Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Spirituality

Spirituality

1. Standard member karoly aczel
    the Devil himself
    15 Feb '18 20:25
  2. Standard member karoly aczel
    the Devil himself
    15 Feb '18 20:34
    " Let an intelligent person come to me, sincere, honest, straightforward, I shall instruct him and point him towards the Dhamma, so that practicing according to instruction, Before long he would himself know, and himself see. Even so, indeed is freedom from the direct bond, That is from the bond of delusion. " -Gotama Buddha
  3. Standard member apathist
    looking for loot
    16 Feb '18 02:57
    We need to eat. How is that an illusion? We need to breathe. This is the state of affairs.
  4. 16 Feb '18 06:24
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    " Let an intelligent person come to me, sincere, honest, straightforward, I shall instruct him and point him towards the Dhamma, so that practicing according to instruction, Before long he would himself know, and himself see. Even so, indeed is freedom from the direct bond, That is from the bond of delusion. " -Gotama Buddha
    What, in your opinion, is direct bond?
  5. Standard member karoly aczel
    the Devil himself
    16 Feb '18 07:08
    Originally posted by @apathist
    We need to eat. How is that an illusion? We need to breathe. This is the state of affairs.
    Moving from a diet of burgers and fries to pure light
  6. Standard member karoly aczel
    the Devil himself
    16 Feb '18 07:10
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    What, in your opinion, is direct bond?
    Attachment to physical things
  7. 16 Feb '18 09:08
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    Attachment to physical things
    What will you get when you break the bond to the attachment to physical things?
  8. 16 Feb '18 09:54
    Hungry?
  9. Standard member apathist
    looking for loot
    16 Feb '18 10:26
    Originally posted by @js357
    Hungry?
    And cold! I like stoic and apache and spartan, but I insist there is more than just hey accept suffering.
  10. 16 Feb '18 13:50
    I am wondering, though, if any of the people who are humoring us with Buddhism here believe the underlying metaphysics.

Atheists nodding approval at Buddhism shorn of cosmological and metaphysical significance is nothing new.
  11. Standard member Ghost of a Duke
    Zen Master
    16 Feb '18 15:21
    Enlightenment.
  12. Standard member Ghost of a Duke
    Zen Master
    16 Feb '18 15:23
    I am wondering, though, if any of the people who are humoring us with Buddhism here believe the underlying metaphysics.

Atheists nodding approval at Buddhism shorn of cosmological and metaphysical significance is nothing new.
    And Christians believing we are 'humoring' Buddhism but of course taking their religion seriously is nothing new either.
  13. Subscriber BigDoggProblemonline
    The Advanced Mind
    16 Feb '18 15:27

The original Buddhism is not metaphysical.
  14. 16 Feb '18 17:26
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    The original Buddhism is not metaphysical.
    Yes and no.

But mostly no.

And perhaps the only thing that makes people say "yes" to this is because we do not know that much about the original Buddhism.

Have you read the Sutta Nippata? There's certainly a lot of the mystical and metaphysical in this, and it is regarded as the original Buddhist scriptures.
  15. 16 Feb '18 17:27
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Enlightenment.
    You are a materialist though, right.

SO what is enlightenment to you. What does that look like.