupposition.
knowing God has that by-product, yes.
But that is not the end all and be all of being a Christian.

Healthier aspects to being in fellowship with God.
That does not make the "fending off emptiness and darkness" unhealthy. It just makes it not necessarily the most important thing.

I think these reply is wasted on you though.
Most of my replies to your questions are wasted on you.
I think you intend to twist and misunderstand Christians as much as possible.

We know you are able to twist any matter brought up by a lover of Jesus. ... a twist with a question mark. Watch. You're about to do it right now.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Feb 18
1 edit

No apologies needed.

"In Him was [ZOE] life, and the [divine ZOE] life was the light of men." (John 1:4)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Feb 18

It was the Romans who executed him so it was probably sedition rather than blasphemy. The Jews would have wanted to stone him to death for blasphemy.

Anyway. What about he OP?
Here’s a response to why the Jews didn’t kill Jesus...

“Why did the Jews bring Jesus to the Romans to be crucified, instead of just stoning him themselves? The Gospels give us many examples of crowds taking up stones to kill "sinners" (e.g. the adulterous woman, Jesus [who escaped], St. Stephen).

Thanks for your answer.

Answer by Fr. William A. Rice on 4/16/2002:
Legally, by Roman Law, the Jews were not permitted to execute anyone. Only the Romans could do that. However, the Roman authorities could execute a person at the request of the Jews, if they could be persuaded that the man deserved death. Now the Romans could not prevent murder in that society, just as we cannot do so in ours. St. Stephen and others were killed by a murderous mob. The Romans didn't mind that too much, unless it was going to cause them problems. But the Jewish authorities could not hold court, pronounce a sentence of death on a man, and then execute him by their own authority and their own soldiers. Obviously, the High priest and his ilk preferred to get rid of Christ by proper procedures for fear in the end it would backfire. It did anyway. Fr. Rice”