The Dhamma

The Dhamma

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
15 Feb 18

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
15 Feb 18

" Let an intelligent person come to me, sincere, honest, straightforward, I shall instruct him and point him towards the Dhamma, so that practicing according to instruction, Before long he would himself know, and himself see. Even so, indeed is freedom from the direct bond, That is from the bond of delusion. " -Gotama Buddha

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
16 Feb 18

We need to eat. How is that an illusion? We need to breathe. This is the state of affairs.

S. Korea

Moves
16 Feb 18

Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
" Let an intelligent person come to me, sincere, honest, straightforward, I shall instruct him and point him towards the Dhamma, so that practicing according to instruction, Before long he would himself know, and himself see. Even so, indeed is freedom from the direct bond, That is from the bond of delusion. " -Gotama Buddha
What, in your opinion, is direct bond?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
16 Feb 18

Originally posted by @apathist
We need to eat. How is that an illusion? We need to breathe. This is the state of affairs.
Moving from a diet of burgers and fries to pure light

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
16 Feb 18

Originally posted by @philokalia
What, in your opinion, is direct bond?
Attachment to physical things

S. Korea

Moves
16 Feb 18

Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
Attachment to physical things
What will you get when you break the bond to the attachment to physical things?

Moves
16 Feb 18

Hungry?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
16 Feb 18

Originally posted by @js357
Hungry?
And cold! I like stoic and apache and spartan, but I insist there is more than just hey accept suffering.

S. Korea

Moves
16 Feb 18

I am wondering, though, if any of the people who are humoring us with Buddhism here believe the underlying metaphysics.

Atheists nodding approval at Buddhism shorn of cosmological and metaphysical significance is nothing new.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
16 Feb 18

Enlightenment.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
16 Feb 18

I am wondering, though, if any of the people who are humoring us with Buddhism here believe the underlying metaphysics.

Atheists nodding approval at Buddhism shorn of cosmological and metaphysical significance is nothing new.
And Christians believing we are 'humoring' Buddhism but of course taking their religion seriously is nothing new either.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
16 Feb 18

The original Buddhism is not metaphysical.

S. Korea

Moves
16 Feb 18

Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
The original Buddhism is not metaphysical.
Yes and no.

But mostly no.

And perhaps the only thing that makes people say "yes" to this is because we do not know that much about the original Buddhism.

Have you read the Sutta Nippata? There's certainly a lot of the mystical and metaphysical in this, and it is regarded as the original Buddhist scriptures.

S. Korea

Moves
16 Feb 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Enlightenment.
You are a materialist though, right.

SO what is enlightenment to you. What does that look like.