1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Jun '10 14:591 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Well there you go. I am willing to die for some of my "opinions". In fact, the famous quote comes to mind, "Give me liberety or give me death". So there you have it, Whodey is an out of control fundamentalist.
    You say you are willing to die for your opinion? Like the suicide bombers who so strongly believe in the paradise that they gladly go into martyrdome and bring infidels into their hell? Okay, whodey, I believe you are a fundamentalist.

I'm not.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Jun '10 19:341 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You say you are willing to die for your opinion? Like the suicide bombers who so strongly believe in the paradise that they gladly go into martyrdome and bring infidels into their hell? Okay, whodey, I believe you are a fundamentalist.

I'm not.
    Not so fast. What if your country was attacked by an outide power whose intention was to place you in bondage? Would you die for the cause to fight them? What if they took your country and tried to force you to do unspeakable things to the populace? Would you do what they say in order to save your skin no matter what atrocities you may commit?
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Jun '10 19:43
    Not so fast. What if your country was attacked by an outide power whose intention was to place you in bondage? Would you die for the cause to fight them? What if they took your country and tried to force you to do unspeakable things to the populace? Would you do what they say in order to save your skin no matter what atrocities you may commit?
    Why would they?

I'm talking about fundamentalism here. What are you talking about?
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    09 Jun '10 20:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So you admit your original claim was false?

[b]anyhow, they couldnt stop the followers of christ growing, so instead of fighting them, they joined them, and thats when the bible was written, under the governaance of King Constintene.

Surely you don't believe that? Where did you get that information, and why did you believe it? Or did you make it u ...[text shortened]... uld I take advice from someone who thinks that the Bible was written in English 2000 years ago.[/b]
    vishvahetu has his history wrong but his points are an echo of something valid.

The Gospels were written somewhere close to 100AD. The idea of collecting together a definitive collection of approved texts came more than a century later - becoming the Bible as we know it over another century. Those who object to the Church claiming authority in relation to the Bible are sadly confronted with the reality that it only exists because the early Church put it together - selecting for example only four from a great many candidate versions of the Gospels.

The Emperor Constantine - in the second half of the Fourth Century (say 350 on - I could check) - had experience of attempts to suppress the Christians by violence and concluded it could not succeed. So he afforded to Christians the same tolerance available to pagan religion, including money to build churches and tax relief for clerics. In return he required the Bishops to assist in secular administration and in managing the civil disorder frequently associated with religious disputes and rivalries. He himself did not become Christian though he was baptised on his deathbed. Naturally, any state supported church had to find ways - and quickly - to incorporate warfare into its practices.

Constantine and his officials then hit a problem. There were not only many Christian sects, each seeking tax relief and other benefits, but also they were in violent, intolerant dispute with each other, using the most offensive terms to accuse their rivals of being the pawns of Satan. Clearly the emperor had to determine who could and who could not enjoy the benefits of state support. Besides he regarded these unpleasant disputes as a scandal. His early impression of Christians had turned out to be naive and ill informed (but his officials might have told him that in a democracy).

One way he did this was to attempt, through councils of bishops under his supervision, to establish and enforce some agreement on what was Christian doctrine and to establish some firm authority among the bishops. From this same process emerged the importance of suppressing heresy and reportedly over 50 major heresies were identified, reflecting the great diversity of Christian beliefs and theology. The decisions in matters of faith were frequently determined through bribery and violence, in which the role of divine inspiration and guidance can only be perceived with the greatest imaginative contrivance.
  5. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jun '10 21:12
    Originally posted by finnegan
    vishvahetu has his history wrong but his points are an echo of something valid.

The Gospels were written somewhere close to 100AD. The idea of collecting together a definitive collection of approved texts came more than a century later - becoming the Bible as we know it over another century. Those who object to the Church claiming authority in relation ...[text shortened]... divine inspiration and guidance can only be perceived with the greatest imaginative contrivance.
    to finnegan

Well researched!
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 04:59
    Why would they?

I'm talking about fundamentalism here. What are you talking about?
    I'm talking about standing up for what you believe in. For example, if you believe that something will lead to bondage of some kind, or worse, I would think you would fight against it at all cost. This is the mind set of the fundamentalist. In fact, I say we all have a little bit in each one of us.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 05:11
    I'm talking about standing up for what you believe in. For example, if you believe that something will lead to bondage of some kind, or worse, I would think you would fight against it at all cost. This is the mind set of the fundamentalist. In fact, I say we all have a little bit in each one of us.
    Then you say every soldier there is in the world is a fundamentalist? Because they do something that they normally wouldn't do, like killing others, or take a mortal risc in order to make his command happy? No, that is not what I call fundamentalist.

I am not a fundamentalist. If you don't agree with me, I don't kill you for that.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 12:40

I'm not.
    It is not 'opinion' but belief. I am sure that you too will gladly die and even kill for your strongest beliefs. That is not what defines fundamentalism.
    Many Muslims would both die or kill for their beliefs as would many Christians. Those that wouldn't simply don't have very strong beliefs (a fairly large proportion). But this doesn't make strong believers fundamentalists, nor do they typically go around dying or killing.

The people most commonly labelled 'fundamentalist' are those who take specific verses and take them very very seriously. Others tend to say that the verses in question are taken out of context. When the verses in question call for violence, then it becomes a problem for the rest of us.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 12:46
    It is not 'opinion' but belief. I am sure that you too will gladly die and even kill for your strongest beliefs. That is not what defines fundamentalism.
    Many Muslims would both die or kill for their beliefs as would many Christians. Those that wouldn't simply don't have very strong beliefs (a fairly large proportion). But this doesn't make strong believ ...[text shortened]... n the verses in question call for violence, then it becomes a problem for the rest of us.
    Whodey say that there are a bit of fundamentalist in us all. I don't agree. If this his opinion or belief, doesn't matter much. Is he willing to die for this belief? I don't hink so.

If we want to make a redefinition of the word 'fundamentalism' then it would be appropriate to state it so we all discuss the same thing.

No, I don't think I'm willing to die, nor kill, for my opinion. I'm not that important.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 15:02
    Whodey say that there are a bit of fundamentalist in us all. I don't agree. If this his opinion or belief, doesn't matter much. Is he willing to die for this belief? I don't hink so.
    I don't know if he is willing to die for his beliefs. He certainly should be, or he doesn't really believe. The same should apply to you.

If we want to make a redefinition of the word 'fundamentalism' then it would be appropriate to state it so we all discuss the same thing.
    I think it is you that wants it redefined so state your definition. I am quite happy with the one given by Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamentalism
    Fundamentalism refers to a belief in a strict adherence to a set of basic principles (often religious in nature), sometimes as a reaction to perceived doctrinal compromises with modern social and political life.

No, I don't think I'm willing to die, nor kill, for my opinion. I'm not that important.
    Your opinions, sure, but what about your beliefs? The problem is, you probably don't have any beliefs that would require you to die or kill, but if you did, you would either be willing to do so, or you wouldn't really believe it. Its not about self importance, nor about imposing your opinion on others.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 15:32
    Then you say every soldier there is in the world is a fundamentalist? Because they do something that they normally wouldn't do, like killing others, or take a mortal risc in order to make his command happy? No, that is not what I call fundamentalist.

I am not a fundamentalist. If you don't agree with me, I don't kill you for that.
    We are all soldiers. We are all fighting. Not all of us lay down our lives but our lives reflect our "fight".

So where is your fight? Christ fought to attend to his "fathers business". His fight was spiritual in nature and he layed down his life for this fight. Likewise, his followers followed him and were thrown to the lions for their spiritual pursuits. Later Christiandom was hijacked by statists as they used the faith for political purposes and conquest. Their fight was for wordly power. Likewise, we see people in the middle east throwing their lives away to fight a political cause whether it be to fight the zionists or Western powers in general. Their fight is also political. So where is your fight whether you are willing to lay your life down for it or not?
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 15:392 edits
    So where is your fight? ... So where is your fight whether you are willing to lay your life down for it or not?

Your opinions, sure, but what about your beliefs? The problem is, you probably don't have any beliefs that would require you to die or kill, but if you did, you would either be willing to do so, or ...[text shortened]... t really believe it. Its not about self importance, nor about imposing your opinion on others.
    I don't fight. I don't have any need for it.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 17:22
    But that is only because your beliefs do not require you to. It is not that you wouldn't fight for your beliefs if they so required.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 17:41
    You fight on these boards do you not? Face it, you are a soldier for your particular world view.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '10 18:081 edit
    You fight on these boards do you not? Face it, you are a soldier for your particular world view.
    You mean chess? This is a game, for crying out loud. For fun! It doesn't make anyone a fundamentalist? Are you joking?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree