1. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    07 Aug '07 15:44
    Originally posted by whodey
    I view Christ's response as not really answering the question. Notice that Christ answered a question with a question? It is like walking into a store and an employee asking if you work here. The response could be, "Do you not work here?" In giving such an answer one has not really answered the question at all.

I view Christ's response as being somewha ...[text shortened]... response simply bought him time because his time had not yet come to go to the cross.
    That’s an interesting take. It isn’t mine, nor does it appear to be the way the Orthodox view it (for that, I recommend Clendenin again: he does a thorough job of explicating this particular scriptural passage within the Orthodox soteriological framework, something I don’t want to spend the time to do)—nor, I suspect is it jaywill’s. I don’t see that negative connotation in either in the Johannine passage, nor in the context of Psalm 82. (I don’t dismiss the possibility of sarcasm, though.)

Nevertheless, it’s an interesting exegesis, and I will add it to my “list” of possibilities, in the same way that I recognize multiple rabbinical interpretations of various torah stories.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '07 15:54
    Originally posted by vistesd
    That’s an interesting take. It isn’t mine, nor does it appear to be the way the Orthodox view it (for that, I recommend Clendenin again: he does a thorough job of explicating this particular scriptural passage within the Orthodox soteriological framework, something I don’t want to spend the time to do)—nor, I suspect is it jaywill’s. I don’t see that nega ...[text shortened]... , in the same way that I recognize multiple rabbinical interpretations of various torah stories.
    I try not to follow along Orthodox lines. After all, since I am a follower of Christ it seems to be almost a requirement. 😛
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    07 Aug '07 17:34
    Originally posted by whodey
    I try not to follow along Orthodox lines. After all, since I am a follower of Christ it seems to be almost a requirement. 😛
    Well, I meant Orthodox as in Greek Orthodoxy. Whose views seem quite "unorthodox" from the perspective of Western "orthodox" Christianity--whatever that may be.

(There must be some punning in there!)

Nevertheless, consider my post a "tip of the hat" to acknowledge an exegesis that I cannot dismiss as invalid, whether it conforms to my own view or not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree